Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Epson Replacement or Repair extended warranties - worth it?  (Read 5827 times)

philbaum

Are Epson Replacement or Repair extended warranties - worth it?
« on: November 27, 2012, 04:25:18 am »

On my R3000, Epson offers a replacement/repair extended warranty for 1 year at $119, 2 years at twice that.

Seems like a lot of money, but I've been told that repair time is going for $50/hour.  Wouldn't take much of a problem for that $119 to be used up.  Has anyone here actually made use of that warranty, and how did it work out?

thanks for any comment, Phil

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Are Epson Replacement or Repair extended warranties - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:48:25 pm »

I've bought three new and three used Epson photo printers.

I still use two of the ones bought new. The third was overhauled twice over ten years before it couldn't be "renewed" any more. That was the Epson 2200. Ran it into the ground and it was replaced about eighteen months ago with a 3880.

The three used printers all work just fine. The second used printer was on a service contract with the previous owner and at the end of the third year, he sold it to get a new printer. That was five years ago. The current used printer I've had nearly two years.

The only thing I've had to do during all this time is to replace waste ink tanks and an occasional cutting blade plus the usual cleaning cycles.

If it's going to break it will be soon after your purchase it.

I'd say, put the money into ink and paper and run the wheels off your printer. When it dies, replace it with the current model replacement.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23:19 pm »

I had one on a 4900 which quit in the middle of a huge deadline. They had another one on my doorstep 16 hours later..............
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:41:04 pm »

Kirk, yep...for the Epson Pro printers the additional One-Year or Two-Year Epson Preferred Plus Service can be really useful. I'm not sure the consumer printers have the same level of support as the pro printers though.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:50:09 am »

I had an HP Z3100 24" printer, which I loved.  I did not get an extended warranty, especially because my use of the printer was very light.  Well, a few months after the first year I started getting specks on my prints and it turned out that the drive belt went south.  When I saw what an HP repair service wanted to replace the belt, I tried it myself and one of my ten thumbs got in the way.  After failing to fix the problem I called HP and they refused to have somebody service it.  I last saw the printer sitting out at the curb...

I now own an Epson 4900, which I am very happy with.  And guess what?  I was happy to buy the 2-year extended service plan.

enduser

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

Why aren't these machines sold like the sign industry buys, where I live.   Their printers are leased for a fixed term of three to five years, so much a month and fully maintained in operating condition?  Sometimes all ink needed is in the payment each month.   When the lease period is over, just renew for a new machine.  Sometimes there's a final "balloon" payment, sometimes not.

This a sure-fire way to be able to just do the print business and then you can stop trying to be a electro-mechanical engineer as well.  Input costs stabilize and are more predictable, which is good business. If you're a high thru-put operation, have two machines so you don't miss a deadline.

mfryd

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:06:30 am »

I bought an extra 2 year warranty for my Epson 3880.  The warranty cost me about $285

After 2.5 years, the printer died.

Epson overnighted me a replacement refurbished printer, and a full set of ink cartridges.  It was defective.

Epson overnighted me a second replacement refurbished printer, and a full set of ink cartridges.  It was also defective.

Epson overnighted me a third replacement refurbished printer, and a full set of ink cartridges.  It was also defective.

Epson finally sent me a new 3880 (with a full set of ink cartridges).   This one worked.

Each printer arrived with a full set of cartridges.  Each defective printer went back with old empty cartridges.  I eventually ran out of empties and had to start returning full carts. 

I ended up with over $1,000 of unopened ink cartridges and a brand new replacement printer.   For me, the $285 for the Epson extended warranty was a very good investment.

KevinM

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:26:32 am »

In my experience, No.

When I bought a 9600, I bought a 1-year support extension.  The printer was very reliable, but I did have technical questions about media, so I called. Responses were uniformly awful and I found better information in these forums and elsewhere.

Extended warranties can be thought of as a form of insurance. SquareTrade sells extended warranties at a lower cost, measured as a percentage of the purchase cost of the printer, than Epson charges. (I don't work for SquareTrade, but I have purchased their warranties.)

Many Visa, MasterCard, and American Express cards also extend the manufacturer warranty for an additional year, but terms and conditions vary.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:59:53 am »

Didn't get one for the 9800 years ago and it just working no matter all the stupid things I did to it.  The 9900 is a little different and I just went and ordered a 2-year a couple days ago.  That said, I've been using the 9900 since January and so far not one lick of problems That I didn't cause myself.  Figured I'd extend the warranty based on outside influences; like buying term life insurance for the beast.

Again, just my 2ยข

Don

philbaum

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:17:58 pm »

I've thought about those third party warranties, but with Epson's, i think you'd have more options available, i.e repair or replace.  altho more expensive. 

Thanks for all the input from everyone.  I'm really liking my printer.  as far as what i've read, one can sign up for these extensions anytime within the existing 1 year warranty period.  I think i'll do at least a one year extension. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up