Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which to buy - an OMD or X-E1  (Read 10739 times)

Pelao

Re: X-E1: next year's promised zoom lenses should greatly broaden its appeal
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 12:34:58 pm »

I mostly agree, but not entirely.  I certainly agree that for the actual needs of most photographers choosing a camera system, it is sufficient for the system to have about two to four lenses that are wanted now or have much likelihood of being wanted later. And if your lens needs later expand in an unanticipated way, selling one system and moving to another is easier than ever these days, so it makes little sense to pass on the system that works best for you now just for fear of some slight possibility that it might cramp you in the unforseen future.

So instead of counting total lens options, one should probably look at the actual list and compare to actual needs and concrete plans.

The point I disagree on is the claim that having only one zoom lens "is a limitation for only a small number of people." The evidence instead suggests that the short list of lenses that most camera system users buy and use includes several zoom lenses. The core list is rather short though; above all:
1. A standard moderate wide to moderate telephoto, 4x better than 3x if this is the only zoom lens
2. A telephoto starting roughly where the #1 zoom leaves off
and then maybe one or both of
3. A wide-angle zoom.
4. An all-in-one wide ranging zoom covering a zoom range of about 8x, 10x or more.

Since the Fujifim X system already has a fine #1 zoom, and has a #2 and #3 in its roadmap for next year at
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n120626.html
the system does seem well on the way to serving the actual lens needs of all but "a small number of people."

[Edited to add the official source of that lens roadmap.]

That's a fair comment on what I wrote. What  was trying to get across is that the totality of available lenses within a system can be an overstated factor for those who know what they like to shoot. Of course, it's useful to have a system that can adapt to your changing needs.

BJL

X-E1: next year's promised zoom lenses should greatly broaden its appeal
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 01:36:57 pm »

... the totality of available lenses within a system can be an overstated factor for those who know what they like to shoot.
Completely agreed: it is bit like the race between the iPhone and Android to be the first with a million apps!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up