Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dng flat field correction - white balance?  (Read 7595 times)

phoTOMgraphy

• thomas|ebruster|photography
dng flat field correction - white balance?
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:21:26 am »

hi,
does anyone here use the this plugin with lr4?
i was very excited that lr is now able to be my main tool, but i miss the ability to adjust the white balance based on the neutral shot.

in phocus where i usually did the correction, the correction at first is applied to the neutral lcc shot - it turns into an evened magenta picture.
then those corrections can be applied to the desired image. BUT ALSO the corrected magenta lcc shot can be used to do a white balance on it and then turns into a grey card to set white balance for the real image - very very useful! only one additional step in postproduction ;)

i hoped that the flat field plugin could do this automatically, even whitout setting the white balance manually (should be no problem).

but i can't even get a grey reference, because the correction file will not be corrected itself.  >:(
it isn't even possible to apply the correction file to itself by a duplicate - lr doesn't detect a "real world image" and therefore does nothing ...

dear eric chan - please give us the option to apply auto white balance.
or if i miss the actual functionality, please explain to me how to use it correctly.

i wrote this some weeks ago in another thread about the ff-plugin, but unfortunately didn't get response...  :(
thomas

thomasebruster.com
Arca Rm3di | SK43 | RS28 | CFV-50[

RFPhotography

Re: dng flat field correction - white balance?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:39:10 am »

Are you trying, or wanting, to use the calibration image to set white balance? 

I don't know how Phocus works but in LR there definitely is a way to do a click WB.  In the Basic panel of the Develop module there is an eyedropper.  Click the eyedropper to activate it, move it into the image and click anywhere to set the WB. 

If you're looking to use a reference image as the source for the WB correction, then is the calibration image for the flat field correction really the one to be used?  You can take a shot of a standard grey card in your lighting setup and use that as the WB source then simply synch the WB to all the other images in the set.  Or you could use something like a CC 24 patch colour checker card which gives you neutral as well as warm and cool toned reference points.

I think LR can do what you want it to, but the workflow may be a bit different from what you're used to.

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:54 am »

yes i want to use the lcc shot as a reference for white balance.
i think i know lightroom very well so far, thank you. it's already my main tool for post production.

i don't want to take another shot - 3 for a single image - the scene / the scene with color checker or grey card / and the lcc ... i have to take some pictures for ettr reasons anyway (i barely get the right exposure at the first time  ;) )
so for simplify reasons i'd like to skip at least the white balance shot.

actually the lcc shot is made through a white plastic card - it is the perfect grey card for every particular scene. if it is neutral and not magenta ...

the flat field plugin does solve the unevenness of the "real image" but the picture still has a strong magenta touch (although now flat).

it should be a littleness to make the plugin do this automatically - apply the correction also to the lcc shot and then auto white balance it.  ::)

how is the workflow in capture one?
thomasebruster.com

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »

Can't you just use the eyedropper to WB the reference shot, and then sync the resulting WB setting to all your other images?  It's not automatic, but pretty close.

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:20:52 pm »

no, unfortunately it isn't that simple - the reference shot isn't even in color. the flat field plugin makes it even - but only for correcting the real image. the correction will never show up on the reference shot.

attached are at first the original lcc shot and than the corrected lcc shot from phocus. it's simple to white balance that one, if this would work in lr i would be satisfied, although auto would be better ;)
thomasebruster.com

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »

the real image looks like this:

first the uncorrected one and second the corrected one from flat field plugin.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:36:49 pm by phoTOMgraphy »
thomasebruster.com

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:30:04 pm »

at last with white balance settings copied from phocus:

thomasebruster.com

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:44:16 pm »

ok the size is too small to see the difference corrected to uncorrected - one more try:

1. original
2. flat field corrected
3. flat field corrected with white balance set
thomasebruster.com

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:46:19 pm »

forgot one:

4. original only with correct white balance without flat field correction

sorry for filling the thread on my own ;-)
thomasebruster.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up