Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: attempt at B&W landscape  (Read 1248 times)

mokenny

attempt at B&W landscape
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:13:06 am »

Tried my hand at converting this landscape from color to B&W using Silver effex pro.
Will appreciate comments as to how to improve the picture and post digital processing.

Thanks

Mo Kenny

stamper

Re: attempt at B&W landscape
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:50:43 am »

The processing looks too flat. Was this a preset? If so then a preset can be tweaked. The highlights on the posts could be lightened to give some more contrast and also the clouds could lightened.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:08:01 pm »

I too used SEP2 but I did it in several layers changing contrast and tonal ranges in each layer. That's the fun of working with SEP.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

mokenny

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:54:15 pm »

It looks like you have increased the contrast/ tone and brightness.  I guess I still have a lot of learning to do regarding post digital work.
Another lighter version is posted. Could you enlighten me as to how you made the clouds stand out ?

Mo Kenny
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:07:25 am by mokenny »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:20 am »

I believe I over exposed one layer and under exposed the next, painting out on a mask where I wanted the most contrast change. One thing to note is you can accomplish a lot of this conversion in the color version by working in the B&W adjustment mode, pushing and pulling the color sliders to suit. Flatten the original then take it into SEP, if needed. If you go to SEP, use it as a layer and mask again, keeping what areas you want more or less contrasty and again, painting out that which you don't like.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up