Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stitching ...  (Read 2717 times)

hasselbladfan

Stitching ...
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:59:24 am »

I would love to start doing some stitching in nature photography (to immitate my old Xpan pictures).

How do I start?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Stitching ...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:27:09 am »

I would love to start doing some stitching in nature photography (to immitate my old Xpan pictures).

How do I start?

Hi,

Start simple, and as you gain an understanding of some issues that may prevent a perfect stitch, you can add components to your setup to solve those issues.

You can start with your current gear+tripod. Then you need Panorama stitching software, e.g. Photoshop if you already have that, or a more dedicated software that allows to intervene when things do not line up as intended. You can start with a free stitching program like Hugin.

You will learn that it is necessary to add some hardware to successfully avoid parallax issues that would otherwise prevent you from lining-up both foreground and background features in the overlap between images at the same time. This becomes more apparent when you include detailed foreground features. You need to shift the camera into a position that allows you to rotate the camera around the axis through the entry pupil of your lens, a rotation that's usually called Yaw. When the camera's tripod socket is aligned exactly underneath the optical axis line, then you only need some hardware to shift the camera back (or forward) in order to allow horizontal rotation of the camera/lens through the lens' entry pupil position, AKA the no-parallax point (NPP). When the camera's tripod socket is offset to one side relative to the optical axis line, then you need additional hardware to solve that issue.

When you want to expand from horizontal stitches to multirow stitcches, then additional hardware is required.

When you intend to do panoramas on a regular basis, it is wise to invest in a modular set of hardware additions that can be expanded as the complexity  of the required setup increases, instead of having to buy completely new hardware. While not cheap, the Really Right Stuff materials offer good quality and they have several sets specifically intended for panoramas such as their Pano-Elements-Package (the URL link seems to be broken currently).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:47 am »

Really right Stuff hasa solid and short basic tutorial here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=108

I do recommend that you either get a panning clamp to go on top of your tripod head or use a head (like the Arca-Swiss p0, p1, D4, D4M, C1 or Induro PHQ-3) that has a panning movement built into the camera platform.

Stitching software: If you have Photoshop CS6 , the current version of their Photomerge Script is pretty good and a good place to start. If it isn't working for you PTGui (I use PTGui Pro 9.1.5) and AutopanoPro software are the standard recommended options.

If you are having stitching glitches, and you are omfortable with editing masks in Photoshop, consider exportign the stitched iamge asa blend +layers option but depending o nthe size of the layered file you'll likely need to use the PSB format instead of JPEG, PSD or TIFF formats.

If I want to see how an panoramic works as an image, consider doing a lower resolution version first and then going back and making it full scale.

One last note. I have noticed that if you  stitch the same project twice  the second time may yield better results than the first go round. Why this is so I do not know.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:52:52 am »

...How do I start?

There are basically only two ways to start:

1. From left to right
2. From right to left

jferrari

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:26:55 pm »

In addition to the advice given thus far I would also add to shoot portrait instead of landscape, albeit counter-intuitive.     - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up