Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 7 doesn't open tiffs after working on them in Photoshop  (Read 9591 times)

orc73

Hi all

after exporting files as tiff and working on them in Photoshop I save them in the same folder as the other files are.
Some files are displayed in C1, but the adjustments from PS are not showed. Some files don't show up at all in the folder. Again some just show up black with a white triangle.
I was really about to buy this software, as the raw conversion ist great.
On the other hand this software is super buggy.

I hope somebody can tell me if I do something wrong. I open in Session mode always and browse through my disk and dont import.

best regards

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
Re: Capture One 7 doesn't open tiffs after working on them in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »

If adjustments from PS do not show in Capture One, regenerate previews.

Note that Capture One is not meant to be a image browser like Bridge.

Also, tiffs with layers might not show up.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:55:07 pm »

Also TIFFs saved without "compatibility mode" (optional setting in PS) nor TIFFs saved in CYMK or LAB or 1-channel BW modes (images that are saved as standard RGB images which simply have no color/saturation are fine - grayscale images are not).

There is also a maximum width/height/file-size but these are very high (can't remember off hand) and should not be a problem for most users. C1 would not be the appropriate place to browse your 400 megapixel stitched panoramic :-).

7.0.1 has a few bugs, but I think you're confusing lack of familiarity with bugs in this case. This is normal/correct behavior - C1 is not compatible with all file formats and options. Perhaps some formal C1 training could save you the headache of sorting through learning the software on your own.

orc73

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:09:38 pm »

thanks for your reply. I have to say though not being able to browse through pictures is a serious disadvantage. need one tool to browse through the images, rememberering the name and location and go to work on it on the adjustment tool, exporting it and going to another tool, open in photoshop and go again to a image browser(got it all right? haha) is not a workflow for a shooting. Aperture and Lightroom do it. Camera works fine with Bridge automatically.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:57:14 pm »

need one tool to browse through the images, rememberering the name and location and go to work on it on the adjustment tool, exporting it and going to another tool, open in photoshop and go again to a image browser(got it all right? haha) is not a workflow for a shooting. Aperture and Lightroom do it.
   orc73,

BINGO!

Yes, you got most of it as logical as possible Orc73,
Tool #1:
The tool to browse images can be the tool that you transfer/ingest your images from the source, like a CF card.... Or if you shot to a folder via tether.... browse to it and rate, tag keyword, arrange.
That tool is your DAM, which can be a catalog or browser type databse app....(there was Media pro, PhotoSupreme, FastStone, BreezeBrowser, Extensis, ACDSee, to name a few.  Once you do this ANOTHER tool should be the RAW processor to
(This is also the tool you can launch Photoshop with for edits.)

Tool #2. RAW processor:
C1, LR, ACRAw DxO, Silky, to name a few....These make your Key file to further process in an image editor.
(This also should be able to launch Photoshop)

Tool #3
Photoshop, Painter, Gimp?, Google?, Even LR can be considered an editor to an extent.

So it is very acceptable to have 3 programs running at once. or close one you finished working in for a set period of time as need be.

This is why Media Pro was going to be so great. Not just some, but all your edits in metadata would be seen in C1.
But now you have to rely on using the folder view in C1, or what I do is make subfolder.  RAW/Processed/Selected or even some would be PSD/Flat TIF/JPEG
This way it is quick to find what you need.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

orc73

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:30 am »

thanks for your reply. the most popular raw converters do all of above.
They kick the files to PS(or whatever) and files can be processed further even after PS.
No need to manually go to other programs and make sure the new file would be in the DB again.

Is this possible?

An aproach would be to process all files to tiff and then import to Aperture or LR.
Though first problem is the d800e files get 200MB Tiffs. Second I wont process them until I need to give them to customer, and then delete them, as I have all in the raw converter and can make changes anytime from scratch and safe space(a use case for raw!).

So how could I do that with C1?

orc73

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 05:05:30 pm »

I can't believe they advertise with the "catalogue" which is meant to handle all your picture libraries and find pictures by keywords and so on....and that software is not able to display tif and psd, which should be the standart for image processing.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »

PSD is a proprietary format, but it's possible support will be added in the future. Have you made this feature request via a support case?

As documented above TIF is supported, provided you are using compatibility mode, not using CYMK etc.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:54:29 pm »

The second they support PSD (which would be wise) prepare for endless whining about not reading PSDs saved without maximise compatibility enabled.....

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 06:11:04 pm »

PSD is a proprietary format,

Exactly, and even some at Adobe will confess (some force may be required ;) ) that TIFF offers everything (and more) that PSD has to offer.

Have you made this feature request via a support case?

Correct, although it might unleash the 'they are not reacting immediately to ME' type of reaction, where more seasoned users understand that these reactions are still logged to also build a priority list.

As documented above TIF is supported, provided you are using compatibility mode, not using CYMK etc.

And even TIFFs are a moving target. For example, support for larger than 2 (or 4) GB file sizes, such as some stitched images, is being designed into the specifications as we speak.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

orchidblooms

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 07:06:27 pm »

i ran into this as well....

i think the app has memory leaks that causes problems in general...

when i flattened the photoshop image then opened in cp1 it worked seems to be issiues with layers

p.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:54:43 pm »

Use a developer to develop raw files. Buy a dedicated DAM that does the best job on browsing and launching your apps for their specific file type, AND organize your images with Keywording and all the searching abilities via the DAM. This not only keeps the users happy, but ultimately the software engineers keep their focus on making the best developer with all the surrounding tools to max use that engine.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

orc73

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 05:49:36 pm »

Hey guys I'm not talking about psd, I'm talking about tiffs. And flattening files is not the solution.
Obviously it can't handle layers. I did not involve any cmyk or whatever, I just used standart settings when saving.
I also tryied the "big file" option, did not help.
Btw I went back to try 6.4.4, which works stable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up