Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP with D-roller  (Read 3315 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
HELP with D-roller
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »

While this isn't about "Printers, Papers, and Inks," it's the closest match that I can find.

I purchased a D-roller from Shades of Paper a couple of years ago. I have to say, they do what they are designed to do well. BUT, the adhesive that the manufacturer uses SUCKS! It slowly allows the rubber edge to creep over time. Mine has moved a good three inches. I've read that other people have experienced this same problem. Note that D-roller will not replace them.

The manufacturer sent me replacement rubber strips. I would like to install them, but I can't figure out how to remove the old strips. I can remove the rubber strips. But the "tape" will not pull off, nor will solvents remove it. Since the "tape" is comprised a strip of mylar, coated on both sides with adhesive, solvents will not penetrate the mylar tape. Sooooooo frustrating!!
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: HELP with D-roller
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:55:57 pm »

Same thing here Jan.
Purchased mine several years ago from Shades.
Talked to Jim Doyle about this several weeks ago and found out pretty much the same information,no repair service or exchanges.
My adhesive let go on the very beginning of the roll creating a bubble. It could not be used that way si I pulled the adhesive to get rid of the bubble and in doing so tore the material. Now it is unusable unless I can get the adhesive loose where it is attached to the roller.
If I can make that work I will cut off 8" of the torn material,reattach and see if I can salvage this.
Jim gave me D&K's phone number in Ohio.
I will call them before attempting the repair. Hopefully they will help me with the type of adhesive used an a cleanup solvent.
For what I paid for this a simple repair and exchange program would have made me happy. (Cost notwithstanding.)
Now I am not a very happy camper.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:13:15 pm by Dan Berg »

bellimages

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:12:00 pm »

I was told that things wear out and need to be replaced. This has nothing to do with wearing out -- there are no moving parts to wear out. It has to do with the manufacturer finding an adhesive that will HOLD the rubber to the mylar. There are such adhesives. They just need to find one.

In the meantime, I will pursue my investigation of this problem!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:33:09 pm by bellimages »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:26:38 pm »

I know both Randy and Jim to be pretty stand up guys and put no blame on them.
That being said they have a whole lot more say in this with D&K then maybe you or I.

Just to make you feel better I have used my D-Roller less then a dozen times since new.
If it becomes a boat anchor that's about 20 bucks each for every piece of paper I straightened. Ouch!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:28:21 pm by Dan Berg »

bellimages

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

I've used mine a few more times than a dozen, or even two. But the problem occurred early on. It's an unfortunate situation for all parties involved ... since it only creates headache (for the retailer, and the customer).

Let me know if you come up with a means of removing the adhesive.

framah

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:02:52 am »

If you ever get the rubber off the roll, go out and buy a pull down blind from Home  Despot and cut it off the roller and use THAT for wrapping the paper around the D roller.
I made my own "D roller" using a cardboard mailing tube, about 3" diameter and a window blind. REAL cheap!! and it works fine for flattening paper.

It doesn't have to be glued to the tube, it only needs to be long enough to go around the tube enough times to hold the paper in place. A piece of paper rolled around that and taped closed will keep it in place till you are ready to unroll it.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:16 pm »

If you ever get the rubber off the roll, go out and buy a pull down blind from Home  Despot and cut it off the roller and use THAT for wrapping the paper around the D roller.
Unfortunately, what makes the D-roller significantly better than a roller blind is the 1 mm thick strip and the edges. Its lack of adherence is the problem.

Brian A

Damir

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:03:44 am »

Is it really so hard to make the same strip at the edge of roller blind? I just put dubleside mount tape over the edges of home made D-roller, just left the plastic that prevent upper side from contact with a glue. It works perfect. It is in use for several years now, without any problem.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:09:45 am »

My D-roller has the same problem with the rubber on the sides slowly migrating off the mylar.  I have never really understood what the rubber edge is for.  Baed on the others comments it seems this a standard issue.  I was thinking about purchasing a new one hoping that they had figured out a better solution, but obviously this is not the case.

What I have done, as a stop gap, (mine gets rolled about 20 times a month).  As the rubber goes over the edge, I cut it and then place it back in below where the
separation has occurred.  I used standard contact cement (which on it's own won't hold for long) but then cover the rubber with stock clear packing tape.  This tape is about 2x the strength of normal.  It will hold to the mylar and seems to work for about 6 months.  Whats is so strange is how the rubber won't pull off but instead moves slowly upwards towards the edge.  I feel it would be a real mess to try and remove all the original rubber and then lay down a new set,

My actual mylar has not had any separation issues from the steel bar. 

I love the tool, but it does need a better design for this function based on the 300.00 price point. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:46 am »

I've done the same thing as Framah and it works fine.  Total cost of materials is negligible.  I take the additional precaution of putting a sheet of archival paper over the ink receptive surface prior to rolling.  I've been able to cut 17x25 sheets from roll paper for my Epson 3880 and this works just peachy.  No need to spend lots of dollars.

Alan

framah

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 09:53:32 am »

Of course, I do cheat a bit, if I need to I can just put them all into my 40x60 heat press.  :o
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up