Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....  (Read 332149 times)

hasselbladfan

LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:49:00 am »

Does anyone have the Leica MM already? The camera started shipping 2 months ago, so I would love to hear about your first impressions.

Is this sensor really that much sharper than a M9 in B&W?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:52:00 am by hasselbladfan »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Does anyone have the Leica M Monochrom already? First impressions?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:45 am »

I can't comment, but there are a lot of images and some discussion on getdpi
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica-m-x-r/40145-fun-leica-m-monochrom-8.html

hasselbladfan

Re: Does anyone have the Leica M Monochrom already? First impressions?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:15 am »

Indeed some nice work, but hard to judge in that format.

Anybody on Luminous who printed some A2s with M9 and MM?

hasselbladfan

Re: LEICA M MONOCHROM : first impressions ?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:47:00 am »

Nobody out there yet ?

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:15:14 am »

Why don't you go to the Leica User Forum? There are enough examples to choke the proverbial horse.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:49:55 am »

I believe Luminous members are more objective than Leica forum members. :)

hasselbladfan

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 12:45:22 pm »

I gave up !!

It seems : or nobody seem to have the camara or nobody want to talk about it :).

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:07 pm »

I gave up !!

It seems : or nobody seem to have the camara or nobody want to talk about it :).
Hi,
Well, I'll reply but must tell you that i cannot do a comparison as I have an M9 but not a Monocrom. It does appear that the Monocrom - from what i can read  - produces excellent files. But what is never considered is what lens was used to make the images. In my case, I make black and white and colour images with the M9 and with early versions of Summicron  lenses. I now print to 20 by 30 inches, that corresponds to an A1 size  and the prints are amazing. I imagine that given the availability of the Monocrom there would be relatively few people who work with both cameras.
Jean-Michel

hasselbladfan

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 06:55:46 am »

Agree. I don't think many people have both.

I was just hoping some M9 users, doing mostly B&W, would upgrade to theMM for better files.

I guess I will have to try it myself.

michael

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:31 am »

The key advantages and disadvantages were spelled out in my review. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica_m9_monochrom.shtml

For me, the ability to alter tonal value relationships in post processing is one of the great advantages of the post-chemical darkroom world, and the Monochrom gives that up in exchange for better high ISO and higher resolution.

Michael

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:22 am »

I believe Luminous members are more objective than Leica forum members. :)

Hello hasselbladfan,

I endorse 100% your post ;)

For the MM, I can't say lot of things about it. I used it in a show, it is like the M9P all black and without any marks on it, nothing. For the files ... probably good but somehow limited in contrasts edition only. For color luminance variation you are obliged to use color filters front the camera then.

For me, you should be VERY passionate and purist to go in a leica MM system ... Doing B&W files from colour file is sooooo much greater, easy and user-friendly ... at least the M9 or the M are, for me, far better beasts because you have the choice for this kind of price.

B&W out of a MM are marginally different that all other ff camera. Just hype from an expensive brand IMO, not a real utility in the photographic landscape.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Richard Morwood

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 01:20:53 pm »

H Hasselbladfan
I had a play with an MM a few weeks ago in Leica's Mayfair shop, or rather their upstairs gallery area which, ironically, is pretty much all black and white fixtures and fittings - not sure if that is the best place to test a B&W camera?
The MM looks and handles just like an M9 and the files straight out of camera were as I had been led to believe... flat and uninspiring.
Now I'm not a Leica fanboy and very far from any photographic expert, B&W or otherwise, but once opened in Lr4 I find the files extremely easy to make pop. I find subtle adjustments yield amazing results. Much more so than I have experienced with my M9 and Lr4 &/or Silver Efex Pro. I have printed a sample to 20"x30" and the detail is truly amazing. But then the M9 never ceases to amaze me with the detail it provides. ( I had a 35 Lux FLE attached, provided by Leica for me to try, so perhaps that is some of what I'm seeing too).
I am hopefully taking one out onto the streets in a week or so to experience it in the real world rather than a B&W room. We'll see how that goes but I am impressed with what I have seen so far.
Richard

hasselbladfan

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:16:45 pm »

Thanks, Michael. Great review as always. It answers my question on the resolution.

This means that, at the end, we won't see much difference in A2 prints of the new M and the MM, what it is all about. Technically, it is a great concept (to get rid of Bayer for B&W), but technology seem to have catched up already.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

For the files ... probably good but somehow limited in contrasts edition only.

I heard that once before.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »

Richard,
The Mayfair store offered me the same. So I will probably do it the next time I am in London.
Keep me posted if you try it before.
Georges

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 04:43:42 pm »

http://diglloyd.com/index.html

Has got into it and compared it to BW out of the Merril dp1 and the d800e in his payed Leica website
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

JeanMichel

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 06:35:30 pm »

Hi,
For an additional impression by a long term Leica user, Jean Bardaji, see his notes in his newsletter: https://rangefinder.camtecphoto.com/newsletter/2012/novembre/index.html

LFI (May/June 2012) has also published images by Jacob Aue Sobol made with a Monochrom and the new 50 Apo-Summicron that are anything but low contrast.

I do find that the ability of using LR's almost infinite variety of filters to convert the colour DNG's into black and white images is vastly superior to just using a yellow,green, red.. filter on the lens. So my second body is likely to be another M9 or the new M with a cmos sensor.

By the way, my one year old M9 developed some spots on the sensor, so off it went to Leica in New-Jersey and it came back in a few days, in spite of hurricane Nancy, with a new sensor, CLA and new body covering. Quite impressive service!

Jean-Michel

BrianVS

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »

I have one on order, will compare with the Leica M9. If it lasts as long as my old monochrome digital, I will be happy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:10:16 pm by BrianVS »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:02 pm »

Hi guys new here. My name is Allen and I have an M Monochrome and a 35 1.4 summilux asph and I love the camera and I love the camera and the glass. I have 5DIIs also and the mono has better high ISO performance than my 5DII. 3200 is amazing. At 10,000 ISO it kinda resembles the grain in tri-x developed in Rodinal more so than noise. I've been out on the streets with it and I love it. I had a good buddies M9 for a couple weeks when i went down to the Keys (my 35 lux came in before the mono) and it handles low light much better than the M9.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 09:19:52 am »

Heres a shot of the monochrom

Next to a 5DII

test shot at calumet 3200 ISO just levels no noise reduction

6400 IIRC

and a few from the street

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35   Go Up