Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss 110 F2  (Read 12008 times)

TMARK

Zeiss 110 F2
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

Did Zeiss make this lens for any other camera besides the 200 series Blad? 

It can be used with many, if not all, of the FP shuttered MF cameras and Canon/Nikon with adapters, which is great. 

Thanks in advance,

TM

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Zeiss 110 F2
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:44 am »

Did Zeiss make this lens for any other camera besides the 200 series Blad? 

It can be used with many, if not all, of the FP shuttered MF cameras and Canon/Nikon with adapters, which is great. 

Thanks in advance,

TM

It is also available on the Rollei 6000 series and Hy6/AFi camera systems.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:30:28 am »

Thans Steve.  So it has a shutter and is manual focus?

Thanks,

T

jotloob

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:59:33 am »

The HASSELBLAD 2/110F and the 2/110FE lenses have no shutter and therefore can only be used with the 2000/200 Series cameras .
I can't speek for the ROLLEI version , but I assume that version has no shutter as well .
It is a manual focus lens .
Jürgen

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »

I have the Rollei version of this lens and it has a leaf shutter in the lens as all Rollei 6000 series lenses do.   It's a PQ shutter, meaning it can do up to 1/500th.  The rollei shutters are very good.  The zeiss 110/2 is a very nice optic.

Rolleiflex USA

TMARK

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 12:47:01 pm »

Thanks for the info everyone.

T

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

I have the Rollei version of this lens and it has a leaf shutter in the lens as all Rollei 6000 series lenses do.   It's a PQ shutter, meaning it can do up to 1/500th.  The rollei shutters are very good.  The zeiss 110/2 is a very nice optic.

Eirc...

How many iris blades does the Rollei version of the lens have.
I sometimes found that the 5 blade iris to be a limiting factor if
I was shooting a busy background and there was too much light
forcing me to stop down to f8 or so. Pentagons all over the place... something I have an aversion too.

I'm guessing that the Shutter and iris are Rollei so maybe they improved on the Hasselblad Iris.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:17:41 pm »

Eirc...

Ferd, is your glass half empty? This is a great lens.  It does not suffer from specular flare like some of the older Zeiss optics did. The pentagonal aperture images don't go away when you stop down, rather just get smaller.  But you knew that right? Just asking for the sake of asking or some other reason?  Anyhow the 110/2 does not have the zeiss family character in that regard, nor does it render hard lines as chromatic doublets in the bokeh like many zeiss lenses do.
Rolleiflex USA

FredBGG

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:09 pm »

Ferd, is your glass half empty? This is a great lens.  It does not suffer from specular flare like some of the older Zeiss optics did. The pentagonal aperture images don't go away when you stop down, rather just get smaller.  But you knew that right? Just asking for the sake of asking or some other reason?  Anyhow the 110/2 does not have the zeiss family character in that regard, nor does it render hard lines as chromatic doublets in the bokeh like many zeiss lenses do.

I simply asked because I did not know.....
You mentioned that the Rollei shutter was very good... Being that shutters and iris are generally very close in the lens body I simply thought that
it may be different from the Hasselblad iris.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:09:40 pm by FredBGG »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 02:42:38 am »

The rollei shutters are indeed quite good. They are commonly used in industrial and scientific applications that require highly accurate and repeatable times as well as longevity.  I understand from a person that uses them as such that the Rollei shutters typically go over a million frames before needing service.  I think that's very good.  The copal 0 electronic shutters which are very similar to what's in the 6000 series lenses also can go up to 1/500 which is much faster than the others available and they have just announced ones that will go over 1/1000th.  They can be controlled in 1/10th stop increments. So yes, quite good and probably much better than what is in the hasselblad lenses.
Rolleiflex USA

Lacunapratum

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »

Great lens with razor-thin depth of field at 2.0.  Superb bokeh.  For portraits, the focal length is a little short for my liking.  People appear too close at times.  Nevertheless - dramatic photographs.  If you focus on the eyes, the nose appears quite blurred.  Stopped down to 4.0, the lens is as sharp as all the others in the Zeiss line-up. 

Zeiss recalculated the lens for the Rolleiflex system to fit the large shutter into the lens.  Thus, the optical formula is slightly different.   

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 12:23:47 am »

Zeiss recalculated the lens for the Rolleiflex system to fit the large shutter into the lens.  Thus, the optical formula is slightly different.   

I had read that Rollei had a hard time fitting the shutter in this lens, but not anything about different optical formulation.   No question this is an amazing lens, though.  Mine is quite sharp wide open, but as mentioned DOF is very thin.
Rolleiflex USA

chrismuc

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »

Question regarding sharpness of the Zeiss 110f2:
I once tested a sample of that lens which I intended to buy and it was so mediocre (very soft at f2 and f2.8 in the center, lots of CA and longitudinal red/green CA outside center at any aperture) compared to a Zeiss ZE 100f2 or a Contax 645 80f2, so I did not get it.
Can someone upload center crops at f2 or f2.8 and out-of-center crops at any aperture?

Lacunapratum

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »

I am attaching two files that show the wonderful characteristics of the 110mm Planar at f/2 with the Hy6 and the Sinarback eMotion 75L.  The files are jpgs at reduced resolution. 

FredBGG

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:58 am »

The Hasselblad 110mm f2 is not the sharpest lens around, but that is not what makes it such a nice lens.
It's more about how it looks wide open.
While it is not that sharp the bokeh and shallow depth of field give what is in focus more apparent or perceived sharpness.
The contrast of detail in the in focus areas with the softness of the out of focus areas is what does this.

It does have fairly pronounced Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations (also called Bokeh fringing), but this is common with most very wide aperture lenses.
This is actually one of the things that gives the images a sense of depth.

Sometimes a lenses "technical defects" ad up in an interesting manner producing a quite a characteristic look.

Another issue is finding a nice copy as this is now an old lens. I have seen quite a few with some haze from the thread grease that over heated in a car or something.
Taking it apart and cleaning it will improve sharpness and contrast. Also how the front and rear elements have been cleaned makes quite a difference.

When picking up one of these you need to check for clarity. To do so put a small point source light pointing at the lens on a dark background and look through the lens.
Sometimes a lens that looks clean in even light will show problems this way.

It took me a while to find a nice one and I like the results from it.

Hasselblad 110mm f2

It one of the nicest bokeh lenses in MF. The Contax/Rollei 80mm f2 being another, but IMHO the "grand master" is the Fuji gx680 180mm 3.2

Fuji 180mm f3.2

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:00:42 am by FredBGG »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 01:11:14 am »

These were all shot with the 110mm for Rollei on a P20 back. None retouched or worked over other than a quick look in C1 or application of style in case of the b&w one.  Not sure any were wide open but close, should give you an idea.  Sorry these are 50% size jpegs.  Full res even from the old p20 are too big.  1st image just for the look, even though her eyes not in focus.   Other images show how thin DOF is and the challenges to get both eyes in focus.  Some of these were probably f/2.8 or smaller.  After I had the 110/2 for a little while, I had to go and get my focus screen calibrated for it because the DOF was so thin.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:17:00 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 01:12:47 am »

Check out the image with the green top on bottom - should show you sharpness away from center near wide open. On second thought, I'm pretty sure this wasn't wide open. Wide open only gives you about 1cm of DOF. This must have been stopped down some so you'll just have to believe me, this is a sharp lens wide open. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:29:50 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 02:34:25 am »

Fred, the bokeh in my 110 images looks different than yours.  Maybe the rollei version is different or you mistakenly got your files mixed up and that 2nd shot isn't from the 110/2?  I'm looking at the lower image of your son with the sort of churning bush behind him.   Here's my son at f/2 for comparison.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:45:47 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

FredBGG

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:41 am »

Yup the second is with the Fuji gx680 180mm.3.2 on polaroid.

Behind him there is a thin hedge about two to three feet behind him. It was also back light by the sun.
The other one is 110mm f2.

This is the hedge that was right behind him.

I edited the post to make it more clear.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:14:25 am by FredBGG »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:44 am »

Oh did you have that written before?   Sorry the way I have my forum configured I don't see your posts, but when I post for some reason I can see your images and a portion of your text but it doesn't display all of it.  I assumed you had posted on topic and both pictures were from the 110/2.    

I had been thinking to buy the 180/3.2 for my GX 680 but may skip it after seeing that image.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:27:59 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up