Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another rock  (Read 1730 times)

armand

• Photos
Another rock
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »

I saw people here love them  ;) so I felt the need to add some fuel.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Another rock
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:55:49 pm »

Nice rock.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

niznai

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:07:02 am »

Yes, it's a rock. Now tell us what makes this rock more special than the billions other rocks :-)

First of all there's no billions of rocks there. Just one.

Secondly, this in itself is strange being a river bank and all. The rock obviously came off the top of the bank (it's quite large and angular, so no distant transport, rolling, etc), there's none other the same size around, and it appears to have been there long enough that trees grew behind it, perhaps hiding the path it went down on, so a one-off event. The thick vegetation suggests that is not a very active erosional spot, so I would ask myself, Why did this rock come down alone (and not accompanied by many others everywhere else as in a normal erosional setting which is a river bank)? What mechanism triggered it coming down? I would be looking for a discontinuity in the ground below the rock's place of origin (say a fault) in response to the first question and I would be thinking something along the lines of a small earthquake for the second.

I would also look at what the rock actually is compared to its host at origin. If it's very different, you might have stumbled on an olistolith (there's a PhD dissertation right there), if not, why did it break in one big piece like that rather than a bunch of small ones?

How am I doing?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 03:44:09 am »

Ha ha, I guess I should have phrased my question as "What makes this image (of the rock) special?"

It's black and white. And vaguely appealing to look at. What more do you want?

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 11:15:13 am »

I guess I missed the first reply that's being quoted here but it's nowhere to be found.

I'll start first by saying that I didn't think the original picture has any particular merits so I kind of neglected it for some years. These days however I am in 'bw conversion' phase so I thought to give it a try also. I did some cropping also and the end result looks almost passable to my eyes, significantly better than the original shot. I've noticed this with few other mediocre images of mine.
So the question I have to ask, does bw conversion makes photos better? It shouldn't, right? Was I wrong in the initial evaluation of the photo, or the current bw version is actually no better? But if the current bw version does look better, are we tuned to like bw better? Do we have the preformed opinion that bw is more artsy?

I'll attach the initial color versions, the uncropped one and the cropped, for comparison.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »

The b&w version is ok, but way over-sharpened.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:57 pm »

Just playing...but I wondered if I combined your B&W, blend to luminosity at 60% opacity, if there might be a happy median between the two. Not better, just different.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up