Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase one P40+ on the V system  (Read 2130 times)

David Jilek

Phase one P40+ on the V system
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:12:04 am »

I'm looking to upgrade to a Phase P40 back for my current V system. I would be shooting both product and models with this system. Currently using a 555eld and a 501cm. I'm shooting to a H20 and H10 back.  Will I have any issues going to this new set up. Models I usually shoot with window light and I'm down to a 1/30 of a second on the shutter. I had a rep come out last week but I didn't really like the focusing system on the H body I'd rather stick with the V system if I can.
Thank you
David

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
Re: Phase one P40+ on the V system
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:49:54 am »

I upgraded from the P25 to the IQ160 recently.
I stayed with the 503cw, because of all the other bodies, only the Hy6 would have been an option. It doesn't take my Phase back, and won't accept my Zeiss lenses either, so there wasn't really a choice.

If  you are used to a V body, even a higher resolution back should be fine too.
1/30: we're talking  shooting on a tripod, don't we? 1/30 or even 1/60 was rarely satisfying handheld for me (even with mirror-up) with any back.

tom-

David Jilek

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:42:36 am »

T0m I would love to go with the 60 but the file size is to big for the amount of work we shoot. I would crash the servers in a week! Right now I shoot for a large catalog Co and I will shoot 24k to 30k images a month and all files are kept on the server. The V system is such a work horse! and I have all the glass and don't want to change systems. DO you experience more blur from mirror shake/slap with the higher res back.
Thanks
David

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:36 am »

The back size really should not have much a effect on blur from mirror slap. At least I never ran into it with all my backs. The P40 is a great back as I owned it, IQ140 and IQ 160 so I love that sensor. I would think though if you could swing it to try and either get the Credo 40 or IQ 140 would certainly be nicer to have the bigger LCD and all there functionalities. Now if you are shooting tethered all the time than the P40 is just fine since your working off a monitor anyway. Also both backs come in V mount so no issues there and if you are shooting a lot at 1/30 of a second you may want to think about a monopod which still gives you the mobility but also let's you float into the camera shake zone a little better. BTW I know on the IQ backs you can shoot in S mode which is a raw file compression mode to save on storage space. Not sure on the Credo though . But the files from that sensor are just gorgeous so your on the right track and they are great with skin tones as both the Credo and Phase backs with the Dalsa sensor are very neutral in color. Good luck

Work with a good dealer here as they can help you get going faster and also you want to look at a finder mask for your back sensor size. They should have them for you. Given the V system it should handle the 6 micron 40 mpx backs very well.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:06:56 am by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:54:31 am »

I don't think there's more blur/mirror slap blur with the a higher res. back than a 22MP back.
But in my case I'm a 95% tripod studio guy.
I think the best solution is to try out the P40+ and see if it works for you.

Now for me, i think that my 60MP images look sharper than those from the P25. reasons can be:
- experience: the longer I work with these cameras, the better my focusing becomes
- tolerances: out of a batch of backs, maybe there's one who's better calibrated/works better with my body than another
- the new screen, focus mask of the IQ backs  which really help me
Probably a mix of these 3 things.

Yeah, size is really a problem, we are 100 people here working at my place, the photographer (me) takes up to 85% of the server space ::) I was used to export 100% Tiffs all the time, now I find myself exporting 50-75% size of the original 60MP.

Tom

David Jilek

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »

I'm lucky enough to have had a rep come out from calumet. However he only brought out the IQ system one on the Phase camera and one on a hasselblad H body. Image quality is outstanding. I liked the IQ140 color a little better out of the box. I'm not sure why there was such a difference in color on the same scene.
  I shoot a lot of models and  then a lot of off figure. Models are handheld when possible.
I talked my our IT department today and the file size may be a issue not only for our servers but for oving files from place to place within the Co. If I drop down to the P30 I think I can make everyone happy. Thanks for all the help guys
David

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »

David I'm not sure you can use S mode on the P30 plus and damn I had one too but can't remember. Somewhere on the Phase site they should have this data on S mode for the IQ 140 which is the same for the P40. Now having had both of these I would and do prefer the Dalsa P40 over the Kodak based P30 plus you will have LESS moire issues with the Dalsa 6 micron sensor. I would actually ask to try that P30 plus first before committing. My bet like me the P40 you will like better with regards to color. The Kodak is a little more crunchy my words than the Dalsa. I would do a side by side and if he can't provide that than look for a better dealer like Digital transisitions and/ or Capture Integration. Both dealers I know very well.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt
Pages: [1]   Go Up