Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble with FTP site, Transmit, Mac  (Read 3546 times)

billy

Trouble with FTP site, Transmit, Mac
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:17:59 pm »

I am having problems with my FTP site that I deliver jobs on to my client; when I try to upload a zipped folder anywhere from 2-7 gb it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. When it doesn't, the client tells me that the zipped file is corrupt. I have tried trouble shooting with all the players ( internet provider, Applecare, FTP site technical support ) to no avail. Can anyone recommend a different protocol to deliver these files? Are there companies that sell an FTP service? I do not want to use dropbox, google drive, u send it, etc. I want a dedicated FTP site that will let me upload un-zipped files ( my current ftp site is set up so that I must zip the files ).

jonathanlung

Re: Trouble with FTP site, Transmit, Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »

(I'm assuming that your zipped files are indeed valid and the problem isn't in the zipping/unzipping software used.)

I'm not sure if it's a problem with FTP itself that you're witnessing here since FTP supports files larger than 7GB, but problems may arise with large files depending on the clients used to upload and download, the target file system (although probably not a problem nowadays), and the server's file system and software.

Instead, it might make sense to split the ZIP file you're transferring into chunks less than 2GB or to compress subsets of images (if applicable) into a series of ZIP files that are each <2GB. That way, if your clients are unable to resume partial downloads, they won't have to restart. If you go the split-one-big-zipfile route, you can also calculate a checksum for each chunk you upload and have your clients do the same to see which chunks have been corrupted. This can also be helpful in diagnosing where the corruption is occurring.

K.C.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:50:59 am »

francois

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07:51 am »

…Instead, it might make sense to split the ZIP file you're transferring into chunks less than 2GB or to compress subsets of images (if applicable) into a series of ZIP files that are each <2GB.

FWIW, BetterZip allows you to split zip archives in smaller files.
I would follow Jonathan's suggestion and try to split the huge zip files into smaller sized files and decide then whether changing to a different FTP site is worth it or not.
Francois

billy

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »

FWIW, BetterZip allows you to split zip archives in smaller files.
I would follow Jonathan's suggestion and try to split the huge zip files into smaller sized files and decide then whether changing to a different FTP site is worth it or not.

hey thanks. i followed that link to BetterZip, I couldnt figure out how it works, would I still be uploading one zipped file?

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 05:07:34 am »

hey thanks. i followed that link to BetterZip, I couldnt figure out how it works, would I still be uploading one zipped file?

Actually, BetterZip can split the zip file into multiple smaller files  (all in one operation). Try to choose a something smaller than 2GB. Then, with Transmit, you only have to upload all the files. I've attached a screenshot that describes how you use BetterZip (in this exemple, I chose 1GB size limit).

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:14:31 am by francois »
Francois

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »

I am having problems with my FTP site that I deliver jobs on to my client; when I try to upload a zipped folder anywhere from 2-7 gb it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. When it doesn't, the client tells me that the zipped file is corrupt. I have tried trouble shooting with all the players ( internet provider, Applecare, FTP site technical support ) to no avail. Can anyone recommend a different protocol to deliver these files? Are there companies that sell an FTP service? I do not want to use dropbox, google drive, u send it, etc. I want a dedicated FTP site that will let me upload un-zipped files ( my current ftp site is set up so that I must zip the files ).

I just use the space provided by my web host.  I cna make secure folders for all of my clients and I just drag and drop un zipped files, some up to a GB in size using Fillezilla in either win or osx.  The space is part of my hosting package from Inmotinon hosting.
Craig Lamson Photo

K.C.

popnfresh

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:48:02 am »

If you're on a Mac and zipping files for clients that are using PCs, the problem could be in the way you're zipping the files. The built-in file compressor in OS X preserves Mac file metadata, which can cause problems with some Windows unzipping programs. Try zipping using a utility like YemuZip, which gives you a choice of zipping for either Mac or PC. The latter eliminates potentially problematic Mac file metadata. It's a free utility and it can be had here:  http://www.yellowmug.com/yemuzip/
Pages: [1]   Go Up