Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is Adobe the only non C1 app that can read IIQ?  (Read 4928 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Why is Adobe the only non C1 app that can read IIQ?
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:05:17 pm »

All we have is LR or ACRaw that reads IIQ. Why is that?  What dictates this?

When I say "read", I mean a preview, or thumbnail.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:02:46 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Why is Adobe the only non C1 app that can read IIQ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »

On the windows side, Breezebrowswer reads them fine.  It what I always use to browse a card and move files. 
It will only show a thumbnail, but that is all I need for pulling files from a card or moving them around. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:24:53 pm »

Are you referring to using a DB in TIF format?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:10:18 pm »

I am referring to browsing a series of raw IQ160/140 or 180 file in the .IIQ format.  I may have misunderstood your question.  I thought you wanted another tool to preview a thumbnail of a .IIQ file from a DB. 

You can't do any adjustments with BreezeBrowser, sorry if I confused the topic.  I use it whenever I am wanting to browse a card or folder of Phase raw files looking for a particular series of shots.  I do this since if I open the folder where all the files of that shoot are kept, Capture One will create a cache file for all the images in the folder.  It takes too long for my tastes plus I will never probably use all the files in that folder.  With LR I would have the option of just importing the various files I wanted to work on, but I mainly use Capture One on the Phase files (using sessions).

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:33:16 pm »

No, you are on target.  Will BB do a 1:1 view of it?  I remmeber trying BB some time ago. I am using ACDsee for now.

I don't remeber if I tried IIQ files.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:01:38 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:26:03 pm »

Phil,  thats the only snag, no 1:1 view.  I have never found anything except LR and Capture One that will do that.  Never thought of ACDSee.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »

ACDSee doesn't do it either, unless you use a TIF raw.  I forgot the reason I use IIQ, but I think IIQ records faster when shooting.

IDImager is another DAM I have and I just checked, it does manage to get a preview.

So does the application's ability to see a raw preview or in full size rely on the decoding from the application, or is it something the Camera producer needs to provide or make available?
Meaning...

Is there some relation between Breeze Browser and Capture One?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:18 am »

Phil, as i recall, on the older P45+ files, which had the .tif file extension, there was an imbedded jpg that most tools could read.   

About a year ago when I purchased my 160 and started shooting the .IIQ format, I realized that Breezebrowser would not see the files as image files.  I asked the author if the software could be modified to see the Phase files, and they fixed this in a upgrade.  I am assuming that there is an imbedded jpg in the .IIQ format also, that Breezebrowser can see. 

I was looking back on my notes, I believe that windows can also display a thumbnail for the .IIQ, example browsing in windows explorer.  I need to double check that however.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:32:29 am »

That is amazing info Paul. If I can get ACDSee to see this file, I can dump my other DAMs. IDImager PhotoSupreme, PhotoMechainc IMatch, FastStone, BreezeBrowser.

Btw, I tried Breeze, and it is visually limiting. I like using Dual screen and changing the color of the interface and selecting what info I like to see below the thumbnail, even the size of the boarder.
 I like to have more control of my interface, but for BB enabling IIQ is great, and I see how it can be just fine and valuable for that alone. 
I wonder if you've looked at ACDSee? Even the Manager (rather than Pro) is great.

Side note: How do you like the 160 vs the P45+ ? (Besides file size perhaps.....It would likely depend on what you shoot).

IDImager v5 was also able to see IIQ in 1:1 if Im not mistaken. I'll test it out and see. But it had other quirks and issues. sometimes not reading large files or certain TIF.  So far I find ACDSee to be top notch. I also rememebr using PhotoMechanic sometime ago and although I remeber it was kinda geared for News journalists, but solid.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:06 am »

RAW Developer also supports IIQ files But it is, as its name suggests, a RAW converter not an editing suite...(and it is Mac only AFAIK)
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:27 pm »

Yup Mac only. Photivo is interesting, but a big learn curve. It does IIQ.

If a open source like Photivo is able to dev Raw. Is guessing that it is pretty much all up to the developing team to come up with the "processing engine"?
I remember reading up on DRaw at one time which is what all raw failes "work" on..?I forget.  But If others don't need any licensing or some speciallty parameters to dev raw, then I don't see why more software co are not supporting it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up