Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Botanical Beach  (Read 2838 times)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Botanical Beach
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:40:26 pm »

The Juan de Fuca Pronvincial Park feels like the edge of the world. It's not all that isolated from civilization, and is definitely not the most remote place I've ever been. However, the way you get there, and where you come from, makes it feel like you are ceding control back to the powers of nature. As you drive up from Victoria, British Columbia, the road quickly narrows, and becomes known simply as "West Coast Road". It seems as though its sole purpose for existence is for transporting timber back to humanity. And then, when you near Port Renfrew, it simply turns inland. If you want to go any further north along the coast, you need to find alternate means of transportation, such as boat or plane. It feels as if this is the point where the humanity decided "OK, this is enough, we don't need to go any further." This feeling only adds to the beauty of Botanical Beach (which is located near where the road turns inland). It is the reward at the end of the journey. The beach is replete with tide pools that house the normally-hidden treasures of the ocean, as if in convenient display cases. The forest, not to be out-done, seems to have saved its most beautiful trees for the coastline. The result is one of the most stunning combinations of land and sea that I've ever visited.

Hope you enjoy!

Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Tony Jay

Re: Botanical Beach
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »

Fascinating seeing such large conifers fight on the high-tide mark.
This area does appear to have plenty of interest value.
It doesn't come up too badly when imaged either! :D

Tony Jay

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:21:51 pm »

wonderful location and image Matt.
Your Galleries are great also!  Smugmug is not linking the pics on your blog.

David

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:30:42 pm »

It is truly a magical place. I was there last May and loved that beach. I still haven't sorted out all my pix from that trip.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:19:43 am »

Thanks guys!

wonderful location and image Matt.
Your Galleries are great also!  Smugmug is not linking the pics on your blog.

David

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site and my blog, David.  I'm unfortunately aware of the smugmug issue.  I cancelled my site with them a few months ago in favor of my own site.  It's taking me some time to migrate all the links over.
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:14:22 am »

It's a great place to visit, and there's a trail leading from there for the adventurous (and prepared).  A short day trip for us lucky enough to be in Victoria.  Do be aware of the power of the waves, though; those 'emergency exit' beacons from the beaches aren't there for show!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:46:53 am »

Since a trip is in order for me out there this coming summer, this shall be one of my "definite" stops. I love the Washington/B.C. area and look forward to returning. I really like this shot!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:01 am »

Certainly is a beautiful location, you've  made a nice enough image for sure, iam just left wondering if you could have made more of the excellent foreground by getting in much closer? There is so much fine detail and texture on offer I'd have been inclined to get very close with wide angle?

Of course as always...maybe you didnt want to make that style of image...just my personal take on a lovely shot and location...congrats.

Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Dewi Sant

• Dewi Sant Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:58:04 am »

Lovely shot, you had better weather than we did by the looks. I was here in 2008 as part of a Canadian road trip but unfortunately it poured with rain for most of our stay in the area. In fact the drive down to Sooke (where we stayed for a few days at a guest house run by a UK couple who it turned out used to live opposite us in our first house!) was the worst rainstorm I'd ever driven in.

I only had a small Canon compact with me on that trip, but we stopped off at a few of the beaches on that road inc China where we walked a good way along the Juan de Fuca trail - ignoring the bear / cougar warnings of course.

http://www.dewisant-photography.net/dewi_sant_photography_canada_5.htm

D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:01:02 am by Dewi Sant »
Pages: [1]   Go Up