Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with workflow for Sigma DP2M  (Read 7110 times)

tom w

Need help with workflow for Sigma DP2M
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:30:14 pm »

I received my Sigma DP2M yesterday. I'm working on an iMac OS 10.8.2 and have current software for the camera and SPP. I have tried saving RAW X3F files to a folder on the desktop. But, I cannot figure out how SPP can see the files to work on. I have also tried starting SPP and then turning on the camera. The files appear in the working window and I can process them and save as TIFF files but the camera is on the whole time. if I shut the camera down, the files vanish from the working windows. So, I need help with the initial stages of a workflow. I generally think of myself as being of at least average or better intelligence (until to today).
Thanks

K.C.

Re: Need help with workflow for Sigma DP2M
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »

I'm running SPP under 10.7.5 and using a USB card reader. I plug in the card, open the SPP app and it finds the card/files instantly.

On the left hand side SPP should be displaying a column titled Computer. You can select any drive or folder just like normal for OSX of any version.

tom w

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:28:12 pm »

K.C That was it. I plugged the card into a card reader and VOILA.
Thanks

K.C.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:07 pm »

Sure.

Funny thing, you'd almost think it was designed to make it that easy for you.  ::)

aduke

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:32:32 pm »

Sure.

Funny thing, you'd almost think it was designed to make it that easy for you.  ::)

If you're right about that, that is about the only thing that was designed to make it easy. 

For instance, I set up three folders, one called RAW, into which I copy or use Bridge to copy, the X3f files onto the computer.
The second file is called Converted Raws, into which I save the white balanced Tiff's. It is also the Lightroom watched folder so that LR imports the Tiff's, moving them into the third folder. I then do some processing in LR on the Tiffs.

My plan for the future, when LR supports the camera, I'll simple import with move from RAW to my standard folder structure.

One of my problems with SPP is that it forgets where I last saved images, and have to tell it to copy to Converted Raws, then OK the selection of the output folder and then OK the save.

Alan

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:39:53 am »

One of my problems with SPP is that it forgets where I last saved images, and have to tell it to copy to Converted Raws, then OK the selection of the output folder and then OK the save.

Just like the early days of Photoshop when it didn't retain it's last setup. This comes as no surprise to me because Sigma is a pretty tiny company to be developing their own raw conversion app and doing all the R&D on the sensor, lenses and camera.

In a world economy where SONY is struggling financially, while making some of the best sensors in the business and selling in much larger numbers, Sigma is probably trying to just get the job done with SPP until Adobe picks up the ball.

Think about it, how many photographers do you know that use Canon's raw converter ? And they're a goliath company compared to Sigma.

aduke

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »

As I said, it is just an annoyance. I wouldn't use SPP if LR supported the camera and will not when it does. LR has many more capabilities which I find very useful.

Alan

kgelner

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:51 pm »

I received my Sigma DP2M yesterday. I'm working on an iMac OS 10.8.2 and have current software for the camera and SPP. I have tried saving RAW X3F files to a folder on the desktop. But, I cannot figure out how SPP can see the files to work on. I have also tried starting SPP and then turning on the camera. The files appear in the working window and I can process them and save as TIFF files but the camera is on the whole time. if I shut the camera down, the files vanish from the working windows. So, I need help with the initial stages of a workflow. I generally think of myself as being of at least average or better intelligence (until to today).
Thanks

Just to add to this, my workflow at the start is to copy all my images off the card, then drag them into the SPP icon (which I keep in the dock).  That opens the one you dragged in for editing, and also opens the thumbnail browser in that directory.

You can also browse from SPP into wherever you are keeping your images, you just have to go from the very top level - Users/your username/directory.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:43:12 pm »

On Mac you may want to try Iridient Developper that is now supporting the DP2m since 2.0.

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html

Cheers,
Bernard

K.C.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 03:22:35 am »

On Mac you may want to try Iridient Developper that is now supporting the DP2m since 2.0.

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html

Cheers,
Bernard

Have you tried it Bernard ?

The results are pretty horrible.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »

Have you tried it Bernard ?

The results are pretty horrible.

Just started to play with a couple of images, I liked what I saw in terms of shadows noise reduction but have not done any rigorous comparison with SPP yet.

What are the aspects you don't like?

Cheers,
Bernard

tjack

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54:04 pm »

SPP will remember we're you saved the last file to, just open the preferences folder under Sigma Photo Pro top left corner and check the default saving location.
Pages: [1]   Go Up