Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflection free acrylic question  (Read 3122 times)

JohnBrady

Reflection free acrylic question
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:11:33 am »

I have heard that there is a reflection free acrylic that doesn't look fuzzy, is fairly scratch resistant and is not outrageously expensive.

I use Larson Juhl as my supplier and they sell tru vue brand. They have Optium museum acrylic but at $780 per sheet that one won't work for me.

Tru vue's reflection free acrylic is the typical fuzzy look.

When I can use glass I love the tru vue ultra vue but I do pretty large framed pieces and I haul them to art shows so glass isn't a good option.

I know I have talked to someone about this new product or read about it but can't remember where and my research isn't turning anything up. All help will be appreciated!

www.timeandlight.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Reflection free acrylic question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:12:12 pm »

Truevue has several acrylic products. Optium Museum acrylic and Optium Acrylic both have anti-reflection coatings and do not suffer from the hazy look of "non-glare" reflection control products.  The difference is UV absorbing, one being 99% the other 93%.  In most circumstances there is very little UV getting to images anyway, so many are finding UV absorbing glazing isn't as important for many locations.  They also make some acrylics termed "reflection controled" which is basically a non glare product ... hazy or fuzzy.

As far as alternatives,  photographers such as Peter Lik and Rodney Lough appear to use just standard acrylic or Lexan with no special UV or reflection properties.  Most who buy this type of work will go to the effort of lighting it independently and can control reflections.

I'm not aware of any "inexpensive" anti-reflective acrylic product.  The process to apply the coatings from what I've heard is pretty challenging and expensive to do with acrylic vs glass.  

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:21:08 pm »

I know that the TruVue non-fuzzy coated anti-reflection non-UV glass is 50% or more cheaper than Museum Glass which is the same but with UV blocking, so the Optium acrylic may be similarly cheaper than the Optium museum acrylic.

JohnBrady

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:25:28 pm »

Thanks for the replies! The regular Optium is very expensive too, I go through a lot of glass and acrylic. I know there's another product thats fairly new, I just can't remember what it is. It's hell getting old but it sure beats the options!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »

Acrylite - P99 non glare acrylic???  I don't know this brand or whether it is cheaper than Optimum acrylic but maybe it's the one you are thinking of.  See:  http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/sheet/acrylite-non-glare-d24astz4y47.html

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up