Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Brits Are Thieves!!!  (Read 5869 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Brits Are Thieves!!!
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »

I guess I got your attention ;)

Here is an article from The British Journal of Photography about proposed changes in the UK copyright legislation. The article starts with the following:

"US organisations representing photographers and photo agencies have written to the UK government to oppose proposed changes to the country's copyright laws that would make it legal to use 'foreign works without the knowledge and permission of the copyright owners'..."

Boooooo!!!!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Brits Are Thieves!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:31 pm »

I could perhaps live with the new British policy if they balanced it by giving me, personally, complete and unencumbered access to all bank accounts of any Brit who steals any photograph from anyone. I might even be willing to share a small part of the proceeds with the photographers whose work was stolen.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 03:41:13 am »

I could perhaps live with the new British policy if they balanced it by giving me, personally, complete and unencumbered access to all bank accounts of any Brit who steals any photograph from anyone. I might even be willing to share a small part of the proceeds with the photographers whose work was stolen.

Excellent proposal!
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:47:21 am »

I guess I got your attention ;)

You did. It might have been better to have used the future, rather than the present, tense, however; and it might also have been useful to have read the Bill, or at least the relevant part of it.

The actual measure proposed is rather less exciting than one might expect from the somewhat hysterical response to it. Clause 68 amends an earlier Act by inserting a new section:

116A Power to provide for licensing of orphan works
(1)The Secretary of State may by regulations provide for the grant of licences in respect of works that qualify as orphan works under the regulations.

(2)The regulations may—
(a) specify a person or a description of persons authorised to grant  licences, or
(b) provide for a person designated in the regulations to specify a  person or a description of persons authorised to grant licences

(3)The regulations must provide that, for a work to qualify as an orphan work, it is a requirement that the owner of copyright in it has not been found after a diligent search made in accordance with the regulations.

Note in particular the proposed section 116A(3). The word "must" means that it will be mandatory for the regulations so to provide; the word "diligent" is likely to be taken pretty seriously by the courts in due course; and the burden of proving that any search was "diligent" will be on the searcher.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:58:11 am by kikashi »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:24:11 am »

Brits Are Thieves!!!

Nothing new there, that's what the empire was all about after all. In fact that's what most if not all empires are about when you think about it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:26:25 am »

Nothing new there, that's what the empire was all about after all. In fact that's what most if not all empires are about when you think about it.

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Jeremy

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:42:16 am »

Aqueducts?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:43:07 am »

Aqueducts?

Apart from the aqueduct.

Jeremy

(edited to conform with the script)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:56:22 am by kikashi »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:58:42 am »

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Jeremy

Tch! Typical response of the Peoples Judean Front. We at the Judean Peaples Front however believe that a thorough ongoing investigation needs to be established headed by a fully independent expert drawn from academia who can make recommendations that will be carried forward to an autonomies sub committee of the department of culture and dodgy tobacco department and whose members represent a cross section of religious beliefs and atheist views that encompass a broad variety of orientations and ethnic origins. Only then can we formulate a generally agreed opinion across the spectrum of positions held that is valid in the current political environment.

Vote JPF!!

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 05:09:59 am »

Splitters!

signed, Popular Front for the Liberation of Judea.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 10:59:48 am »

Serves me well... when I start a thread with a joke in the title, that the thread itself turns into a joke :)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 12:12:23 pm »

Hey, revolution is a serious business

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 02:13:05 pm »

Serves me well... when I start a thread with a joke in the title, that the thread itself turns into a joke :)

Well, I did write one serious response, in an attempt, fairly unusual for me, to calm things down. It really doesn't look to me as if the proposed legislation is to be feared as much as some seem to think.

Jeremy

AFairley

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »

Just to drift back on topic ( :)), there also is proposed legislation in the US to deal with orphan works.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_works_in_the_United_States 

stamper

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:05:32 am »

Well, I did write one serious response, in an attempt, fairly unusual for me, to calm things down. It really doesn't look to me as if the proposed legislation is to be feared as much as some seem to think.

Jeremy

Are you saying reply3# was serious? I thought it was the most hilarious post in the thread. ;D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 05:12:13 am »

Are you saying reply3# was serious? I thought it was the most hilarious post in the thread. ;D

Would that be because you prefer facile scaremongering to rational analysis? I'm just curious.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 09:13:09 am »

Slobodan started the thread as a joke. I don't think he meant for anyone to take it seriously? Obviously you have. Jeremy you are the odd one out. ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 09:52:35 am »

Jeremy,

It should be clear that as a Brit, you terrify the bejeezes out of us simple Yanks. I mean, if you keep making highly inflammatory remarks like "I'm just curious," we might start reacting by dumping teabags into Boston Harbor.   ;D  ::)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 03:55:24 am »

Slobodan started the thread as a joke. I don't think he meant for anyone to take it seriously? Obviously you have. Jeremy you are the odd one out. ;)

Slobodan can speak for himself, of course, but I had the impression that while he chose the title as a joke, the subject was intended to be serious; certainly, the authors of the article in the BJP weren't joking about their perception of the dangers.

Eric, I'd love to be terrifying but sadly, I seldom achieve it. Teabags would be a nicely modern version of chests, though.

Jeremy

NancyP

Re: Brits Are Thieves!!! Teabags...
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »

Don't make the same mistake as the political Tea Party, starting out with teabag protests. Check urban dictionary site if you don't know the slang usage of "teabag".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up