Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: highest quality screw on ND filters  (Read 8300 times)

billy

highest quality screw on ND filters
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:24:04 pm »

looking for the best glass that they make for a 55mm thread size, 10 stop plus an IR filter as well. Tiffen does not make the 'water whites' in this size(their best glass supposedly). Cooter said Schneider was good but they only have their sub company making the screw on glass filters; B+W, are they any good? Trying to avoid color shifts is my main concern.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: highest quality screw on ND filters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »

Yes, they are good. So is Singh Ray.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:46:39 am »

looking for the best glass that they make for a 55mm thread size, 10 stop plus an IR filter as well. Tiffen does not make the 'water whites' in this size(their best glass supposedly). Cooter said Schneider was good but they only have their sub company making the screw on glass filters; B+W, are they any good? Trying to avoid color shifts is my main concern.

Have you considered step up rings

I have found it most cost effective to buy any filters at 77 and step my lenses up to that

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

billy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »

yeah, I am trying to keep the overall camera as small as possible. i have chosen a small lens for this purpose.

Ligament

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:10:53 pm »

Ziess are reported to be stellar

jeremypayne

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 02:19:07 pm »

B+W, are they any good?

B+W are quality.

jeremypayne

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »

Ziess are reported to be stellar

Where do you buy them?

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:30:38 pm »

Billy,

I have the B+W NDs screw-ons sets in various sizes.

Haven't used the 3.0(s) since back in the 5D2 days, & when I did always stacked a Tiffen Hot Mirror on top, but never loved this solution.

I don't know of a better brand for screw-ons at this strength, but would be interested if you found otherwise.

Different sensors have different responses to IR, & no one brand's filters work equally on all, rather it's the case of choosing the best optimized for your particular camera.

Best,
Bern
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:32:16 pm by Bern Caughey »

billy

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »

Billy,

I have the B+W NDs screw-ons sets in various sizes.

Haven't used the 3.0(s) since back in the 5D2 days, & when I did always stacked a Tiffen Hot Mirror on top, but never loved this solution.

I don't know of a better brand for screw-ons at this strength, but would be interested if you found otherwise.

Different sensors have different responses to IR, & no one brand's filters work equally on all, rather it's the case of choosing the best optimized for your particular camera.

Best,
Bern

thanks bern. my choices seem to be ;B+W or Heliopan at this point ...... they are going on a BMC camera that I should have next week so the IR effect will need to be tested. Base iso is 800 for best DR, and shooting at F2 will look like F 5.6 so I am getting ready for needing at least 10 stops if shooting in daylight. And I will be shooting pro res, not raw, so will want my WB clean as possible.

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:36:24 pm »

Billy,

Perhaps the upcoming filter expo at AbelCine/NYC could be useful.

http://training.abelcine.com/event/abelcine-expo-filters-for-digital-cinema-new-york/

Best,
B
Pages: [1]   Go Up