Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Invisible Mannequin  (Read 6017 times)

flynnyfalcon

Invisible Mannequin
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:57:34 am »

Hi all,

Do any of you clever photographers/digital retouchers know how to do the invisible mannequin effect on a see-through lace bra?

The closest example I could find is here:

http://www.productphotography.com.au/-/galleries/features/clothing_photography/invisible-ghost-mannequin-clothing/-/medias/5331fa70-105d-11e2-9586-e1a953e9fe4a

http://www.productphotography.com.au/-/galleries/features/clothing_photography/invisible-ghost-mannequin-clothing/-/medias/971febe4-104d-11e2-ac56-00259030440e-clothing-photograph-invisible-mannequin-style

I'm looking to do this with a lace bra that has no padding etc in the cup so the shape of the bust would need to be created, front and back view...

I'm familiar with shooting garments on invisible/ ghost mannequins but don't know how this is done.

Multiple frames, photoshop, wire model, 5 kilo of fishing wire?????

Help please
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:00:13 am by flynnyfalcon »

walter.sk

Re: Invisible Mannequin
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:39:28 am »

While I'm not a fashion or catalog shooter, so I don't know the tricks, the way I would go about it would be to use a mannequin, clear or otherwise, against a solid background.  It would be quick work using something like Topaz ReMask to knock out the bra, including the part of the mannequin seen through the lace.

flynnyfalcon

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »

While I'm not a fashion or catalog shooter, so I don't know the tricks, the way I would go about it would be to use a mannequin, clear or otherwise, against a solid background.  It would be quick work using something like Topaz ReMask to knock out the bra, including the part of the mannequin seen through the lace.

This was my original thought, but after nutting it out, it's just not possible.  No mannequin, no matter how clear it is will allow such seamless viewing of the rear of the garment.  Too much distortion through the glass (or alike) and too many reflections.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:44:56 am »

Unfortunately you will have to shoot 2 images and combine to get the inside: http://72.32.9.25/~bernardmk/GALLERIES/Retouching/7/

flynnyfalcon

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 06:48:09 am »

I know multiple images will be required, but it's more the technique in acquiring it which has me perplexed.

framah

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »

How about spraying it with starch and then let it dry on a mannequin to create the shape you need.

Then you can hang it from the starched straps and you would only have to PS out the spot where it is hanging.

You might have to experiment to find out how much starch is needed.

(...just my addled brain throwing stuff out!)
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »

Brilliant Framah!
we used to make ghosts at halloween by starching opened up  large gauze pads over balloon forms , letting them dry, and popping the balloon to remove it.

flynnyfalcon

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:50:16 pm »

It's a pretty darn good idea.  Issue being, clients may not like their garments treated this way.  Especially one client that uses fine lace and alike. 

I'm sure there are ways to photograph these, whether it's on an mannequin, shot frontwise, then the inverted rear and merged together.  Or shot on a fine wire rack which is cloned out. 

This said, I don't believe it can be too time intensive as I've seen a local photographer offer this service at a fairly low cost.  When you break that cost down into time, I don't believe it could be too complicated.  It's just not worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up