Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scoring Greeting cards  (Read 1372 times)

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Scoring Greeting cards
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »

Tis the season and this year I decided to print my greeting cards on a bit beefer Epson cold press natural instead of precut/scored Moab Kayenta 7x10 sheets.  I have 6 cards printed in strips (two sets of six are printed side by side on the 24" roll) that can be scored for the fold line and then I will cut apart the  6 cards and fold.  Any suggestions on best way to score cards without going into a professional production operation?  I am going to do about 100 to 150 cards.

JeanMichel

Re: Scoring Greeting cards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »

Hi,
Easy: get a bone scorer or bone folder from an art supply store. Use it to smooth overmat openings too.
Jean-Michel

PatBeug

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:25:05 pm »

I regularly print nine 5x7 cards at a time (7x10 before folding) on 24 inch wide rolls of Epson Premium Matte. I then use a 36 inch Rototrim cutter to cut the cards a bit oversized, by 1/8- 1/4 inch on a side.  This part goes very quickly. I use the front edge of my Rototrim ( the long side opposite the rotary trimming wheel) to carefully line up and initiate the fold, creasing the paper to approximately a right angle by sliding my thumb across the paper at the point of the fold.   Next, a bone burnisher shaped like a dull butter-knife is used to finish the crease. I then do the final trimming of the card to the final size.  This is an important step: don't do the final trim until the fold has been made. If your fold is just a touch off, you can still save the card with judicious final trimming.  Once you have done a few it goes fairly quickly, but 100 cards will definately take a couple of hours with my method. There may be better ways, but I have done hundreds of cards this way with good success.
 :) :) :)
Pat

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:52 pm »

Just throwing this option out there.  We carry pre-scored cards called Moab Entradalopes in either large or small cards that also come with envelopes.

You can take a look at our site to see the details on them.  We sell at least a few hundred + a year during the holidays and makes it easier to print on them and fold quickly.

Feel free to contact us directly if you're interested in getting more details on these.

atlex.com
800-327-2822

snowrs

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:45:51 pm »

The back side of a utter knife does the job for me.  Of course, I do not make "tons" of cards.

bob snow
Pages: [1]   Go Up