Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: contemplating gator/masonite for all sizes of canvas  (Read 925 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
contemplating gator/masonite for all sizes of canvas
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:54:53 am »

Hi folks, I sell a fair number of 18x24-24x30 canvases and currently use the ig wrappe system. I like it fairly well but I like the look and guaranteed no-sag of some of the much bigger canvases I've done on gaotr better. I'm curious, when you do a mounted canvas, what's your process? for my big ones I've build a 2"x1.5" thick frame (wice by deep) out of select pine, mounted my canvas to 1/2" gator and glued that to the pine frame, I then wrap and staple the sides. It works and looks nice and seems like I've got to be doing it the hard way. would love your input.
MArk

framah

Re: contemplating gator/masonite for all sizes of canvas
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:27 am »

No... sounds like your good with that method.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: contemplating gator/masonite for all sizes of canvas
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:55:00 pm »

I know a water colorist who wraps his art prints around the sides of 1/2" Gator.  Front is glued as well as 6" long, blunted v-shaped wings around the back.  Have never seen him do it, but he says he uses a thick rubber burnisher to flatten out and sort of stretch the wings.  Looks great.

If anybody knows how to wrap thick canvas around 1/8" Masonite without developing a big ridge along the folded edges, lemme know.

About a year ago I built a sample frame as you describe, Masonite on the front with 1x2 Aspen board glued to the back of the Masonite as sides, glued with Miracle Muck.  The bond has completely separated on two of the Aspen sides, even though I very thoroughly clamped them up while the glue was drying.  The glue sticks to the Aspen, not the Masonite.  I'm thinking there was some sort of process related coating already on the Masonite, maybe I had a sample of "tempered" Masonite which I believe does not glue well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up