Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....  (Read 332158 times)

Allen Bourgeois

Re: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....
« Reply #560 on: March 19, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »

Thanks Rob. I thought it was an interesting moment.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #561 on: March 22, 2016, 10:55:01 pm »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #562 on: March 27, 2016, 09:37:46 am »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #563 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:12 pm »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #564 on: April 02, 2016, 07:41:30 pm »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #565 on: April 03, 2016, 04:38:38 pm »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #566 on: June 07, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #567 on: June 07, 2016, 05:33:28 pm »

Delightful. Is this street or graphic or just good photography :)

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #568 on: June 07, 2016, 05:52:51 pm »

Thanks Mike,
It can be whatever you want it to be.

I received some really good news last week. One of my photographs was excepted in a juried exhibit at the Soho Gallery in New York. The curator and judge was Elisabeth Biondi. She was the Visual Editor of the New Yorker for 15 years. There were over 1500 submissions and only 40 were selected for the exhibit so I feel honored. The opening is Thursday July 7 at the Soho Gallery 15 White Street New York, NY

Heres the image they selected

And heres a link to the site. It’s a slide show but you can also click on the tiny ovals under the photos
http://sohophoto.com/participate/competitions/national/

Also my work is being featured in the next issue of Viewfinder Magazine. I also was asked to write an article along with 13 images they selected.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:43:08 pm by Allen Bourgeois »

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #569 on: June 08, 2016, 02:38:54 am »

That's fantastic, congratulations and you are I hope justifiably proud.

Nice image, but for me not your best so maybe again next year?

Mike

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #570 on: June 08, 2016, 08:13:49 am »

Thanks Mike and I sent 5 images. I never know what they will select for juried shows so I just usually send what I am shooting at the time there's a call work.

Rob C

« Reply #571 on: June 08, 2016, 08:56:32 am »

That moment catchs something really wonderful; as I said before, for me, I so wish it wasn't so bloody perfectly sharp and immaculate everywhere: it fights the soul, the emotional impact of the whole thing. I don't want to feel I am there; I want to feel 'what a damned good picture!' and I can't for as long as technique battles content.

Maybe this only happens with guys who remember what was going down in this genre in the 50s...

But still a lovely image, so don't let my sideline feel I am knocking you.

Rob

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #572 on: June 08, 2016, 09:23:04 pm »

Rob, it's like looking at images made with medium format in the 50s and 60's. Some liked it, some not so much. I like digital. I like film. They are different. I could always degrade the image by adding grain if I desired but if I wanted a film look I would shoot film. We can't all like the same thing or have the same preferences and that in my opinion is a very GOOD thing. I actually like the clean images I can get from my MM. The way I also think is this isn't the 50's and these images are of their time and should look like they are of their time. That's my opinion and many may not agree and that's perfectly fine. And in saying that I'm certainly not saying you are wrong for the way you work or want to present your images. But this is where I am at at this point in time with my work. Rob thanks so much for taking the time to look in and comment.
Allen
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:25:04 am by Allen Bourgeois »

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #573 on: June 09, 2016, 12:18:22 pm »

I have just been looking through a few of George Rodger's photographs taken in WW2 and if you want sharp he's your bunny.

This one printed is superbly sharp where it needs to be and has beautiful shades of grey.

Kid in helmet

Mike

Rob C

« Reply #574 on: June 09, 2016, 12:35:45 pm »

Rob, it's like looking at images made with medium format in the 50s and 60's. Some liked it, some not so much. I like digital. I like film. They are different. I could always degrade the image by adding grain if I desired but if I wanted a film look I would shoot film. We can't all like the same thing or have the same preferences and that in my opinion is a very GOOD thing. I actually like the clean images I can get from my MM. The way I also think is this isn't the 50's and these images are of their time and should look like they are of their time. That's my opinion and many may not agree and that's perfectly fine. And in saying that I'm certainly not saying you are wrong for the way you work or want to present your images. But this is where I am at at this point in time with my work. Rob thanks so much for taking the time to look in and comment.
Allen

Hey, Allen,

I know, we already threw this idea around some time ago - just saying I like the shot a lot, and that form my pov, it would, for me, have been better the alternative way. I'm not suggesting you are wrong - jusy airing my thoughts.

If I didn't think you had talent I wouldn't be commenting; however, I might as well shut up anyway and not 'offend' anyone even though it be unintentional. After all, it's not the critique section. Sorry!

Rob C

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #575 on: June 09, 2016, 01:04:08 pm »

Rob no problem at all. And we can certainly talk about the work. I find on forums far to little REAL conversation about work. I purposely want my work to be about these times. I don't avoid cell phones or advertisement. In fact just the opposite. If it's there and it's working with what i am trying to say visually it will be in the image. That's the way I work and it's fine for some maybe not for others and I am very good with that. Thanks for the conversation but I didn't take offense at all to your comments. In fact I really like the fact you have an opinion and it's ok if we don't agree. I probably agree with the Mrs more than just about anyone else and we don't always agree on things.

Oh here my work on LHSA and this is just a piece of the article I wrote and only a few of the featured images that will be in the article. If you join the entire article can be viewed as well as the latest digital version of Viewfinder Magazine which has the article in it as well as a terrific piece by Costas Manos.
http://lhsa.org/2016/06/spontaneous-relationships-the-m-monochrom/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:31:01 pm by Allen Bourgeois »

Telecaster

« Reply #576 on: June 09, 2016, 04:03:15 pm »

I received some really good news last week. One of my photographs was excepted in a juried exhibit at the Soho Gallery in New York. The curator and judge was Elisabeth Biondi. She was the Visual Editor of the New Yorker for 15 years. There were over 1500 submissions and only 40 were selected for the exhibit so I feel honored. The opening is Thursday July 7 at the Soho Gallery 15 White Street New York, NY

Heres the image they selected

IMO this is a fine choice. Even with the neutral/cool tonal palette there's a genuine warmth to this photo.

Congrats, Allen!

-Dave-

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #577 on: June 09, 2016, 04:10:41 pm »

Thanks Dave....

John R

« Reply #578 on: June 09, 2016, 07:17:45 pm »

Outstanding work Allen! To my eyes your bw work looks more natural and clean compared to most of the other BW images I have seen on LL and elsewhere. I see way too many BW images that looked "forced." You can the see the crunchy look they have, especially when they try to boost the contrast. They do not have a natural contrasty look, but looked forced. I don't know what accounts for your look, whether your post processing, the initial BW start without conversion from colour- or whatever- but your images look more like bw jpegs, straight out of the camera. Wonderful.

JR

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #579 on: June 09, 2016, 07:32:28 pm »

Hey John THANKS SO MUCH.

I credit the MM for a lot of it. It doesn't create some of the artifacts that can happen in conversion of color files. The MM is the only B&W digital that I have warmed up to.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:43:52 pm by Allen Bourgeois »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35   Go Up