Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoAcute - or alternative?  (Read 9402 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
PhotoAcute - or alternative?
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:41 pm »

Hi

Has anybody heard from Eugene (PhotoAcute) recently? I have not gotten response since late october, and I am in doubt if to be annoyed or worried.
And neither will help me find an alternative super resolution stacking program, it seems. The ImageJ plug-in is b&w only. One is Matlab based with a GUI, but Matlab does not seem to be obtainalble for normal private mortals. Many others are intended for video and use file formats other than camera raw or TIF. Others are based on single images rather than stacking, which seems to imply guesswork rather than real information. Would anybody know a real alternative to PhotoAcute? (something with a GUI) Mac preferred, but...

Kind regards - Hening.

Vladimirovich

Re: PhotoAcute - or alternative?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

Hi

Has anybody heard from Eugene (PhotoAcute) recently? I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeadGgT57Ks 

Published on Nov 23, 2012 by Eugene Panich

try again

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:12:33 am »

Thank you, Vladimirovich. I'll be annoyed then ;-) and wait...Good light! Hening

jrp

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »

They don't seem to support the new Nikon cameras, Windows 8, etc. I guess that they are on their way out.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:21 pm »

They don't seem to support the new Nikon cameras, Windows 8, etc. I guess that they are on their way out.

as far as I remember if you want to have a support for a new camera you need to do profiling (camera + lenses) and send them the results - I did that before and got several free licenses... otherwise they were hardly releasing a dozen of new versions a month before...

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 05:54:10 pm »

> They don't seem to support the new Nikon cameras, Windows 8, etc. I guess that they are on their way out

I'm afraid so. This would be utterly regrettable, since there does not seem to be an alternative.

> if you want to have a support for a new camera you need to do profiling (camera + lenses) and send them the results

Yes. I, too, have received the license earlier for sending test shots. By the end of october, I sent shots for my Contax lenses for the Canon 5D2. Lately, I asked when I could exspect to be informed when the profiles were released, and if he would make profiles for 2 Nikkors for the Canon, and got no answer.

So sad.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:07:48 pm »

> if you want to have a support for a new camera you need to do profiling (camera + lenses) and send them the results

Yes. I, too, have received the license earlier for sending test shots. By the end of october, I sent shots for my Contax lenses for the Canon 5D2. Lately, I asked when I could exspect to be informed when the profiles were released, and if he would make profiles for 2 Nikkors for the Canon, and got no answer.

So sad.

the last time I did (a year ago ?) - it was 20 days before Eugene emailed me back that samples were good and combo will be added in the next release and more time before the next release happened... just bug them again.

kirkt

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »

Hi

Has anybody heard from Eugene (PhotoAcute) recently? I have not gotten response since late october, and I am in doubt if to be annoyed or worried.
And neither will help me find an alternative super resolution stacking program, it seems. The ImageJ plug-in is b&w only. One is Matlab based with a GUI, but Matlab does not seem to be obtainalble for normal private mortals. Many others are intended for video and use file formats other than camera raw or TIF. Others are based on single images rather than stacking, which seems to imply guesswork rather than real information. Would anybody know a real alternative to PhotoAcute? (something with a GUI) Mac preferred, but...

Kind regards - Hening.

Hening - what ImageJ plug-in are you using for super-resolution?  I'd like to try it - I know it is somewhat of a pain, but could you super-res the black and white versions of each of the R, G and B channels independently and then combine them in Photoshop/Photoline/Gimp?

Also, you may want to try Octave in place of Matlab - Octave is a free, open-source computing environment analogous to Matlab, and runs many routines written in the Matlab scripting language.

I'll do a google search for the super-res plug-in for ImageJ and see what I can come up with.  I currently use Fiji, a more robustly maintained ImageJ ("Fiji" = Fiji Is Just ImageJ).

kirk

kirkt

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:11:31 pm »

Hi Kirk

Thank you for your concern.
Yes Parallel Superresolution is the ImageJ plug-in that I referred to.
Treating the R,G, and B channels separately sounds indeed laborious.
Thanks for the tips for Fiji and Octave.  A quick search for "super resolution stacking software matlab gui" also turned up these:
http://www.ece.lsu.edu/ipl/Software.html
http://staff.utia.cas.cz/sroubekf/research/bsr_gui.html
But there was another one which I fail to retrieve right now.

Thanks again! - Hening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up