Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: white slider in Basic Developing  (Read 2759 times)

ahotflash

white slider in Basic Developing
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:27:02 pm »

hello all, I installed an upgrade of Lightroom 4.2 (from Lightroom 2) on both a Macbook and imac 24": the white slider above the blacks is visible on my MacBook but not on the 24" Mac. I did click about Lightroom 4 (on the 24" Mac) and it did say it was Lightroom 4.2.
I use this slider for highlight alerts by pressing alt/option key.
Anyone ever have this problem of Not having a White slider above the Darks slider? Solutions?
thanks.
Doug Y
filmfixation

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: white slider in Basic Developing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:29:58 pm »

Check to see what Process version you are using for that specific image. Lightroom 4.x defaults to Process 2010 for any photo that has an xmp file. So older images are still using 2010, while any new images default to 2012.

If it's really just one slider missing, and everything else is the same, I don't have any idea what's wrong.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

ahotflash

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:51:25 pm »

thanks k bennett, those files were "automatically" imported from LR2 onto the Mac 24" when upgrading LR2>LR4.0; the files imported to the Macbook Pro were imported from my CF card After installing LR4.2.
I just imported new files from my CF card and the white slider is there above (on Mac 24" on LR 4.2) the blacks slider and tested, sort of; and it seems to work.  :)>Doug Y
filmfixation

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »

Glad to hear it. I still have this issue when working on older files in LR 4.2, so it was the first thing I thought to check.

Note that the new Process 2012 sliders work somewhat differently from the old ones. It took me a few hours to get comfortable with them, but I find they provide much better fine control. Also, the Clarity slider seems to be about twice as powerful....
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:37:52 pm »

Doug if you are ever confused as to exactly what Process version is current just go to the Camera Calibration subpanel and check.
This subpanel is part of the right panel in the Develop module and is near the bottom.

As alluded to importing images into recent versions of Lightroom that were previously edited in older versions will make the Develop module default back to the older appropriate Process version.
Each Process version has significant differences to either the tonal controls and/or noise reduction algorithms.
Lightroom has three Process versions: 2003, 2010, and 2012.
If one needs to Lightroom 4.x can use any of them.
The limitation here is that one cannot simultaneously use the tonal controls of Process 2003 and the noise reduction capabilities of Process 2010.

In practical terms I tend to remaster my hero images (not necessarily my rank-and-file images unless my intent is experimental) with the latest Process version which usually allows a much better rendition than with the previous Process version.

Tony Jay

ahotflash

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:36:59 pm »

thanks guys :) I have been using Aperture2 and have had this (LR2) for as long (as Aperture) but have not used it obviously. Am in the "ah-ha" phase ??? >Doug
ps. am also using Raw Converter and like the (over/saturation) slider on it.
filmfixation

Glenn NK

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »

Note that the new Process 2012 sliders work somewhat differently from the old ones. It took me a few hours to get comfortable with them, but I find they provide much better fine control. Also, the Clarity slider seems to be about twice as powerful....

I have Martin Evening's LR4 book, and he actually states this about the Clarity slider.

I found the Shadows slider to be a major improvement.   I'm redeveloping images from previous years, and what a difference - far more detail in deep shadows that I ever achieved with previous versions.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources
Pages: [1]   Go Up