Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kauai locations...  (Read 12941 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Kauai locations...
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:34:46 am »

Ok, since my family punted on going down to New Zealand...we rented a nice house in Poipu, Kauai...

So, any thoughts on where to shoot there (or near there)?

framah

Re: Kauai locations...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:43:58 pm »

Hey, Jeff...

How would you like a set of Topo maps of the island?? Eons ago, I had planned to go out there and hike around the island  and shoot my camera off but I ended up going out to Toroweep Point area of the GC instead and so I still have those maps and will never get out there so... there you go.

Email me if you want so I can get your mailing address.
Ralph Fahringer
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

hubell

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:09 pm »

Ok, since my family punted on going down to New Zealand...we rented a nice house in Poipu, Kauai...

I have no sympathy for you! One area that I highly recommend is Waimea Canyon. It is an incredinbly lush and mountainous rain forest. It may have the highest average annual rainfall on earth. I took a helicopter over it, which was expensive, but one of the most amazing visual experiences of my life. I believe you can drive to certain vantage points. I would guess the hiking into the canyon is very tough. Christopher Burkett has a beautiful image from Waimea Canyon. He used  his 8x10, so my guess is that he did not hike into it. The Napali coast is also exceptional, but the best access is from the air. Hanalei Bay is also worth checking out.

nma

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:25:41 pm »

Hello Jeff,

Quite a coincidence; we rent acondo there Jan/Feb.  Maybe I  can show you the spots I have fund near/in Poipu?
There are many. The cliffs along the golf course overlook what I call Shipwreck Beach (beyond the Hyatt). It is tame and wild at the same time. The abandoned sugar mill has a romantic feel that I have tried to capture for several years. I have other favorites too.

3#msg578163 date=1354178086]

[/quote]

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:51:02 pm »

Jeff,

Have a great time while there. My wife and I love Kauai (we've been 6 times), but I have to say, I've never really found my photographic vibe on the island :(

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Steve Lefkovits

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:56:07 am »

Jeff, on the north side of the island there are some spectacular (and dangerous) beaches and cliffs.  The north side of Hanalei Bay has an accessible cliff you can park and walk out on.  The promontory puts you in the middle of waves crashing in from two sides. It's pretty fantastic for abstract wave images. The only caveat is that the warning signs are real, and you should stay 8-10 feet above the tide line as rogue waves come in more frequently than you'd expect. Great shooting and always different.

Secret Beach, the nearby lava pools and the cliffs around there are also terrific, and come with a similar dire warning.  Don't get too close to the water as the waves are unpredictable.  But that's what makes the potential so terrific.

And the first two miles of the Kalalau Trail are steep hiking that end in an awesome sea cave.  And even near the parking area there's a very large cave with a pool of turquoise water that can be a great spot.

All are an hour's drive from Poipu, but well worth making a day trip to see them all and going home tired.

Schewe

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:31:11 am »

Thanks guys...

We're planning of doing a variety of trips... Waimea is a given...we'll prolly take a whale watch/snorkel trip up the west side and we plan on hitting the North side too...we'll go to the botanical gardens (a couple just down the road from the house). We're looking to take a chopper ride (at least my daughter and I–my wife, maybe not) and thinking of taking an official "photo tour". I'm not dragging the big camera (the Phase One 645 and IQ 180 back) but got a new Canon T4i and three lenses (10-22, 24-105 & 70-200) to take with...18MP is enough for the book if I crop in-camera. Yes, taking a tripod and release.

I like sunsets (with the right foreground), scenic vistas (with nice light) and weird things (any light)...

I'm NOT planning on doing any real work when there...(a major change for me).

dreed

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:26:57 am »

Your mission, should you choose to accept it or not, is to sit on the beach one evening bereft of any camera equipment and enjoy the sunset without thinking about how to shoot it.

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:31:00 am »

...is to sit on the beach one evening bereft of any camera equipment and enjoy the sunset without thinking about how to shoot it.

Ah hell, I'll be taking a tripod and I'll shoot the sunsets even while sipping a nice Cab. But that's not really "work", that's "fun"...nNOT shooting it would be a lot of work :~)

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:13:40 pm »

Thanks guys...

We're planning of doing a variety of trips... Waimea is a given...we'll prolly take a whale watch/snorkel trip up the west side and we plan on hitting the North side too...we'll go to the botanical gardens (a couple just down the road from the house). We're looking to take a chopper ride (at least my daughter and I–my wife, maybe not) and thinking of taking an official "photo tour". I'm not dragging the big camera (the Phase One 645 and IQ 180 back) but got a new Canon T4i and three lenses (10-22, 24-105 & 70-200) to take with...18MP is enough for the book if I crop in-camera. Yes, taking a tripod and release.

I like sunsets (with the right foreground), scenic vistas (with nice light) and weird things (any light)...

I did the helicopter and got one with no doors so you can shoot clear of windows and it only holds 4 people plus pilot so clear views on the front passenger side.

Charlene Dabin
Jack Helicopters
jharter@aloha.net
888-245-2001 toll free
808-245-3774 office
808-245-4661 fax

daws

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »

There are great photo ops east of Poipu along the Mahaulepu hiking trail, once you get past the Grand Hyatt golf course. The trail continues northeast to Haula beach. The Mahaulepu area is an awesome part of Kauai, both visually and historically.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:01 am »

Jeff, Poipu is a great choice for your base, much drier than the north end.
You've got it all well planned,  I would just add the Polihale beach in the State park on the westernmost tip of the island. Not far from Waimea canyon, with a nice view of Napali cliffs, and very scenic at sunset.  Looking straight west from Polihale, on a clear day, you can almost see New Zealand.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:56:16 am by LesPalenik »

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:39:51 pm »

The Napali coast but be prepared for hiking in humid conditions

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »

Hi Jeff... We should all suffer your fate. Married off both our sons, one on the Big Island and the other on Kaua'i. Of course you will rent a car, (or two) as we found competing desires for extended time in various areas.

The Nah Pali Coast is SPECTACULAR and can be accessed in a variety of ways. Our favorite was by zodiak (from Kokee) as we were able to not only see the grandeur from afar but up close and personal in the caves. Waimea will ideally be given a good chunk of time...the outlooks (you can drive to well above 4000 feet.)provide amazing views of the nature of the island. The weather of the day will determine just how much. Someone where you are staying will point you to Spouting Horn in your backyard. Second Polihale, extraordinary sunsets, the wildest of the beaches and as our Japanese companion explained very dangerous for the complacent (rogue waves)...In his company we hiked Barking Sands early am's and pm's. The shore road in Hanalei (South Pacific fame) will or did provide access to protected beaches (offshore reef providing gentle waters). We had the youngest's wedding on Anini at sunset.

If you pick up a Birnbaum's or Baedeker you can peruse over breakfast and decide in segments which way you wish to spend the day. Easy drive around and across the island so no real need to make major plans until...The native museums are everywhere, and genuine friendliness reaps the rewards of people more than willing to share the special and not to be missed. Kaua'i Museum especially is a great source for heritage starting points.

I still remember looking up at a fern and moss covered cliff on one trip thinking I was seeing bright spots of light from somewhere, then discovering it covered in orchids. You'll not go wrong any way you turn (though we did avoid Poipu as the nightlife, clubs and hotels are not the part of the Garden Island experience we were enjoying.) But you can have it all, and in easy reach...your smile and teddy bear charm will go a long way... ;-)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:23:04 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 01:41:51 am »

For all the non-photographic stuff, make sure to grab a copy of Kauai Revealed (if you haven't already). I also have a ton of reviews of Kauai business up on Yelp, particularly around the Po'ipu area since that's where we stay when we go.

Have a great time!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

James Orr

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »

Too bad you're not going to Oahu.  I have family in Kailua and know the island well.  I found this video of Kauai a few months ago and thought it was fantastic.  I have another link with some great Kauai work that includes locations.  I'll have to find it later.

orchidblooms

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 01:55:51 am »

i  was in hawaii last summer for 5 weeks - on the big island...  had planned to go to kauai and maui - never made the trips found plenty to do where i was - betting you will as well...  note of caution - i was shooting  in the black lava at sea level - waves coming in tide was rising - things were getting wetter...  flooop... just like that...   i went down fast - somehow kept tripod / camera in the air and dry - the lava is more slippery than ice when it is wet...   

enjoy your trip...

Steve Lefkovits

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 11:29:50 am »

One more thought for you and everyone that goes to Kauai in the wintertime.  Try very hard to plan your whale watching for a day when there is a high pressure front and the seas will be calm.  The water can be extremely rough (it is on most days.) The tour operators tend not to tell you about the wave conditions, you have to ask and do your own research to make sure it's a day that you can comfortably sit or stand, let alone shoot.  I've experienced both kinds of days there and won't ever again make the mistake of not carefully checking the marine report a day in advance and asking experienced boaters what it will mean in terms of enjoyability.

ArnieZ

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »

Jeff, you may want to look at Walter Iooss's work from Kauai, stunning.

leeonmaui

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 04:12:02 pm »

Aloha,

wet, wet, wet, that's Kauai in the winter.
Kauai being older is arguably the most beautiful of the Hawaiian islands, its beaches are better, its reef system is more developed and the mountains are more lush and eroded.

you are staying in the ugly part of the islands, ostensibly sunnier.
the best guide book is; Kauai revealed.

Get in your car, head north, once you get closer to the north shore the true beauty of the island is more apparent.
One of my favorite locations is gotten to by taking the shoreline foot path that leaves northward/west from Ke'e beach, not the Kalaulau trail which also leaves from Ke'e beach.
about a one minute walk along this trail along the shore will lead you to a very rich shooting location, the surf conditions can be really fun to shoot, and sunsets can be just awesome.
The kalaulau trail is a great trail but it ain't for the faint of heart...
the first beach on the kalaualau trail is nice, and up in the valley is a really nice waterfall, the hike up in the valley is not that fun, the whole evolution from Ke'e beach to Hanakapiai beach and stream/falls is most likely a good half a day leave your condo early, like 5 AM at the latest, parking at Ke'e can be challenging. park and hit the trail to try and be the first person on the beach :-)

Princeville's Hideaway beach can be amazing, but wind and weather can screw it up pretty fast leaving Hanalei bay heading north there are lots of locations, don't be afraid to park and get out along the road, lots of little beaches tucked away...

A doors off helicopter tour can be done which is just amazing.

anywhere past Princeville on the north shore is just wonderful, great beaches and mountains.
Kauai is really easy and fun to explore, its really got an open heart, and will reveal its beauty to anyone with not much effort.
Get the book, it will tell you everything you need to know, I think there is even an app...

wet wet wet, the second wettest spot in the world is on Kauai!
make sure to take a CPF really is needed, grads can also come in handy.

great restaurant; Bara-cuda, tapas style local grown and rasied/caught food in an elegant/informal setting.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up