Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Look at this Instagram (Nickelback Parody)  (Read 3875 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Look at this Instagram (Nickelback Parody)
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:56:17 am »

Look at this Instagram (Nickelback Parody) - CollegeHumor Video

from: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6853117/look-at-this-instagram-nickelback-parody

WalterEG

Re: Look at this Instagram (Nickelback Parody)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »

It'd be fantastically funny if it weren't so tragically true.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »

Too close to the truth.

RawheaD

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:34:06 pm »

Except it's all what the general public have been photographing for decades with their P&S cameras, compact digitals, Holgas, 110 cameras, etc., etc., etc., etc.

The only things that are different about Instagram are its ubiquity and the speed and width of dissemination of the images it produces.

Imagine what Facebook would've been like in the early 20th century when everybody and their dog owned a Kodak Brownie.

I honestly don't know what the hatred towards Instagram is all about. People are all hating on the tool, when it's really the people who use it that's bothering them.

I know plenty of hardcore GAS/LBA/Collectors who take tons of really, really bad, boring photographs with their $10,000 equipment.  Would you all hate on Hasselblad and Leica for those pieces of crap photos?  

With that said, I LOLed at the video :D

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 01:19:22 am »

their P&S cameras, compact digitals, Holgas, 110 cameras, etc., etc., etc., etc.

No mention of DSLRs?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 04:06:22 am »

Except it's all what the general public have been photographing for decades with their P&S cameras, compact digitals, Holgas, 110 cameras, etc., etc., etc., etc.
Not many people thought they were making "art" shooting with 110/Brownies/P&S.
Although the Holga crowd think they're more important than they are though.
The only things that are different about Instagram are its ubiquity and the speed and width of dissemination of the images it produces.
Quite, it's the self proclaimed importance of Instagram that annoys so many. Adding an effect filter rarely makes any photo better, it just disguises it's inadequacies.

RawheaD

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:59:07 am »

Quite, it's the self proclaimed importance of Instagram that annoys so many.

I wasn't aware that Instagram & Co. self-proclaimed their importance :) 

I thought they were just like any other Camera App for the iPhone / Android, that have those "artsy" filters.  Again, the only thing separating them from all the other artsy filter cameara apps is their ubiquity and the speed with which the images they produce are disseminated…that is entirely due to their ingenious infrastructure building (and now, integration with Facebook).

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 05:46:47 am »

Another illustration of why the whole digital experience is crap!

Oh all right I'm a miserable S.O.B. but I was looking through some of Steichens work again recently and whatever you feel about the various old timers there was just so much craftsmanship and dedication apparent in their work which just doesn't seem to happen with digital. Yes I know there are many excellent photographers working with digital and quite a few I admire on here, but it can often feel so soulless no matter how much time is spent with it in PS.

Now all I have to do is heave my lardy posterior from the chair and dig those chemicals out to prove the point..... nah, too much like hard work, pass me the dSLR would you!  :D

Good vid and the lass was really quite sexy.

MichaelAmira

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:31:38 pm »

Just to play devils advocate:

Is Instagram really deserving of such animosity? The photos stay on the app, or get placed on Facebook. I can't think of any Instagram photos making it to the bookshelves by people who think they are competing against career photographers and artists. The photos remain amongst the digital network with likeminded connections. Second, if it makes the user enjoy the experience of taking photos and sharing them with friends, I say power to them.

Michael wrote two articles that I think are pertinent to this discussion. First, he wrote of a fun couple dollar mini digi camera that he said was a blast. Second, he wrote about how he doesn't care if there are 50 pictures of a sunset, because the experience of being there and taking the photo is the important part. I believe the article was on postcard photos.

When I purchased my first "real" camera, it was when digital was booming and film was still lingering. The debates were more often than not coming from self righteous advocates on both sides who spoke not about the medium, but what photography means and should be. This is what I see now with negative comments in this thread. In my opinion, this makes you condescending and more self-righteous than the Instagram or Holga crowd. I've never heard this done the other way around, or heard an Instagram user talk negatively about another picture of a bird.

In any case, having a generation experience the pleasures of creating what they believe to be art (I stress they, because who are you to say it isn't?) can only be a good thing. If Andy Warhal can call soup cans art because he says it is, then hipsters have every right to snap a picture of clouds and enjoy it fully.

Michael

RawheaD

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »

I agree with Michael above.

The fact is, 10 years from now, we are going to have amongst us an amazing photographer who started off shooting using his/her Instagram (and similar) app on their smartphones, because that's our equivalent of the Brownie, Argus C3, Polaroid 600, Yashica P&S, etc.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 08:13:48 pm »

Oh all right I'm a miserable S.O.B. but I was looking through some of Steichens work again recently and whatever you feel about the various old timers there was just so much craftsmanship and dedication apparent in their work which just doesn't seem to happen with digital. Yes I know there are many excellent photographers working with digital and quite a few I admire on here, but it can often feel so soulless no matter how much time is spent with it in PS.

It's because they were artists first and foremost. The camera was their tool of choice.

Peter

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 04:52:43 am »

It's because they were artists first and foremost. The camera was their tool of choice.

Peter

Which I think underlines the point I was making and if not it certainly suggests that the craft of photography has lost it status as a pursuit with value to the majority. By this I mean that the pool of people who appreciate what good photography is all about is shrinking rapidly. But then we must settle upon what is meant by 'good' photography and that will never be agreed!

Digital image capture has moved the game on far further and faster than than the Box Brownies ever did for even with Kodak's innovation there still remained the need to retain some interest in the process of taking a shot and waiting for it to come back in the post whereas with a camera phone everything is just so instant,  casual and superficial.

Did we ever send doodles and sketches of our dinner or cat, no matter how bad, to each other before the web?  

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:55:53 am by Justinr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up