Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: laminator question - mounting large prints  (Read 1059 times)

Roscolo

laminator question - mounting large prints
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »

I'm getting close to purchasing a roll laminator. I've never used a laminator before, so hoping someone who has can answer this:

I always see prints mounted all the way to the edge. For example, a 30"x40" print is mounted to a 30"x40" panel. Is it workable to mount say, a 30"x40" print to a 34"x44" polymetal, dibond, or similar panel in order to use the painted metal of the panel as a "frame" around the print?

Is centering the print for mounting onto the panel a problem?

Factoring in the lamination and mounting film, is that painted border of the polymetal just going to look bad in the end?

Should one just plan on printing any "frame" as part of the print and mounting prints only to panels of the same size? I'm OK with that. I just want to know going in what to plan for.

Thanks

Johnny_Boy

Re: laminator question - mounting large prints
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:43 pm »

1. Is it workable to mount say, a 30"x40" print to a 34"x44" polymetal, dibond, or similar panel in order to use the painted metal of the panel as a "frame" around the print?

2. Is centering the print for mounting onto the panel a problem?

3. Factoring in the lamination and mounting film, is that painted border of the polymetal just going to look bad in the end?

1. Yes, you can mount smaller pictures to a bigger panel
2. Yes, centering is a pain. I align it and use painters blue tape to ensure it stays center
3. Not sure, but you can cut around the photo and remove the backing and lamination, so the backing andlamination is just on the photo and not on the frame portion of the panel. 

hacimd

Re: laminator question - mounting large prints
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:31:13 pm »

Is there a brand that you recommend or use?
Pages: [1]   Go Up