Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200: Moving The Printer  (Read 3817 times)

John Caldwell

Z3200: Moving The Printer
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »

A nice fellow I met is selling a 44" Z3200. I'd like to buy his machine, but am uneasy about the prospect of the 350 mile move. HP suggests no physical modifications to the machine for move preparation, other than a full and formal front-panel shut down. HP suggests that a 10˚ tilt of the machine during transport is acceptable; that turning it fully upside down with be 100% lethal; and the tilt beyond 10˚ is not recommended.

Does anyone have any real world ideas about what angles of tilt are likely to be tolerable? I ask because this particular move will call for movements beyond 10 degree angulation, but I'm not certain enough of all the geometries involved to know whether I need something closer to 90˚, meaning stood up on one end, or not. Further there is the question of what tilt axis is best: front to back axis; or left-right axis.

If we do suffer some damage from over-tilting, I gather it will be a matter of ink contamination. Any ideas about the specific injuries, and what could be done to fix and over-tilt injury, would be great.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:06:46 pm by John Caldwell »

felix5616

Re: Z3200: Moving The Printer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:40:49 pm »

I moved my printer from NH to VA, twice moving it down and up a flight of staires(greater than 10 degrees), for less then 2 minutes each time. Never had a problem. I moved my printer up the steps from a basement to attic, no problems. I then moved from NH to VA up and down steps each time, no problens. I never turned it upside down, would not suggest it, but short periods up and down steps have never caused problems.

William Chitham

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:45:33 am »

I moved a well used z3100 and had to stand it on end for a few minutes in a lift. I stood it right side down on the assumption that at least the head would stay put. Tthe waste ink sludge that had accumulated in the service station leaked out copiously and made a mess of the capping station, fan, right side cover etc etc, basically I had to strip and clean the whole right side of the printer. I think the safe angle of inclination will depend to some extent on how much use the machine has had and hence how much sludge there is but I don't think trial and error is a good way to assess this! If I had to move another I would remove the service station first.
William.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:33:43 am »

If it has to go vertical, it might be a good idea to drain the capping/maintenance station then first if that side will go deep down. I have been thinking to add a hole + a tube at the underside of that black tank for that reason, let it drain for a night. The cover at that side normally has 5 screws but I have one removed so I can get in within a minute. So far I do not think there is that much ink fluid in that tank or on the sponges, most is absorbed. My worry would be five feet of 6 ink tubes vertical, full 6 cartridges at the top and the heads not perfectly sealed to the capping station sponges at the underside, 0.15 bar pressure difference if I count it correctly.  Take out the cartridges at least and possibly the heads, put a diaper in that carriage over the tube ends. Use the orange head capping seals they come with when new, some gloss enhancer dipped on the nozzle surfaces before closing. That is what I did when I had to remove the heads for almost a day for a printer repair.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 11:37:59 am »

William and Ernst, Thanks for these remarks about the maintenance tank. Your incident of inside leakage is, of course, an example of what I'm afraid of. I'll bet that was quite a headache.

I have no knowledge of what's needed to access and drain the Z3200 maintenance talk, but I'll look for references. I wonder if one can interrogate the machine electronically to detect the maintenance tank level on the Z.

HP Relocation Services quoted me a fee greater than the value of the printer to move the machine; I'm hoping they'll be willing to give me advice regarding the steps they'd take to prepare the machine. HP did make it clear that any and all warranty on the machine is voided unless HP does the move.

Felix 56126, it's good to hear of those results. One wonders if the directions of tilt that you employed, not just the angle of tile, played a role in your leak-free move. The level of your maintenance tank might also have been low, permitting greater inclination without spill...

Thanks to all,

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:05:08 pm by John Caldwell »

chichornio

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:10:53 pm »

Hi John,
Take a look at my past thread (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=68939.0) If you haven´t move the z yet, taking out the service station before the moving and handling at any degree, will be my best advice.

William Chitham

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:47:31 am »

There is a link to the z3100 service manual on the z3100users wiki. The 3200 is so similar that I'm sure this will give enough info to remove the service station.

j-land

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 05:15:31 am »

If you're moving it in a truck or van, take it off the stand and sit it on the floor - the underside (of my 24" anyway) even has rubber feet for doing exactly that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up