Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 File Properties?  (Read 4175 times)

Bill in WV

Lightroom 4 File Properties?
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »

It appears, repeat appears, that LR4 has added Read-Only tags to many of my image files. I recently had a nasty virus, or some sort of attack to my system and this may be related, I don't know. I did not purposely set a read only tag on any file, and this appears to only be happening in LR and I can't clear them. I am the only user of this computer and the only administrator for it. Deep in the recesses of my mind is something similar related to the preferences file, delete the preferences file and restart the program, sound familiar to anyone?
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom 4 File Properties?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 01:36:00 pm »

It's very unlikely indeed that Lightroom would set file properties, so I'd urge you to make sure you've got proper backup of everything and to look more closely at what has happened. Also deleting the preference file may sometimes cure odd problems, especially on Mac, but this sounds more something done outside Lightroom.

eliedinur

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »

If you are referring to Raw files, no third party converter can write to the file, only some converters supplied by the maker. If you are referring to DNGs or rendered image files, you should clarify that.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Bill in WV

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »

Ok, let me clarify, I tried to indicate I have no idea what is going on and I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. These are indeed RAW photos converted to DNG on import, not until I took a peek in Explorer to check properties did they ever see another program. These are DNG images and I can't even save the work done so far to metadata. I'm currently at about 26-27,000 images in this catalog and I have been in LR since its beginning I've never seen this happen. I'm at a loss to explain my dilemma further. BTW- The read-only tag no longer appears in the Explorer Properties, but LR still thinks they're read-only.
Bill Evans

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »

Let's go gently. Do a Find Missing Photos, Bill, under the Library menu. Are there any missing files?

And you say Lightroom thinks they are read-only. Where do you see this and what are the exact terms? Maybe you could post a screenshot showing the problem?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:02:38 pm »

LR doesn't even have a way of doing so.  Look elsewhere.

Bill in WV

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »

Ok, I don't know how to do a screen capture but we'll try this:

Select images in the Grid display
Ctrl+S to save Metadata to Files

A dialog labeled Save Metadata to Files pops up saying
"Some save metadata operations were not performed."
above the list of files appears the statement:
"Photos have read-only access. (6)"
and then the list of files
Bill Evans

kingscurate

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »

Are you windows or mac? I might be going down the wrong road, but if your windows go explorer find your lightroom catalogue, right click and select properties, there you will find attributes. Has the read only box been ticked?
I aint a pro

eliedinur

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 05:51:50 pm »

Are you windows or mac? I might be going down the wrong road, but if your windows go explorer find your lightroom catalogue, right click and select properties, there you will find attributes. Has the read only box been ticked?
He said he gets the notice after doing Ctrl+S, so the problem isn't in the catalog file but rather a problem writing xmps.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th
Pages: [1]   Go Up