Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kudos to Epson Tech Support and Shame on Canon!  (Read 2378 times)

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
Kudos to Epson Tech Support and Shame on Canon!
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:15 pm »

It's not often that we read about positive experiences with respect to problem solving when we encounter issues with our pro graphics printers... whether they be Epson, Canon or HP.  I'm as guilty as the next photographer in that I'm quick to complain when something is amiss and I don't take the time to thank the people responsible for resolving problem issues that shut my printer down.  

Two weeks ago my "Low Ink" light came on for Vivid Magenta Ink while printing an image on my Epson 3880 printer.  I wasn't concerned as I had a back-up cartridge and know from years of printing with my Epson 9600 that one can still make a number of prints before the cartridge hits the wall.  This printer has been the most trouble-free printer I've ever owned as well as THE most economical in terms of ink waste.  I think I've only had to do one cleaning cycle in the two years I've owned it!  

The ink ran out and I inserted the new cartridge.  The panel on top of the printer immediately read "Ink Low" for the new cartridge I just installed.  Puzzled, I began a new print and the printer stopped after printing just two inches of the new image.  The panel now read "Ink Out" for the new Vivid Magenta cartridge I had just installed.  

I removed the cartridge, shook it again for a full minute and reinserted it.  "Ink Out" was still indicated for this ink.  I shut off the printer and waited a while, reinstalled the cartridge and the warning still persisted.  I tried in vain to remove and reinsert the cartridge several more times before giving up and calling Epson Tech Support.  

I reached Jim Weeks and he was kind and cooperative.  He mentioned that on rare occasions a bad cartridge will sneak through and this is probably what happened.  He offered to send me a replacement via Fed Ex and confirmed my correct address.  I asked him if he wanted me to send in the defective cartridge and stated that I'd gladly do so and he said "I'll call you if we need to see it."  That was it.

The cartridge just arrived via Fed Ex.

I very much appreciate the integrity Epson showed in standing behind their product.  It shows that Epson cares...

The flip side is a recent experience with Canon.  I had the Maintenance Tank light flashing on the Canon for the past weeks.  I've replaced only the Yellow cartridge since purchasing the printer and all of the other colors are well over half full.  I purchased the 8300 after reading many testimonials on this and other forums about how "frugal" the Canon was with respect to the cleaning cycles when compared to Epson Wide Format printers.  While I had gone through at least two full 220 ml sets of ink on my Epson 9600 prior to having to replace a Maintenance Tank, it seemed unconscionable that the Canon Maintenance Tank would fill up with less than half of the original 330ml cartridges used!

I called Canon and explained the situation to their Tech Support.  I spoke with a gentleman who expressed no concern and stated as matter of fact as he could "sounds like you need a new maintenance tank."  His mastery of understatement was laudable!

I then called IT Supplies who I bought the printer from.  Matt was out so Chris handled my call.  I simply asked if this was normal: that a Maintenance Tank would fill with less than half the original cartridges used?  I explained that I purchased the Canon because it was reputed to be much more frugal with ink waste (than Epson) but that my personal experience was certainly proving otherwise.  My indoor humidity is a constant 67%, which is optimum for a piezo printer like the Epson's.  Canon's are supposedly more resistant to plugging with dry conditions so 67% would appear to be even more in the Canon's favor.

Chris said he'd do some research and get back to me.  That was last week... and I haven't heard from him since.

I very much appreciate that Epson cares and wish that Canon would show a little more concern at what I feel is clearly a problem.      
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:51:35 pm by wildstork »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Kudos to Epson Tech Support and Shame on Canon!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »

Priming the 8300 or any large printer with long ink feed lines uses up a lot of the maintenance tank capacity.  Put in a new tank, give it some time.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:20:17 pm »

Do you keep your printer on all the time, or switch it off right after printing?
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

enduser

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »

No chance you reinserted the empty Epson tank?  I did once and cursed it, thinking it was the new one.  It Supplies aren't Canon of course.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:05:02 pm by enduser »

wildstork

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 07:06:36 pm »

Printer is left on all the time.  It needs to be in order for the printer to go through it's normal agitation cycles.

I'm just curious: for those who own an 8300 printer, is this normal?  Did you need to replace your Maintenance Tank with less than half of your original cartridges used?

wildstork

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:15:26 pm »

Enduser:  I opened the new Epson Vivid Magenta and inserted it immediately.  The used one was placed in the blue wrapper and inserted in the box the new one came in and then put in the trash.  There's a significant difference in weight between full and empty cartridges so making a mistake like that would be difficult if one is paying attention, especially given the need to agitate the new ink before inserting the cartridge.

W/respect to IT Supplies:  I've bought all of my paper from them for years as well as the printer.  They're generally pretty good about answering questions so this surprised me.  All I expected was an answer as to whether this was normal or not as I suspected a problem with the printer given the ink waste.  Once again my Epson's have never filled their waste tanks anywhere near as quickly and the Canon was reputed to be much less wasteful in cleaning cycles than the piezo heads on Epson printers.  If what I'm experiencing is normal on the Canon printers this would tend not to support what I've been reading on this and other forums. 

And though IT Supplies is not Canon, I tried with Canon and they just said "buy another maintenance tank."  There was no effort to answer my question so I thought I'd try IT since they've sold a lot of these printers and should be very knowledgeable about any existing issues.   

Darrel

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:54 pm »

If you go into service mode you can reset your maintenance tank on the Canon.  The tank just holds some absorbent felt which is easily unsnapped apart.  You could replace the felt with some shamwow etc, or wash what they have.  When I did this on mine there was still a ton of capacity so you could possibly just rearrange the original felt and use again.  Take out the tank, open it up and have a look.

wildstork

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:51:12 pm »

Darrel,
This is what I used to do with my 9600 and I spent a good amount of time searching for a similar option on the net prior to buying a new tank for the Canon.  The consensus is that resetting the tank is possible before and only before the tank is full.  Once the tank indicates full you're cooked.  This is what I've read on numerous posts regarding this issue so I have to assume that you pulled yours and exchanged the stuffing when you first saw the warning that the tank would soon need to be replaced. 
Please correct me if I'm misinformed as $90 is a heck of a price to pay for some paper towels laid into a flat box to absorb waste ink.

Darrel

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 11:45:05 am »

I believe you are correct, only once it gives the warning.  But yes it is an expensive diaper, no need to ever buy a new one.

http://www.inkjetcarts.us/support/article/canon-ipf8300-service-menu-enter-97.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up