Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've had it with Ilford  (Read 2557 times)

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
I've had it with Ilford
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:06:17 pm »

I think I've just about had it with Ilford. My paper of choice has been 17x22 Gallerie Gold Fibre Silk. First there was the product name change, which somehow meant that you couldn't buy the paper anywhere for a couple of months--not to mention that silly name change that went from five words to six. When it reappeared I could find the 17x22 only in boxes of 10 sheets. I used to buy it in boxes of 50 sheets. I needed to start printing in earnest this winter so I went looking around and I found one place that was selling boxes of 25 sheets, so I bought two. I used to pay $200 for the box of 50, now I have to pay $140 for a box of 25. That's a 40% increase for the same paper. But the last straw came when I opened the new box of 25 sheets. They no longer put the paper in a plastic bag. It's just sitting there in the box with no protection. It's a lot harder to get out and the top sheet is marred. It's as though Ilford wants me to drop them.

This coming year I'm switching to Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique. It's just as good, if not better, and it's 20% less expensive than Ilford's old price--almost half Ilford's current price. Plus the name is only four words.  ;)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: I've had it with Ilford
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »

Not sure where you are writing from or where you looked for the paper, but I'm in Toronto and your post prompted me to check the website of my habitual supplier and they are selling 50 sheet boxes of 17*22 for CAD 198 http://www.ccbc-club.com/products.asp?cat=74&man=193. I believe - hope - they keep their website current as they are quite a busy outfit.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »

Hi Mark. I'm pretty sure what CCBC have is old stock from before the name change. There is no corresponding box of 50 for the new renamed paper, but I compared the stock number for the 50-sheet 8.5x11 from CCBC (1154047) to the stock number for the same box in the new packaging (2001766). At B&H the old stock number is "No Longer Available" but the new one is available. Also, the old stock number shows the old name and packaging, while the new one shows the new name and packaging. All the old stock numbers start with "1" and the new ones start with "2". You can see the new stock numbers here.

I suspect that eventually CCBC will run out of the old stock? Or maybe it's just us Americans who are stuck with the new packaging?

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »

Content with the Canson here, ever since it was introduced some years ago. I have no angle against the Ilford product, just suggesting that the Canson fills a good niche for me.

John Caldwell

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »

I'll have to check on the stock issue.

Canson Baryta Photographique is *essentially* the same paper, from another manufacturer of course.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:56:48 pm »

It's a lot harder to get out and the top sheet is marred. It's as though Ilford wants me to drop them.

Yup... just got my first box of 50 in the "new and improved" packaging and had to toss the first two sheets.  Good grief... I sent Ilford a nasty-gram.
Ilford, do us all a favor - nuke the color images and the big "Prestige" off the box, take the ink cost savings and spend it on liner bags for your paper.

Canson here I come.  I have some on hand and I'll test it with Eric Chan's profiles for GFS.  If the results are are comparable, I'm gone.

Arrrrggghhhh.... why can't they leave a good thing alone.  I'm sure they saved a whole .000005 cents per box.  

End of rant ...  ;D

Rand
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:20:07 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 07:45:46 pm »

Rand, I have some custom profiles for the Epson 900 series if you like. Would surprise me if you don't like the Canson paper.

John-

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:51:07 pm »

Rand, I have some custom profiles for the Epson 900 series if you like. Would surprise me if you don't like the Canson paper.

John-

John,

Thanks . . .   at present my printers are limited to a 4880 and an R3000.
I've used Canson before, but because the GFS was easier to get (then) I just stuck with it.  I have a local supplier who now carries the full Canson line, so I'm in good shape.

The local Sammy's Camera had several "old boxes" of GFS last time I was there, so I'll scoop those up on Friday, too.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

John Caldwell

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »

None of my custom profiles will help you then. Good luck with the paper. I have few, if any, complaints about the Baryta Photographique.

John-

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 12:51:26 pm »

Yup... just got my first box of 50 in the "new and improved" packaging and had to toss the first two sheets.  Good grief... I sent Ilford a nasty-gram.
Ilford, do us all a favor - nuke the color images and the big "Prestige" off the box, take the ink cost savings and spend it on liner bags for your paper.

Canson here I come.  I have some on hand and I'll test it with Eric Chan's profiles for GFS.  If the results are are comparable, I'm gone.

Arrrrggghhhh.... why can't they leave a good thing alone.  I'm sure they saved a whole .000005 cents per box. 

End of rant ...  ;D

Rand

I've been doing the bulk of my printing on Ilford GFS. I got a box with the "improved" packaging back in July. Like you the first two sheets were scuffed due to the lack of a plastic liner bag, and I wrote Ilford to complain. I got an email saying they'd look into it, but that was almost 5 months ago so it's obvious that they'll continue to print "Prestige" on the box and use the money they save by not including a bag to pay for it. I've been putting off changing papers just because I'm lazy and testing papers is a bit of a hassle, but it's probably time. Aside from Canson Baryta Photographique, what about Canson Platine Fiber Rag as a IGFS replacement? Any and all comments appreciated.
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up