Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glacier National Park, MT  (Read 1720 times)

Kevin B

Glacier National Park, MT
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:47:27 am »

Just recently registered and this is my first attempt to post.   I do mostly landscapes and wildlife while hiking/backpacking different areas of the Rock Mountains.  This photo is of Mt Oberlin, taken while on the Highline Trail near Logans Pass the first week of October.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Glacier National Park, MT
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:44:42 pm »

Just recently registered and this is my first attempt to post.   I do mostly landscapes and wildlife while hiking/backpacking different areas of the Rock Mountains.  This photo is of Mt Oberlin, taken while on the Highline Trail near Logans Pass the first week of October.

Welcome! Pretty photo; I'd suggest some noise reduction in the sky, though.

Jeremy

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »

Welcome Kevin.

Jeremy's point about the noise is a valid one.
I also wonder about the contrast in this image - the sky is very bright but the foreground is very dark - possibly small changes here may change a good result into something better.

Tony Jay

Kevin B

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »

Thank you for the comments Tony and Jeremy.  I am not that good at PP and the critique helps.  I had selected "auto" on the curves tool, which gave the dark foreground.  Started over with the original and tried doing it on my own this time.  The noise problem I don't know?  Aperture does have a noise reduction tool, but it just doesn't seem to do anything.  At least not with this photo.  I was using a Nikon D7000 with the ISO at 640 and f9 to get 1/60sec at 66mm on a 18-105mm Nikon lens.   

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:43:10 pm »

Might want to consider a different crop to eliminate a lot of the sky which isn't helping the primary image all that much. I was able to do some luminance control in PS and reduce the noise considerably. I also did some HSB controls on the yellows in the shadows where the snow drifts are.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 04:40:55 am »

Thank you for the comments Tony and Jeremy.  I am not that good at PP and the critique helps.  I had selected "auto" on the curves tool, which gave the dark foreground.  Started over with the original and tried doing it on my own this time.  The noise problem I don't know?  Aperture does have a noise reduction tool, but it just doesn't seem to do anything.  At least not with this photo.  I was using a Nikon D7000 with the ISO at 640 and f9 to get 1/60sec at 66mm on a 18-105mm Nikon lens.   

I have to confess next to no knowledge of how Aperture works in any useful detail.
I certainly have a pretty good grasp of Lightroom and how to massage an image like yours.
The only way to learn is to experiment, in fact do wacky things with the image - just to see what happens.
Ideas will come.
Even those who are acknowledged experts in postprocessing make discoveries now and then.
For those who aren't there yet almost daily discoveries await if one is prepared to give it a whirl.

The baseline image is good enough to be a real winner with the right tweaks.

Tony Jay

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:41:36 am »

Aperture does have a noise reduction tool, but it just doesn't seem to do anything.  At least not with this photo.

It doesn't do a lot unless you pixel-peep. Adding blur to low-structure sky can help.
This helped me make better use of Aperture: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/photo-editing-tutorials.htm

Good composition in your shot.

Kevin B

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:55:47 am »

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the critique and tips.  Using Chrisc's photo as a guide I tried different tools in Aperture to get there.  Very helpful.  Some of the tweaks needed seemed very subtle.  I will be checking that link, Scott.

The end result for now:

Pages: [1]   Go Up