Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting the Shooter  (Read 1033 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Shooting the Shooter
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:54:11 pm »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Tony Jay

Re: Shooting the Shooter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:19:47 am »

Good stuff!

Tony Jay

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:40:39 am »

Thanks Tony. This is my "adopted kid," so to speak as I am her former guardian. She's taught me so much about perserverance which goes to show two really important things: one, resilience has no age limits and two, never give up on a kid. Two years ago she was a student in one of my photography classes who was discovered to be living in a tent in the woods behind her grandmother's house. She arose every morning at 4:30 am to catch a series of buses for her daily 2 1/2 hour ride in (and back) bus ride to school because she knew her only chance (and it was a slim one) to go to college was to get into an accelerated academic program. In spite of or despite all this, she managed to maintain a solid high "B" GPA in the Advanced International Cambridge Exams program passing the required 7 AICE exams (and these are by no means easy exams or classes) which earned her a Bright Futures scholarship. This scholarship pays $102 of the $160 credit hour fee for all her classes until she graduates.

Despite her living conditions, malnutrition, and a host of mental stability challenges she continued to push forward. Long story short, my wife and I took her in to live with us for her senior year in high school and today, a year later she is an Art Major (photography) at Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL. She still faces daily challenges but through a lot of really good friend's assistance, a great psychologist and some super academic advisors, she is making it...you gotta love that kind of grit in a kid; she's just barely 19.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:49:25 am by chrisc »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Jaffy

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:34:39 pm »

Thanks for restoring my faith in human nature; yours and hers.
Great pic as a keeper as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up