Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black-hooded Sunbeam (Bolivia)  (Read 1187 times)

Glenn Bartley

• Glenn Bartley Nature Photography
Black-hooded Sunbeam (Bolivia)
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:50:33 am »

The other STUNNING hummingbird that lives in Bolivia is the endemic Black-hooded Sunbeam. I would have to say that this is probably one of those species that no photo can do justice. To see the iridescence of the back of this bird in the field is absolutely amazing!!

This guy gave me a really hard time in Bolivia. I searched and searched in the area where they were most often reported to no avail before giving up. I then got a "hot tip" about the exact site and drove back a few hundred km down a bumpy dirt road getting 3 flat tires in the process. 2 more days spent searching and I was still empty handed. I had one more location to try right at the end of my trip and FINALMENTE! I got him. What a great way to end my time in Bolivia  :D

If anyone is interested I will be releasing a full trip report on my newsletter in the next few weeks. So if you arent already signed up be sure to do so on my website - http://www.glennbartley.com/mailinglist.htm

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Flash: On
ISO: 400
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x

Lloyd Mayeda

Re: Black-hooded Sunbeam (Bolivia)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:28:50 pm »

I guess we have to believe you when you say that no photo can do justice to this stunning hummingbird but thank you for your attempt at doing so and for the story and persistence that brings this stunning image to our computer screens!

I have previously signed up for your newsletter and look forward to receiving it shortly. 

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:58 pm »

Another spectacular capture Glenn!

Tony Jay

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:58 am »

Another amazing bird and photograph.
Pages: [1]   Go Up