Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MAP of ICELAND by photographers... for photographers!  (Read 16992 times)

Michael_Paris

• INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER
MAP of ICELAND by photographers... for photographers!
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »

Hi Folks,

My name is Michael LEVY, i am a french photographer / designer / publisher specialized in travel & photography.
I thought that you guys on LL forum would be interested to know that i designed the very first map of Iceland made for photographers.

First map of a future large collection (The Southwest maps should be out in 2013), this Iceland map was out in may 2012, and I am proud to be distributed now in several countries now including Iceland.

I must say that I have great feedbacks about this map, forgive my lack of modesty ! : )
I also wrote an eROADBOOK (in PDF) about Iceland that match perfectly with the map.

The guide and the map have been translated by a professional english translator.

You can have a look at it here :
http://www.international-photographer.com/maps/iceland/

In case you plan a trip there, i must warn you that i have only 100 copies left.

Don't hesitate to ask questions (or give any comments !) if you have some.

Thanks a lot for reading me,
Michael.
http://www.international-photographer.com

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: MAP of ICELAND by photographers... for photographers!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:42 am »

I have no doubt this was a lot of work to put together (I have been to Iceland many times myself) and I commend you for taking the time and making the effort to create it. However, 20 pounds for a map + freight is kind of on the steep side isn't it?

Just an idea - But why not make a digital version for download that is say $5? (would be a better match to your e-book as well) You would probably sell 10x as many and since photographers tend to carry maps and things on their ipads and iphones it would be much more convenient in the field. Personally, I wouldn't pay 20 pounds for a map; but I would pay $5 for a digital copy even though I have been there many times as there is a convenience that comes with having a digital copy that takes up no space.

Regardless - congratulations on a well achieved project.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:48:30 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:36:35 am »

I agree with Josh.  I have no interest in lugging a paper map around any more.  Not to mention trying to use it in a windy environment.  I would be interested in a digital version for my Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

RawheaD

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:27 am »

+1 for a digital copy.

Michael_Paris

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:35 am »

Thank you very much for this feedback Josh. Very interesting to have your opinion.

Yes, 20 € + shipping is something. The reason is that this map is entirely made "by hand" and in small number of copies. That is my first edition.

Of course i think of a digital version of the map !! Since the beginning. But i don't want to sell only a PDF out of the print version, wich whould be very easy.

I want to do the best tool that you can find : a real digital product, easy to use and read on a tablet, and that of course you can use offline.
I will defenetly work on it, should be out in 2013.

I will keep the printed map because i just love "the real thing", I love maps, i love ink and paper, and i think that if you take a look at my map, and won't regret for a printed version (some use it as a poster, and there is a "surprise" in the back of it).

Needless to say, in this kind of windy country, a digital version will be handy sometimes.

To my opinion, you need both, and that is what i plan to do, as soon as possible, and for many countries where you can find great landscapes.

I'll keep you updated !

Michael.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:53:36 am by Michael_Paris »

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:14:26 pm »

I hope to make it to Iceland in 2015 or 2016
Never have been there, but the hard copy map seems like a good start to day dream and plan the trip.
The digital version to actually have with you on the trip.

I would like to see a deal that if you buy the map, a digital copy is free.

My .02
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:05:26 pm »

I just finished a review of this new map HERE on my blog.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Gel

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 05:13:07 pm »

i take my ipad everywhere, I can have it on my phone too, digital map please. Paper wears out and blows away.

Michael_Paris

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 03:51:02 am »

The Digital map is on the work table. It should be out in may 2013, optimised for laptops, tablets and smartphone.

The goal is to be able to use it in the wilderness, without any internet connexion.

In the meantime i work on the paper version 2nd edition.

I'll keep you updated.

Best wishes from Paris,

Michael.

mac_paolo

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:02:05 am »

The Digital map is on the work table. It should be out in may 2013, optimised for laptops, tablets and smartphone.
The goal is to be able to use it in the wilderness, without any internet connexion.
Similar products are on markets for years, especially for hiking or off-roading. They're usually even cheaper, which is nice.
I'm still wondering why it didn't come out in digital format first.
I mean, maybe 5 years ago it wouldn't have surprised me.
Good work! :)

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 08:21:26 am »

Go into any bookshop in Reykjavik and you will find plenty of great maps of Iceland and plenty of good books about photography in Iceland. Combined, a photography book and a map will cost less than £20.

But having the 2-in-1 combination in a single sheet might have some advantages, especially if an iPad compatible e-version comes out at a reasonable price of, say £3 - £4.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

NickyTaylorphoto

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »

Congratulations what a great idea. When I finally get around to visiting I will deffo look up the digital version of the map.

Michael_Paris

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 04:54:46 am »

Go into any bookshop in Reykjavik and you will find plenty of great maps of Iceland and plenty of good books about photography in Iceland. Combined, a photography book and a map will cost less than £20.

To my sense, the question is not to find a map and a book for less than €20, but to find the map that you really need. I bought a lot of maps in Iceland (including antique ones) because i just love to collect them.

But i designed the map that i really needed as a photographer,a map that i use when i go there for myself or for leading workshops. The price is due to the very small production of the 1st edition.

And i am proud to sell some even to icelanders!

The digital version of the map will be a great product to have on your tablet for sure, but i will do my best to keep a printed version, even if it costs a lot to produce.

Nothing compare to a beautiful printed map. And by the way, the 2nd edition will be on a "special" paper... I'll tell you more very soon.

MatthewCromer

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 02:02:27 pm »

In the meantime, anyone who likes can just buy the paper version and use a high resolution digital camera and take a picture of it, then convert it to PDF for their personal use. . .

SnorriGunnarsson

• IcelandOutside Phototours
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 11:17:20 am »

Looks great Michael, I would buy a digital copy for sure

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:01:22 am »

There are waterproof papers that you can print in color.  They're waterproof, do not tear, you can write on them, print on them from your photo printer, fold them (won't crease) and are great for use in the field in rain, mud, sleet, in boats, etc.   I use them for hiking when I print topographic maps on them.  Something to consider.  

http://www.amazon.com/iGage-Weatherproof-Paper-8-5-x11/dp/B00006687T

Michael_Paris

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 09:32:46 am »

The digital version is on the way folks. We are developping it, it should be out Q2.

The 2nd edition of the printed version of the map will be on a waterproof / tearproof paper.

chandsa

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 10:11:21 pm »

Michael,

Irrespective of whether its a digital version or a hard copy, I just want to say "Thank you!" for your dedication and hard work to produce something like this. Visiting Iceland is on my list of "must photograph" locations in the near future and hopefully I'll get to do that in the next couple of years. I certainly will be looking forward to version 2 of the map.

Cheers!

kgelner

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 11:01:47 pm »

There are waterproof papers that you can print in color.  They're waterproof, do not tear, you can write on them, print on them from your photo printer, fold them (won't crease) and are great for use in the field in rain, mud, sleet, in boats, etc.   I use them for hiking when I print topographic maps on them.  Something to consider.  

http://www.amazon.com/iGage-Weatherproof-Paper-8-5-x11/dp/B00006687T

I was going to say the same thing, I bought the iceland map and guide, and I like it quite a bit - but I would like it even more were it printed on a more durable tear-and-waterproof material. 

Thanks for making the map!

Michael_Paris

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 01:24:51 am »

I would like it even more were it printed on a more durable tear-and-waterproof material. 

Then you will enjoy the second edition. It will be printed on tear-and-waterproof material, and will show much more informations... It is still in R&D, It should be out in may 2013.

The first edition was out of stock but I could acheive to have a little stock back from Iceland. It's becoming a collector! : )
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up