Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 7 uninstall error.  (Read 2497 times)

FredBGG

Capture One 7 uninstall error.
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:56:17 pm »

I went and un installed CO7 to install the new version, but got this error:

So CO7 left some slop on my drive.

I had not run CO7 in the window session so I don't understand why anything could not be removed.
What is worse it gave no list of what files could not be removed..... that is rather shabby for non beta software.

Where can I get the list of files to removed.

I found some files (not run-time stuff of course).

Need to have a clean uninstall in order to make a clean install of 7.0.1
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:45:48 pm by FredBGG »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One 7 uninstall error.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:28:28 am »

I went and un installed CO7 to install the new version, but got this error:

So CO7 left some slop on my drive.

Hi Fred,

Not slob, but minor things like Catalogs ...

I also uninstalled CO7 before installing 7.01, and I was content that the catalog I was working with was still there, and at the image I was working with. My preferences were also in place.

This is common behavior for uninstallers, they only remove the files and references that were created by the installer. Anything changed afterwards will not have registered as an installation that can be rolled back.

I had not run CO7 in the window session so I don't understand why anything could not be removed.

I don't understand. You installed CO7 but didn't run it? What do you mean with window session?

What is worse it gave no list of what files could not be removed..... that is rather shabby for non beta software.

That's an installer feature, to allow the user to select the files/references that will be removed, nothing to do with the application.

Where can I get the list of files to removed.

I found some files (not run-time stuff of course).

Need to have a clean uninstall in order to make a clean install of 7.0.1

Need? Why, or do you mean want?

If there is a need, then you require a disk mirroring utility, and restore an earlier state of your harddisk.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:01:41 am »

I am assuming this is a windows/microsoft environment.   

I personally never uninstall the older release with Capture One under windows as long as the release is under the same main release number i.e 7.x.  I do if I am working on a mac.  I have found the mac side seems to be a bit more sensitive to the older release being on there.  On the windows side this has always worked for me. 

Overnight I went ahead and upgraded to 7.1, but just installed the new release.  So far no problems. 

This is under win7 64 bit. 

There are some instructions on the main phase website to do a total uninstall of the windows version.  I did have to do this once with Capture 6 where I was getting a strange issue on tifs written in 16 bit.  It's a bit more complicated on the windows side to get the total uninstall.  I have found the best solution is to set a restore point in system restore before you install.  Thus if you do get some type of corruption, you can always just go back to the previous restore point.

As Bart pointed out, the uninstaller won't' pull off all the files associated with Capture 7 as you have a catalog option now, along with a output folder.  If you let Capture 7 delete everything, you might lose any of the files that were in your output folder, not a good thing. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

FredBGG

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

The files have nothing to do with catalogs.
Only had one catalog and it was removed.

I am going through the machine removing files. There are .dll files.

Some of the files were easier to find using properties details or copyright search, but many of the Phase One files don't have details or copyright
appended to them.

Can someone at Phase one give me a list of destination folders for the install so as to save me some time.

sgilbert

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:21:02 am »

"Can someone at Phase one give me a list of destination folders for the install so as to save me some time."

If you want to contact someone at Phase One, perhaps there is a better way of doing so.  Whining here might give the impression that you're just bashing them.

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:16:48 am »

I posed the same question on the phase One PO7 forum.

No word yet.

A "Phase One Certified Professional" said it was a feature and that the files were setting files.
However they were not. There were DLL files and SYS files.

Industry standard applications do offer to keep or remove settings and preferences.
You get the option to keep or remove them.

Anyway I cleared them out.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 06:26:20 am »

I posed the same question on the phase One PO7 forum.

No word yet.

A "Phase One Certified Professional" said it was a feature and that the files were setting files.
However they were not. There were DLL files and SYS files.

Industry standard applications do offer to keep or remove settings and preferences.
You get the option to keep or remove them.

Anyway I cleared them out.

Fred,

Our forum is designed as a user to user forum.

If you have a support issue you can raise a case here..

http://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain.aspx

...with contact normally well within 24 hours.

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up