Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Over-Saturation Problem  (Read 6011 times)

Kit-V

Over-Saturation Problem
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:04 pm »

I am running a slideshow on my HDTV that I created in FotoMagico 4.1 through my MacBookPro (OS 10.7.5). All of my images are over-saturated when viewed on the HDTV. I am connected to the HDTV with a DVI-HDMI cable. How can I resolve this over-saturation problem?

Thank you for your indulgence with (what I am sure) is a remedial question.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Over-Saturation Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:02 pm »

By adjusting colors and contrast on your TV. TVs are typically sold with way too high contrast and saturation.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:40:49 pm »

Hi,

Some TV-s may have a preset for for computer. My parents have a TV from Phillips, and colors from PC were awful. We than changed a preset  to one saying "computer" and everything got just fine.

Another issue to keep on mind may be that HDMI can be operated in standard or enhanced mode. Standard mode is broadcast and uses only a part of the tone scale (16-232 I guess). So if computer outputs enhanced HDMI and TV is set for standard to steep contrast will result.

As a side note, I used Fotomagico, but I'm moving away from it and started using Final Cut Pro X instead. The main reason is that I am concerned about long term stability of Fotomagico file formats. I have stuff that won't play any longer. Also, if I export Fotomagico slideshows as movies the results are not very impressive. But I still use Fotomagico from time to time, just not for stuff I want to be around 'for ever'.

Best regards
Erik

By adjusting colors and contrast on your TV. TVs are typically sold with way too high contrast and saturation.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:49:48 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

francois

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:58:31 am »

Hi,

Some TV-s may have a preset for for computer. My parents have a TV from Phillips, and colors from PC were awful. We than changed a preset  to one saying "computer" and everything got just fine.

Yes… I have a Sony TV and there's a "theatre" mode that essentially desaturates colors. In this mode, colors a very similar in saturation to the ones on a computer display.
Francois

Kit-V

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:49:54 am »

Slobodan, Erik & Francois:
Thank you for the responses. I will navigate through the HDTV menu & see what options I have. I appreciate it.

Erik:
Actually, I am new to FotoMagico. I had used iMovie to create slideshows for several years, but became disenchanted with image quality. I think that was because my photography skills improved & subsequently I became for demanding. Although I am still working on my first slideshow on FotoMagico, the quality of the production tools seem to be a notch above iMovie. Admittedly though, I have been having issues in FotoMagico with retaining image quality after exporting my images out of Lightroom. But it appears that FotoMagico might have resolved that issue with version 4.1.

Thank you again for your help.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

jeremypayne

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:26:13 am »

I have calibrated and profiled my Samsung TV using the VGA connection and it worked pretty well ... I used a Spyder 3.

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »

What software did you use with your Spyder 3 to calibrate the TV?

jeremypayne

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:36:07 pm »

What software did you use with your Spyder 3 to calibrate the TV?

I calibrated the Television itself for use with my cablebox using the spyder 3 and the spyder TV package ... Which wasn't all that great ... The settings I had found on the AVS forum were just as good.  I would not recommend the incremental $69.

I used the v4 Spyder software for the Spyder 3 and a frankensteined lenovo laptop to drive it via the VGA input.

I don't use the TV as a monitor anymore ... But it was much improved over the unprofliled state when I did.

I never used it for processing either ... Only for display.

na goodman

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »

Thanks for the info. I heard the Spyder TV software wasn't that great. I'm on a Mac and have been looking for software to calibrate the TV's.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:19:26 pm »

Probably the best way to handle this inexpensively is to adjust the controls you have while viewing a decent set of reference images. You're not building an ICC profile, you're not really measuring anything I can see being that useful (hence the reason so many find the Spyder product in this respect not very good).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

PhilipCummins

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 01:24:35 am »

Thanks for the info. I heard the Spyder TV software wasn't that great. I'm on a Mac and have been looking for software to calibrate the TV's.

Most people seem to opt for CalMan or ChromaPure to be able to handle the TVs specifically, on the Macs it would be via Boot Camp/emulation however. Worthwhile checking the AVS Forum to get some ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up