Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad aerial  (Read 5308 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Hasselblad aerial
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:07:57 am »

I just spotted Hasselblad touting their camera as a serious aerial night shooter. Yeah Gods someone have a word with them, they are not just shooting themselves in the foot but aiming through their balls to get there.
Those shots are awful, if anything it demonstrates how poor it is once out of it's comfort zone. I'm sure it's a fine camera but night aerials? not a chance on this showing. I have to wonder if anyone at Hasselblad knows where technology is regarding this kind of work if they think those shots are worthy of fronting their camera.
http://www.hasselbladaerial.com/special-applications/aerial-sample-images.aspx

Kevin.
Kevin.

MrSmith

Re: Hasselblad aerial
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:55:51 am »

Camera manufacturers often choose some abysmal images for marketing purposes so H/Blad are just going with the flow, some of the 'landscape' images that phase use in their marketing emails are shocking, they should use photographers images not those of scientists let out on the weekend.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:13:36 am by MrSmith »

David Jilek

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:57:56 am »

Hasselblads wildlife photos are some of the worst I've ever seen also. They're missing the "Sizzle" factor once again.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:19 am »

Hasselblad Wildlife: http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/2011/12/07/hasselblad-300mm-f4-5-hc-lens-review-2/

granted that was really the only useable shot (H2 with P65+ and Hasselblad 300mm on Gitzo)

and hey! PhaseOne can do Wildlife too, check out the owl (okay its Taxidermy) PhaseOne 645DF + IQ180 + Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 APO
http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/2012/08/21/mamiya-300mm-f2-8-apo-lens-review-with-sample-images-and-comparisons/

Kind-of joking, but I like pushing these systems into telephoto, and low light (Mamiya 80mm f/1.9N and Hasselblad H 100mm f/2.2) but lets face it, its not their strong suits...
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

NickCroken

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:48:45 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, would something like a d800 or even a d4 not be superior for night aerial photography?  Yes, resolution is a bit lower on the d800 than an h4d50 but the files would be so much cleaner. 

I can totally see how this would be better in daylight but am failing to see the merit for night aerials.

MrSmith

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:52:29 pm »

It's all about pride of ownership, that's priceless.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:49 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, would something like a d800 or even a d4 not be superior for night aerial photography?  Yes, resolution is a bit lower on the d800 than an h4d50 but the files would be so much cleaner. 

I can totally see how this would be better in daylight but am failing to see the merit for night aerials.

Even a 5DII would of been better. I now use a 1dX for night aerials and it's fantastic. My old 1DsII was better than those Hassy shots. I'm not knocking  Hasselblad as a camera, it's just the wrong tool for night aerials. So instead of Hassdelblad proving their cameras is a master of a variety of subjects, they have done more to prove it isn't.
That shot is under exposed, but I doubt that camera had it in it to give more, even with gyros getting sharp at less than 1/30th is a bit hit or miss.
The latest Nikons or Canons would wipe the floor in these situations, even 16mp or 18mp would resolve more detail.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:21:42 pm »

This post is very timely as I spent four hours today working with the head of development for the Phase One aerial solution.

I agree 100%, any medium format solution is the wrong tool for night aerial from any moving platform (e.g. helicopter/airplane).

It's a really great tool for aerial photography in general; when there is enough light it simply cannot be matched. But for night? No, I would not suggest this.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:59:26 am »

This post is very timely as I spent four hours today working with the head of development for the Phase One aerial solution.

I agree 100%, any medium format solution is the wrong tool for night aerial from any moving platform (e.g. helicopter/airplane).

It's a really great tool for aerial photography in general; when there is enough light it simply cannot be matched. But for night? No, I would not suggest this.

If Phase One need anymore help or testing just let me know!!
My latest night shots. I doubt it was any darker when I shot these than the Hassy shots, the Sun was well below the horizon. http://kevinallen.photodeck.com/-/galleries/night-flights

Kevin.
Kevin.

FredBGG

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:29 pm »

How about Motorcycle racing?????

Check out Phase One's latest marketing story on their website.....

Alexandre Chailan and David Piolé travel around the world photographing motorbike races including Moto GP events.

Ditching your DSLR may sound like career suicide for a sports photographer, but making this decision proved pivotal for two French practitioners.

"photographing motorcycle races" and then these are the photos they showed:

That is racers standing by their bikes... not photographing motorbilke races.

Good work, but not sports photography.

http://www.phaseone.com/case-studies?case=Alex-and-David

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:37:02 pm by FredBGG »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:40 pm »

Fred, I think you may actually consume more Phase One marketing material than anyone I've met (I'm including all of my contacts at Phase One). To think you do it only to ferociously search for anything you can turn into fodder for your war against them seems trite. Clearly you have zero interest in working with a Phase One product again - why is it you spend so much time watching their videos and reading their PR fluff pieces?

Of course MF is not the right tool when you need to do 10fps and 800mm lenses.

Here's my take: I thought it was a nice marketing piece (it IS marketing, so my expectations are rather low). The context was pretty directly laid out:

Our vision is different because they work for newspapers. They shoot everything. They might shoot 10,000 or 20,000 pictures per race while we might take one image for a specific use in advertising. Each approach compliments the other. We respect other photographers and now they respect us too.

They are going to the races with something other than standard-race-coverage in mind.

I had a similar experiencing shooting a football with an infrared medium format back on a technical wide-angle camera. Football, racing, etc - these are all events and cultures. There is more than the action itself going on. If I had been hired to shoot the football game for a local newspaper story I would not have brought the same gear - obviously. Instead I went with my eyes on other elements of the experience of being at the game. I don't claim the images are anything special to anyone else, but they are special to me.

http://www.doug-peterson.com/osu-vs-ou/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:40:07 pm by Doug Peterson »

FredBGG

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 12:07:02 am »

You don't get my point.

The premise of the article was photographing motorbike races and sports photographers ditching their DSLRs.
Phase one home page and the first line of the article.

Their work is interesting, but it's got nothing to do with a sports photography in the true sense of sports photography.
These are portrait photos taken with a slow camera. Nice work, but not sports photography.

I don't call my photography sports photography because I photograph A-list boxers, football players, world record holders and Olympic champions etc.

True sports photographers are sports photographer... a very respectable breed.

Then there's also the reference to flash sync at 1/1600th of a second for shallow depth of field.

The pair also added some leaf shutter lenses to their photographic armory and they now utilize the fast flash sync capabilities.
“One customer asked for a picture with a really blurred background.
It was at midday in bright conditions but we used 1600/sec shutter speed sync and a wide-open aperture setting and it worked really well.
It's really amazing and is like discovering something new.”

Discovering something new? High speed sync has been around for quite a while and DSLRs were capable of as high as 1/8000th before the
Phase One LS lenses even came out....

FredBGG

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 12:15:23 am »

I'll ingnore your personal attack.....

but I can't resist commenting on your photo.

It's brilliant.

Perspective, depth, the atmosphere the vastness of the crowd in the distance and all of this framing the gesture of the player in the center of the frame.
A composition that is worthy of Cartier Bresson... and shot with a tech camera!!

It also has an uncanny magic about it because while it is a portrait of a player and a team it is shot from the point of view of a player in a stadium.
The angle a player has while crouching before a game play.
That's 10 out of 10. 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:21:46 am by FredBGG »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 12:27:58 am »

Hi,

Phase One for sunny skies in daylight and Nikon D4 for cloudy nights?

;-)
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up