Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....  (Read 332109 times)

TMARK

Re: LEICA M MONOCHROM : first impressions ?
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2013, 10:49:15 am »

I have NO IDEA who it is. I was walking past this open bar window in Wicker Park, Chicago and as I walked by I noticed at that exact moment he mimicked the picture behind him and I pushed the shutter. The next step I took changed the relationship with the picture and him and he shifted out of that position.

It's not him. It's a look alike!  I sent him the link to this pic. It freaked him out a bit to see a doppelgänger.

BrianVS

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »

Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5, wide-open.

jupiter3_1950 by putahexanonyou, on Flickr

jupiter3_1950_4 by putahexanonyou, on Flickr

Focal length modified for the Leica standard.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »

TMARK

« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2013, 04:14:25 pm »

I obtained some MM DNGs.  I compared them to my M9 and M8.

I will be getting an MM.  I've been shooting B&W film for 25 years, from working for the AP in DC, Europe and West Africa to shooting fashion editorials.  I believe that I can get the look of EVERY type of B&W film I've ever used from the MM using LR and SilverFX.  I can't do that with the M9, M8 or D800e.  (The M8, M9 and D800e are all very good B&W cameras, with the edge going to the M8 due to, I believe, its IR sensativity).  The detail is softer than the D800e, but the files enlarge so well.  I'm actually astonished how well the files enlarge to 16x24 at 360 just using PS.  There is almost no loss of detail. 

My only concern is how the highlights clip (not when, but how).  It doesn't have a film like haliation, like the D800e does.  If you expose for the highlights its not much of a problem.

I will also keep my D800e and continue to shoot MF film. 

Thanks Allen for your pics.  leiuca should send you a lens or at least some filters when I get my MM.

TM

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:22 am »

CONGRATS...I usually don't get very high on cameras. To me they really are tools but I really fell in love with my MM. The only other camera I was ever this attached to was my 500 C/Ms. I hope that you like and use yours as much as I do mine.

I do think a 50 0.95 noct or a new 50 cron APO would be a nice gesture from them LoL
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:09:35 am by Allen Bourgeois »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2013, 11:33:39 am »

Good set Allen.
Most street stuff I see posted could of been taken with the camera around the neck with the shutter set to fire every 10secs. These have actually caught a moment that is worth capturing, rather than just a moment of the mundane.
Kevin.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »

Thanks Kevin.

TMARK

« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »

CONGRATS...I usually don't get very high on cameras. To me they really are tools but I really fell in love with my MM. The only other camera I was ever this attached to was my 500 C/Ms. I hope that you like and use yours as much as I do mine.

I do think a 50 0.95 noct or a new 50 cron APO would be a nice gesture from them LoL

I'll tell them to send one on to you! 

T

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »

I knew I could count on ya... ;D

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2013, 10:03:15 am »

All I have from the past week is some stuff I shot for clients. So heres a couple of things from an event from one of my university clients I shot yesterday.

I shot everything on this wall display and there are three others kinda like it within the university. These photos on the display are all in color.

A couple from the event.

Rob C

« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2013, 03:26:14 pm »

Toshiba Woman is kinda saying it all!

;-)

Rob C

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2013, 10:52:56 pm »

LoL... Yes she is.

FredBGG

« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2013, 01:27:29 am »

Allan

Have you shot any portrait using light green filters?

I often used green with film to produce a more descriptive shin tone in black and white.

I wounder how it would look with the Monochrome Leica.

The images you have posted are quite impressive.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2013, 07:56:56 am »

Thanks and no I haven't tried a portrait with a green filter yet but I will give it a try. I had to order filters and haven't had them that long. Got yellow, orange, green and red.

WWII veteran no filter

Rob C

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:50 am »

Thanks and no I haven't tried a portrait with a green filter yet but I will give it a try. I had to order filters and haven't had them that long. Got yellow, orange, green and red.

WWII veteran no filter

That shot has a damned nice range of tones, one of the few times I've seen that camera system actually produce what it says on the tin. Obviously success/failure can be down to operator, but that one shot proves to me that the camera is capable of challenging the 'look' of traditional b/w film. I like it a lot.

Rob C

TMARK

« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:35 am »

That shot has a damned nice range of tones, one of the few times I've seen that camera system actually produce what it says on the tin. Obviously success/failure can be down to operator, but that one shot proves to me that the camera is capable of challenging the 'look' of traditional b/w film. I like it a lot.

Rob C

Rob,

I am planning on getting one.  I received and shot some samples.  I found that the MM is capable, far more capable under the right conditions, than any other digital color camera.  I think it likes flat lighting best.  The files are very maliable and the range of tones is impressive.  The D800e is no slouch for B&W either, but the MM edges it out.

T

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »

Thanks Rob.....

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »

From my experience its sharper and has more DR than the 5DII or 5DIII. The B&W DNG files have so much there. Just be careful not to over expose. The shoulder in unforgiving and there is a lot of info in the toe. So exposing to the right is not a good idea like with many DSLRs.

TMARK

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:26 pm »

From my experience its sharper and has more DR than the 5DII or 5DIII. The B&W DNG files have so much there. Just be careful not to over expose. The shoulder in unforgiving and there is a lot of info in the toe. So exposing to the right is not a good idea like with many DSLRs.

I agree, from the files I've seen pulling back exposure on the MM is the way to go.

The best files I've seen are super flat out of the camera.  In post they can be anything you want them to be.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2013, 02:12:45 pm »

Yes they are very flat and have lots of detail if exposed properly and are just wonderful to work with because there are some many possibilities and room for personal interpretation.

This was such a bold move by Leica and I applaud them for this amazing B&W camera. THere are so many DSLRs out there that are trying be be the one size fits all and I for one do not like the direction that the big 2 are moving in. I hope that Leica comes out with a new M-E with the new CMOS in it. If they do I will be all over that and dump my Canon gear and completely move over to Leica even for my professional work. Probably to M-Es if thats indeed what happens. And I doubt I will even dump my MM as long as it can be repaired if it ever breaks down.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:34:15 pm by Allen Bourgeois »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35   Go Up