Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....  (Read 332176 times)

Allen Bourgeois

Re: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, till I get my own MM
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2013, 06:55:09 pm »

They called me tonight, after I send them another mail.

We have a call planned for tomorrow evening. Let's cross our fingers. :)

I'm hoping for you!!!!!

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »

Allen, very good eye for street!

Thank you Luke....

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2013, 06:56:13 pm »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »

Allen,

There was some hope a couple of days ago ! This was the message I got :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Samys.com Visitor - Orders~Order Assistance - General

Georges,

Your Leica camera will be available in a few days.
Let me know how you are going to pay and where to ship to.
Leica monochrom w/ Free 32GB memory card.
Price $7,995.00

Thank you.
Shoichi
--------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:14:34 pm by hasselbladfan »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2013, 12:13:03 pm »

Then I got this message ! LOL   ;D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 11:39 PM
Subject: RE: Orders~Order Assistance - General - any news?

Georges,

Shoichi is taking a couple of days off and he will be back on Tuesday.  I don’t have any information for your regarding the Leica Monochrome camera.  You will have to wait to speak with Shoichi or Tebor.  I have forwarded your emails.  You can call 323-938-2420 and then press zero (0) for operator and have either Tibor or George paged.

Thank you,
Penny
-------------------------------------------------------------

Rob C

« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2013, 12:34:13 pm »

Then I got this message ! LOL   ;D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 11:39 PM
Subject: RE: Orders~Order Assistance - General - any news?

Georges,

Shoichi is taking a couple of days off and he will be back on Tuesday.  I don’t have any information for your regarding the Leica Monochrome camera.  You will have to wait to speak with Shoichi or Tebor.  I have forwarded your emails.  You can call 323-938-2420 and then press zero (0) for operator and have either Tibor or George paged.

Thank you,
Penny
-------------------------------------------------------------

It's not too late: you could still cancel and save your pennies!

Sometimes, divine providence gives you these breaks.

;-)

Rob C

hasselbladfan

« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2013, 01:13:14 pm »

You are right.

I am getting some "devine" messages for more than a year ! Sorry, 6 months.

Gary Mulcahey

« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »

6 months is crazy. I ordered from a Leica Boutique in Montreal. Got mine in about 4 1/2weeks.

G

hasselbladfan

« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2013, 03:52:18 am »

I ordered from a Leica Boutique in Montreal. Got mine in about 4 1/2weeks.

Gary,
That's exactly the point. The Leica stores get priority.
The normal dealers have to wait. But, since I wanted to use a store-credit, I had to wait.  ???

Gary Mulcahey

« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2013, 04:25:41 pm »

Sorry for your troubles. Nothing worse than wanting something, paying for it and having to wait an ridiculously long time to get it.

G

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2013, 11:25:11 pm »

I took 4 months to get my 35 LUX FLE and almost months to get my MM.

I hear the wait for the new M could be 9 months...

Rob C

Re: LEICA M MONOCHROM : first impressions ?
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2013, 01:58:10 pm »

The images look nice, don't get me wrong, but at least on the web I still don't see the advantage of the MM over, say, an M8/9, 5d2 or D800 carefully converted using SilverFX. I'm not trolling or anything, but I don't see it.

You don't even need to go up to D800.

This one is from my D700 with a second-hand manual 2/35mm AIS Nikkor. Hand-held.

In the end, I think it all comes down to how you care to process and what you like in pictures. I've watched this thread since it started, and the more I see, the less 'different' and superior the Leica product appears to me, and the thought of losing the great digital advantage of both colour and b/w on the same metaphorical roll, the more demented the Leica manifesto behind the MM appears to be.
Yep, you may have the free pennies and you may like the rangefinder style - odd how the two likes seem to run together - but for me, even with shitty eyesight now, I'll stay with Nikon.

For what a used D700 and some ordinary manual Nikkors might be worth today in cash terms, I don't expect you could buy even a single Leica objective. Hard to see where you'd be better off in photographic terms.

This shot was worked on an ancient Photoshop 6 setup on XP, no other effects filter programmes or similar used - I don't have or want them.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:01:21 pm by Rob C »

bcooter

« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2013, 02:28:40 pm »

You don't even need to go up to D800.

The one advantage of a monochrome camera is it makes you shoot black and white.

We're in this period where most young photographers think shooting black and white is just a filter change though prior to digital when we shot black and white film, your brain went to black and white, you thought in black and white, light and tone, composition and never had the thought of color to get in the way.

But then again we didn't have a device that did both easily.

IMO

BC

Rob C

« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2013, 02:59:35 pm »

The one advantage of a monochrome camera is it makes you shoot black and white.

We're in this period where most young photographers think shooting black and white is just a filter change though prior to digital when we shot black and white film, your brain went to black and white, you thought in black and white, light and tone, composition and never had the thought of color to get in the way.

But then again we didn't have a device that did both easily.

I couldn't agree more: it's a total mind switch or you get problems, such as shooting mid-green against mid-red and expecting to see them as distinct b/white tones. Thanks to the fashion business for ironing all of that out early on!

However, I can't believe that one shoots b/white or colour on whim: surely one needs to have an idea first about why one wants to expose the frame in the first place?

But, if you want to reserve the MM for the wealthy amateur, for whom such thoughts might be totally irrelevant, then fine; it sure ain't no skin of my nose, but for the rest of the populace who might just be buying into the dream that the gear makes the photographer, there are other ways, cheaper and just as good, and they still won't make the photographer either.

Rob C

[/

bcooter

« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2013, 03:15:23 pm »

I couldn't agree more: it's a total mind switch or you get problems, such as shooting mid-green against mid-red and expecting to see them as distinct b/white tones. Thanks to the fashion business for ironing all of that out early on!

However, I can't believe that one shoots b/white or colour on whim: surely one needs to have an idea first about why one wants to expose the frame in the first place?

But, if you want to reserve the MM for the wealthy amateur, for whom such thoughts might be totally irrelevant, then fine; it sure ain't no skin of my nose, but for the rest of the populace who might just be buying into the dream that the gear makes the photographer, there are other ways, cheaper and just as good, and they still won't make the photographer either.

Rob C

[/

Actually, cameras do make a difference in the way I work.  They won't make me better, but they do make the image different.  A manual rangefinder limits you, sometimes in a good thoughtful way.

I've always said I should buy another m8 and just epoxy the settings to black and white. 

I personally like cameras with some limitations because the work arounds usually produce a more unique result.

I always loved black and white but found early on in my career if I showed 20% black and white 80% color, client's would say, oh your the black and white guy.

IMO

BC

Rob C

« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »

Actually, cameras do make a difference in the way I work.  They won't make me better, but they do make the image different.  A manual rangefinder limits you, sometimes in a good thoughtful way.

IMO

BC

Cameras, yes, insofar as format makes a helluva difference to thinking: with a Nikon I could be quite quick; with the 'blad I was pretty much always tripod-bound. But eventually, with both, I found myself more and more on a tripod, probably because the end results were getting larger and larger and shake would show.

But regardless of format, I still believe you have to get your picture act together (colour or b/w) first. At least, I had to. Once you have done that, the actual camera shouldn't hinder you any: simply shoot for whichever choice you made. Apart from anything else, it means you have to worry about less and less gear.

Rob C

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2013, 06:19:04 pm »

Rob having to not think about gear is great. I just go out with the MM and the 35 lux and I actually see quite well in B&W and at that F/L. Seems like the perfect camera for me and the my vision and I was right. For me, its a camera that just gets out of the way. You also probably wont see a big diff with low res jpgs on the web but the prints are truly amazing. I see a difference between my files from my 5DII and files from 5DIII. The files right out of camera are sharper and have way more room in shadows (more DR).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:03:25 pm by Allen Bourgeois »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:40 pm »

A few from the past week

BrianVS

« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2013, 08:32:51 pm »

http://www.leicaplace.com/members/brian/albums/csonnar-50-1-5/

Not sure if images from the leicaplace.com gallery show up here or not, it is where I am hosting most of my albums these days. I've been using the modern Zeiss C-Sonnar on the M Monochrom, mine is perfect at F1.5 on it.

Next lens on it will also be a 5cm F1.5, made by Nikon in 1949. Only about 300 made in Leica mount. Glass is near mint on it. Quick test, perfect RF agreement at F1.5.

hasselbladfan

Re: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2013, 06:53:35 am »

Still can't believe it ....

Still not sure if I am awake ......

YES. I got finally the MM.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35   Go Up