Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silver Falls State Park  (Read 3474 times)

bdosserman

Silver Falls State Park
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:18:25 pm »

Currently going back through some of the older photos that I couldn't process well with my old software. LR is doing wonders with them! Here's one of the Upper North Falls in Silver Fall State Park, OR.

Brian

RobbieV

• My work.
Re: Silver Falls State Park
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25:56 pm »

There isn't much that grabs me from this photo. Soft waterfalls with even softer, uninteresting light.  Sorry, but not really an interesting capture.

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:47:30 am »

Brian, I can't entirely agree with Robbie.
I feel that with just a little bit of added contrast this image could be a winner.

Tony Jay

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:33:58 am »

Afraid I agree with Robbie. It's about what the average tourist would bring home for a slide show.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

bdosserman

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:02:59 pm »

Hi Tony,

Brian, I can't entirely agree with Robbie.
I feel that with just a little bit of added contrast this image could be a winner.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give that a try! I'm just realizing how horribly miscalibrated my screen is, so I think I'm going to hold off on posting anything else until I can at least get the brightness setting in the right ballpark.

Brian

bdosserman

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:05 pm »

There isn't much that grabs me from this photo. Soft waterfalls with even softer, uninteresting light.  Sorry, but not really an interesting capture.

Fair criticisms. What draws me to the photo is the complexity of the forms in the falls, despite the long exposure. But I guess it's not for everyone!

Thanks,

Brian

bdosserman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:08:04 pm »

Hi Sharon,

It seems I only comment in this section to recommend black and white but I think that a b&w conversion would make this photograph. Subtle changes in the yellow and green sliders will make a real difference and I would add a small amount of warming.  I think for a black and white you will have to slightly open up the shadow areas in the cave-like areas of the cliff.

I like your composition a great deal. You nailed the shutter speed.

Thanks for the compliment, and the advice! I had just started to play a bit with a B&W conversion, but your suggestions make quite a difference.

Brian

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 03:03:10 am »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give that a try! I'm just realizing how horribly miscalibrated my screen is, so I think I'm going to hold off on posting anything else until I can at least get the brightness setting in the right ballpark.

Aha, that might explain why this image looks so bland.
I look forward to seeing what you do once your screen is calibrated.

Tony Jay

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:10:17 am »

Me as well. I also have to work on getting my screen calibrated. I'm beginning to notice huge shifts in colour from device to device.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:23:37 am »

Afraid I agree with Robbie. It's about what the average tourist would bring home for a slide show.

Ouch!

bdosserman

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:12:44 pm »

OK, I think my screen is closer to a reasonable calibration, at least as far as brightness goes.

I'm attaching a redone color and a B&W version. I doubt this will convince anyone who disliked it, but Tony and Sharon, I tried to take into account your suggestions, and I think it's substantially improved. Please let me know what you think (and in particular, if I overdid the changes).

Thanks!

Brian

Edit: sorry, forgot one adjustment to the B&W. Here's the correct version.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:16:41 pm by bdosserman »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:31:53 am »

I like this colour version, Brian.
I love the water. On the other hand, the structure of the falls leaves me feeling unsettled because the water is going right and the bedrock is deflecting it left.

degrub

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:07:30 am »

i find the large are of brighter vegetation on the right a little distracting. i would think about reducing the luminance of the vegetation on the right hand side or consider a square framing to focus on the waterfall. But it is a minor nit pick.
Since westerners scan left to right, you might consider flipping the image to place the bright water on the right wide the wide format.

Frank
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:09:59 am by degrub »

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:19 am »

No danger of socially mandated dishonesty here. Meaningful critique is never easy, for either side, but comes to be highly valued if one lives long enough...
A common woman~

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:04 am »

I think your processing is better, and in my opinion the brighter vegetation balances the water while not doing so too strongly since there is a blue cast (to me) in the falls flow.

Pages: [1]   Go Up