Author Topic: This  (Read 7770 times)

michswiss

This
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:56:01 am »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: This
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »

It seems to me as though the curtin has just gone up and the play is under way.  The bright glow from the windows gives the stage set depth and balance.

Bruce

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »

Looks to me like a candidate for a Content-Aware Scaling in Photoshop. Too much empty space around the horizontal guy?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:21:45 pm »

I love it! All these characters doing their individual things.
Somehow it reminds me of the play Zoo Story (Albee).
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:54:40 pm »

After looking at this several times, I find that a) it's an excellent photograph. Really very good. Lots to look at, lots of raised questions, and a fortuitous arrangement of objects into the bargain. b) I find the relatively high-contrast treatment you've given it a bit excessive.

The latter is a minor quibble and a matter of taste at that, and probably reflects my antiquated tastes more than anything else.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:49:54 pm »

Sorry, Jenn, all I see is a mixed collection of hoboes doing nothing much. What did you see in this one?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »

Sorry, Jenn, all I see is a mixed collection of hoboes doing nothing much. What did you see in this one?
Aw, Russ! I guess you just don't understand "street."    ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »

Oh, boy! This is really getting more and more interesting.

Pass the popcorn!

quickhiker

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »

I like it (and enjoyed perusing the other images on your page as well!). I agree with the contrast comment above, in part. I think the contrast works well on the pavement and building for texture, but feels a bit harsh on the faces/heads of the people, especially the glow on the bald guy. Adjusting brightness/contrast in targeted areas would be worth experimenting with. I like the diversity of the stories.... lots to look at.

RSL

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »

Aw, Russ! I guess you just don't understand "street."    ;D

Maybe not, Eric. Enlighten me. What is there about this picture that makes it "street?" I don't see a story. I don't see ambiguity. A few years ago I'd shot so many hobo pictures, and given away so many copies to the local hoboes that they started looking for me and asking me to "take my picture." But it's almost impossible to turn a hobo picture into a street photograph. Hoboes tend to be easy subjects because generally they're pretty helpless, but because there are so many people shooting hobo pictures they've become a standard cliché. Shooting hoboes is a turkey shoot.

Oh, and I agree with Slobodan. The composition leaves a great deal to be desired.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:34:45 pm by RSL »

amolitor

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

The pair on the left side of the frame anchors the "ambiguous" and "narrative" elements, for me. The central figure and the right side of the frame are just context, and I admit that's a lot of context for not a lot of street.

The composition feels quite nice to me. Slobodan has a point that it's a bit open, but I am ok with a lot of space in photographs. More than most people, I have noticed, I am comfortable with forms having a lot of elbow room. The geometry is not particularly strong, but I like the distribution of figures around the central group of 3 windows.

I only see one, or possibly two, hobos in here. Everyone else is, probably, waiting for a bus, or I prefer to think, waiting for something.

michswiss

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:56:33 pm »

I agree that the figures are probably too contrasty.  I haven't touched the original since I uploaded it a couple of year's ago.

And Eric, you're right.  Russ doesn't really understand street.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:00:52 pm by michswiss »

WalterEG

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »

(and enjoyed perusing the other images on your page as well!)

+!

RSL

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 09:29:00 am »

I agree that the figures are probably too contrasty.  I haven't touched the original since I uploaded it a couple of year's ago.

And Eric, you're right.  Russ doesn't really understand street.  ;)

I'm mystified Jennifer. I've seen you do some really good street. I always assumed you knew what you were doing when you shot those pictures. I still think you understand the difference between good street photography and snapshots of hoboes, but if you're telling me you think this shot is good street then I have to conclude that something has clouded your judgment. Maybe it's too much time looking at garbage that fancies itself street photography on other sites.

michswiss

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:05:52 am »

I'd be interested on your definition of street. (I've seen your screed and not surprised it's failed to get published.  You're angry, I get that.) I have never claimed that I follow a particular style.  You're definition of street would leave it more than several decades behind.  And irrelevant.

I guess I don't care.  If you care to comment on my work in the future, please do it with a clean spirit.  Photography should be fun.

seamus finn

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 11:05:01 am »

I guess I don't care.

For someone who doesn't care, you sure have a lot to say - and some of it mean. On this one, I agree with Russ - the image is a mess with no saving compositional grace. It's a cheap shot of outliers, I believe you prefer to call them, as is your shot at Russ. Certainly NOT fun in my book.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:42:23 pm by seamus finn »

michswiss

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 06:04:14 pm »

For someone who doesn't care, you sure have a lot to say - and some of it mean. On this one, I agree with Russ - the image is a mess with no saving compositional grace. It's a cheap shot of outliers, I believe you prefer to call them, as is your shot at Russ. Certainly NOT fun in my book.

Cheers.

Seamus,

Russ is an angry old man.  Until he decided that he knew best, I would never have added comments to one of my image posts.  But, he made a decision to start belittling another person here that I hold in regard that isn't even a member of this forum.  I sent multiple PMs to him suggesting he ease up, but easing up isn't in RSLs nature.

Personally, I disagree with his opinions on photography.  I think his definition of street is outmoded and outdated and his attempts in the genre generally fall into the same category.  You are his current pet project.  I'm pretty sure it would be difficult for you to post something that he wouldn't either heap praise on or gently try to nudge you back into his world view.

This might sound mean, but it's the same ride I went on from the point I became an active poster on LuLa.

As to this shot?  Oddly, it's one of the few I have in my collection that I've dropped in front of professional editors in a portfolio review.  They thought it was good.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »

...it's one of the few I have in my collection that I've dropped in front of professional editors in a portfolio review.  They thought it was good.

Me, too.  Really good photographs ask questions.  Your image is full of them.

Same thoughts on contrast, though.  Small size, on-screen, it works.  On print, or a bigger screen image, it is a little contrasty.

I don't think the composition is too "open".  I like the separateness of the characters.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 08:26:50 pm »

I don't think the composition is too "open".  I like the separateness of the characters.

Everyone is on his or hers mark as the curtain goes up.

Peter

seamus finn

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 06:31:51 am »

Russ is an angry old man.  Until he decided that he knew best, I would never have added comments to one of my image posts.  But, he made a decision to start belittling another person here that I hold in regard that isn't even a member of this forum.  I sent multiple PMs to him suggesting he ease up, but easing up isn't in RSLs nature.

Hmmmm....Easing up doesn't seem to be in your nature either, Jennifer.If you hold Russ in such disregard, why do you bother engaging with him at all?  Why give a damn what an angry old man thinks   However, I seem to remember his pouring generous praise on many of your images here, so if he doesn't know what he's talking about, where does that leave the stuff of yours that he likes? According to your definition, it's crap because he doesn't know what he's talking about! And since he seems to like much of what I post here, it must mean my stuff is absolute crap as well. In that respect, you seem to agree with him because you've seldom had a good word for anything of mine.

As to the picture here, we'll have to agree to disagree. However, I'm puzzled why you feel the need to have it critiqued at all since, as you reveal, it has passed muster with all these professional editors you mention. Let me say in passing, I was an award-winning newspaper editor myself for over forty years, so I'm not exactly a babe in the woods when it comes to pictures.

As for that gratuitous remark about my being 'a pet of his'. you're absolutely right - it does sound mean. However, I'll take it on the chin and keep posting in the hope that someday, you'll see something YOU like.

Slainte, my dear.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:57:03 am by seamus finn »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up