Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas stretched on only two bars?  (Read 6685 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Canvas stretched on only two bars?
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:43:52 pm »

So, rather than stretching on 4 bars, just mount the top and bottom and let gravity do its thing.  Kinda like hanging a scroll.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:06:51 pm by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault

davidh202

Re: Canvas stretched on only two bars?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:30:04 pm »

Cool Mike! Bars could even be made of different materials and finishes, dependant upon the nature of the image and desired presentation.

You might even consider drilling a couple of keyholes in the back of the top bar so it could be hung offa couple of nails without what some might consider the ugly cord  ;-)

David

enduser

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:10:28 pm »

We use the anodized aluminum bars the hang at the bottom of roller blinds.  They come in a range of colors and have a slot along their length.

Just slip the ends of the canvas into the slot having cut the bar to suit.  Torn over and run a silicon bead along the back edge.  There are push-in end caps in plastic that hide the rod ends nicely.

aduke

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:12:16 pm »

That looks very good. Are the bars full round or half round?

Thanks

Alan

enduser

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »

First time I've put up an image, sorry for the duplication.

enduser

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »

They are fully round but you can't easily use a tube cutter due to the slit.  I hacksaw and file smooth.  Finding a simple cutter for these bars is my next task.

We have found that some canvases curl in a bit at the edges after a while, and others don't.  A bit of experimental work needed there.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »

You can see a dozen variations on those things down at the mall, in the windows of every clothing store.  Quite a few companies manufacture bars just for that purpose, don't have any url's but they're out there.

Main drawback is that the unsupported edges develop curl that increases with time.

enduser

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:56 pm »

The advantage of the blind bars is price, the cost for 2 x 24" is about $1.80.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:10:37 am »

I was thinking of making my own, not necessarily round, but basically two pieces of wood and sandwich the canvas between them. Then you could use different methods to fasten it; gluing or screwing for example (brass screws with the heads cut off would leave a nice round brass 'pin').  Stain the wood to match the image.

I like the idea of the two holes in the back for mounting rather than the cord!  The metal rod could be used for a more contemporary look.  I'll have to look at those too.

I was wondering about the canvas curling on the sides, but it might actually add to the 'look'.

And I assume that as along as the (wooden) bars don't actually touch the image, ie. there's a border around the image like in my original post, then it wouldn't damage the image at all, longevity-wise.
Mike Guilbault

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 09:53:10 am »

I've been using this technique for nearly 20 years to display photos as large as 60 wide, using RC photo paper. Plastic electrical conduit (about $1.25/10') is available in various diameters. I cut it to proper length, and then cut a slot on my table saw. Then paint the pipes with black spray. To keep the print from sliding out, I cut a 1/4" strip of crack & peel mount board  & attach to the top & bottom edges of the print. Yes, I drill a small hole on each end of the top rail to slip on two small finishing nails properly placed on the wall.

bill t.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »

The engineering principle involved is that the heavier the bars, the more edge curl you will get, and the faster it will develop.  But too little weight will leave the print sensitive to air movement.

I used to make gallery window signs printed on long strips of Epson Premium Luster or EHM, screwing together pairs of 1x2x24 pine with the paper sandwiched in between.  A 2x6 foot banner was good for a few weeks before the curl went from looking artsy to looking tacky.  But it was cheap and pretty cool looking when fresh.  You can also get 3/4x3/4 inch "hobby wood" sticks at Lowes for cheap, coupla those at each end with a some Deft on them might look nice.

FWIW those edges are magnets for curious, greasy fingers.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »

FWIW those edges are magnets for curious, greasy fingers.

Good point Bill.  But it might be nice for in my own home at least where I tend to change photos more often - rather than always getting them fully framed.

Mike Guilbault

bill t.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 03:15:02 pm »

The bar thing is actually kind of upscale from what's possible.

I saw a gallery show with $5,000.00, unmounted prints attached to the walls with classic aluminum pushpins, one in each corner.  Have also seen prints hung from binder slips.  Awesome curls in every case.

bill t.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 04:03:16 pm »

Doing my next show with canvas hung from clotheslines.  Betcha I'm not the first.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:16 pm »

Yes it has. One needs to be very careful with presentation or else it can start to look "Pier 1ish.

Just saying.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:13:29 pm by petermfiore »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 09:34:46 am »

Yiikes... don't want to go there!
Mike Guilbault

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 12:12:47 pm »

framah

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 10:41:36 am »

How about just using a staple gun and staple them to the wall. Takes care of that nasty edge curling problem, eh? ;D

...orrrrr... duct tape!! Yup!! Duct tape it on all four sides to the wall. It will look like a frame if you step back a bit!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:16 am »

How about just using a staple gun and staple them to the wall. Takes care of that nasty edge curling problem, eh? ;D

...orrrrr... duct tape!! Yup!! Duct tape it on all four sides to the wall. It will look like a frame if you step back a bit!

...and duct tape does come in different colors.  You'll want to make sure the frame, er, duct tape color complements the image rather than competes with it.   ;D

bill t.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 12:37:43 pm »

True story...for my very first photo show I "framed" the dry mounted prints under window glass, with an inch of duct tape simulating a frame, the rest of the tape wrapped around the back.  Stuck to the wall with mirror-mounting tape.  When you've got $62 to do an entire show, that's what happens.  I bet framah is taking notes.

Flash forward 47 years, they're in a cardboard box in my garage, duct tape, fractured glass, and all.  The duct tape still looks good, which must mean it's archival.  Will bring in million$ at a Sotheby's auction when I'm dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up