Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Feed difficulty on 3880  (Read 2109 times)

FrankG

Rear Feed difficulty on 3880
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

I am printing the maximum paper size according to the manual - 37.4in (cut off a roll and pressed flat).

The manual suggests that either Rear or Auto feed can be used for this size. Auto feed works ok but it's difficult to stop the paper from skewing during printing and the borders come out uneven.

Rear feed on the other hand I can't get started on because every time I feed it in, it gives me the paper skew message. I've tried an unimaginable number of times.

Any tips /tricks

hugowolf

Re: Rear Feed difficulty on 3880
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:10:34 pm »

You really need to make sure the leading edge is trimmed absolutely square, and that the right edge (when facing the printer) is completely flush against the guide edge. It also helps to have the printer near a wall so that the paper is supported from behind.

Brian A

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:04 am »

What paper are you using?
It might be possible to use the sheet feeder, or you can try a clothespin to the left of the sliding guide on the rear feeder, up against it so the guide can't shift to the left as you load the paper.  That solved a rear feed problem for me with my 3800.  Once it's in and straight, you should remove the clothespin so the paper is not as constrained.

Aloha, Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

philbaum

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:48:44 am »

An epson rep recently told my brother that the solution is to use glossy or satin canvas, not matte. 

pluton

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »

This probably will not end up being helpful, but I have had an Epson 3800 for a few years now.  The rear paper feed has never been reliable because I usually get a "paper setting error" message.  I've seen the suggestions for paper flatness and making sure the cut is square, but none worked.
Recently, I [would like to believe that I] have discovered that the "p.s.error" that cancels the rear feed doesn't seem to show up IF I issue the Print command through the "Print" button rather than the "Print One" button.  It's not supposed to matter, but there you have it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:10:40 pm by pluton »

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »

The skew problem happens when loading the paper, not when you hit a "print" button.  The machine rejects the load, shows a red blinking light that instructs you to hit the "down arrow", and backs up the paper so it's not in the feed section any more.  Either the rear feed or the sheet feeder will reject the paper feed if it's in there crooked.  You'll have to pull it out backwards and start over.

In addition to the clothespin technique that constrains the left guide on the rear feed, here's how I feed large paper through the sheet feeder if I prefer to do that (which I do most of the time):

1. Place the paper into the sheet feeder down behind the curved guides, and set the left guide so it's just against the edge of the paper, with the bottom of the paper back against the rear wall of the guide, and the edge down to the back bottom of the guide area.  Don't let the bottom of the paper curve towards the front of the machine.  Make sure the guide isn't pushing the paper into a sideways curve, but is just against it to hold it straight against the right side.
2. Reach your fingers down behind the curved guides, and use the backs of your fingernails to get the paper straight across the back (and all the way down to the flat bottom, as above).
3. With everything straight and steady, take your right hand out and hit the rectangular "down arrow" button.  Reach back in, and keep the paper straight and down with just a little downward pressure.  Keep your fingers no closer than about an inch to the bottom of the paper.  The machine will think for a bit, then it will make a whirring sound.  As soon as that sound stops, it will make a grab for the paper with a "snap."  You will automatically take your fingers out of the feed area when it does so.  Trust me on that. You will. The machine will pull the paper into the printer to the start print position and stop with the usual "up and down" motion that verifies that the paper is straight.  It will indicate "ready" and you'll have a green light if everything is fine.  With this method, it works fine for me every time.  Now, the paper is loaded, and it's not going anywhere.
4. Go back to the computer, make whatever checks or adjustments need to be made to the printer driver on the screen, and then hit "print."  The printer may make some more noise as it cleans the head, or whatever it does first, and then it will start printing when it's "dang good and ready."

Aloha, Aaron
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:08:43 am by AaronPhotog »
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

IWC Doppel

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:41:13 am »

I use Fine art papers, 310-340g and find the best solution is to place as squarly as possible and keep a little light pressure on the top of he paper and immediatley release this light pressure as the paper is pulled in. 80-90% success this way, one or two in 10 I have to repeat.  Not perfect but for individual printing, tolerable
Pages: [1]   Go Up