Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kauai locations...  (Read 12942 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Kauai locations...
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 05:57:09 pm »

Aloha...

Just a followup report for our trip...we did the cruise up the west coast, drove up Waimea Canyon, drove all the way up the west coast and all the way around the east cost and along to the north till just about the end. My wife & daughter did a doors off chopper trip (seems I was above the weight limit for the little helicopter :~(

Got some nice shots and snaps...I've uploaded some to my web site here: Kauai Gallery.

My fave was this shot of Spouting Horn...

I will say we saw a lot of rainbows because, well, there was a lot of rain! Typical in Dec I've learned–but the weather there beat the heck out of the whether back here in Chicago...We stayed at a house in Poipu which had nice weather each day but a frustrating habit of loosing a lot of clouds just at sunset. We went on the Kauai Photo Tours day long solo trip and had a lot of fun with out guide Matt.

The Na'Pali Coast was beautiful...but generally shrouded with clouds. The cruise up was interesting and we saw whales, dolphins and a couple of turtles...got kinda wet. The cruise back was really, really wet! Here's a 6 shot stitch...

I even did some underwater shots at Poipu beach (with a cheap camera condom–which didn't leak!!!)

I got a real kick out of the Holiday decorations like this surfer Santa...

The weirdest thing was the camouflaged cell phone towers all over the island...I mean, did they really think they just blended in? The looked like really bad Christmas trees...

This was the last sunset from the house...a bit of HDR blending work.

All in all, a great trip...since the trip was a vacation present for the family, I didn't take the big Phase One/IQ 180. I took a Rebel 3Ti and three lenses and a small tripod. My daughter also had her Rebel and we swapped out lenses. She had her own tripod. She got some great shots too.

But I would definitely love to go back–particularly with better weather. I would also think Kauai would make a great location for a PODAS event...I'll mention it to Kevin.

So, Mahalo for all the info and suggestions!

Hau‘oli Makahiki Hou
(Happy New Year)

Aloha ‘oe

Tony Jay

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 06:02:00 pm »

...The weirdest thing was the camouflaged cell phone towers all over the island...I mean, did they really think they just blended in? The looked like really bad Christmas trees...

Nice shots, I like your top pick too, the sunbeams are excellent as well.

As for the cellphone towers - they do the same in South Africa - biggest palm trees you have ever seen!

Tony Jay

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:00 pm »

I just got the chance to take a look at your Kaua'i Gallery...and was tickled to see your "first sunset". I wonder if you noticed at the time of capture that Spouting Horn was performing for you! Looks like you had a great first visit and highly concur on the wealth held there for a PODA location. The almost rainforest interior waterfalls, late light beauty, almost Japanese cloud banks in the mountains...it holds much hidden beauty....in low light your eyes without realizing even begin to start seeing blue/gold, magenta/orange sweeping in...just a magical location at times...if we could just figure out how to have the Northern latitude's long hours of midnight sun closer to the equator we'd have died and gone to heaven....

...anyway, glad to see you had a great trip :-)
A common woman~

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »

I just got the chance to take a look at your Kaua'i Gallery...and was tickled to see your "first sunset". I wonder if you noticed at the time of capture that Spouting Horn was performing for you!

Yep...I even tried shooting it from there but I only had a 70-200mm lens. So I waited a few days and then shot Spouting Horn from the place where you aren't supposed to go (down below the overlook).

Yes, it was a great trip but it wasn't really a "photo trip", just a vacation for the family. So, I would love to go back with the big camera (P1 645 & IQ 180) and have the time to go further into the interior and more time on the North shore. But winter weather isn't always the best. The winds were pretty strong and while it was usually clear on the South and West shore, the East and North shores were often socked in with clouds.

But now that I've been there, I think I've caught Kauai fever (although I don't love the travel time :~(

dmerger

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 05:46:22 pm »

I apologize if this post is too far off topic, but I hope some people find it interesting.  Earlier in this thread and in Jeff’s Kauai Gallery, he has photos with sun rays streaking from behind clouds.  Those rays (crepuscular rays) fan out, spreading away at different angles… but that’s an illusion! The rays are parallel.  http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/11/02/crepuscular-rays-are-parallel/#.UOn7U3fheQJ   8)
Dean Erger

chez

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 07:53:27 pm »

I've been to Kauai 3 times and I find September to e the best month for both photography and weather. I always head to the North. What a magical place. Ke'e beach at sunset with the razorback Napali coast as a back drop is amazing. There are so many hidden waterfalls and secret beaches...my camera is on overload.

Hanalei is such a wonderful place to wind up after a day of shooting. I'd take the north over the south for both photography and just culture any day. People who stay in the south and venture only for a day to the north have no idea what they are missing.

Yep...I even tried shooting it from there but I only had a 70-200mm lens. So I waited a few days and then shot Spouting Horn from the place where you aren't supposed to go (down below the overlook).

Yes, it was a great trip but it wasn't really a "photo trip", just a vacation for the family. So, I would love to go back with the big camera (P1 645 & IQ 180) and have the time to go further into the interior and more time on the North shore. But winter weather isn't always the best. The winds were pretty strong and while it was usually clear on the South and West shore, the East and North shores were often socked in with clouds.

But now that I've been there, I think I've caught Kauai fever (although I don't love the travel time :~(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up