Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Markets for storm photos?  (Read 1925 times)

Colorado David

Markets for storm photos?
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:23:49 pm »

I just had a chance meeting with a colleague who is all hot about shooting storm photos.  It seems he knows a guy who specializes in storms who makes a bunch of money.  I guess it's possible, but I'm somewhat skeptical unless it is very timely and very dramatic.  Any thought?  Thanks.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Markets for storm photos?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »

I just had a chance meeting with a colleague who is all hot about shooting storm photos.  It seems he knows a guy who specializes in storms who makes a bunch of money.  I guess it's possible, but I'm somewhat skeptical unless it is very timely and very dramatic.  Any thought?  Thanks.

There's a chap who posts stuff here called Mitch Dobrowner. All B&W, some infrared, lots of drama. Stunning images. God knows how much time he puts into these things (or how wet he gets in the process). He has his own site as well: use Google.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:22:23 am »

There's a chap who posts stuff here called Mitch Dobrowner. All B&W, some infrared, lots of drama. Stunning images. God knows how much time he puts into these things (or how wet he gets in the process). He has his own site as well: use Google.

Jeremy

Mitch Dobrowner's website is here. I never met him in person but I had the pleasure to see a few of his prints. They are stunning, much more dramatic than on a computer display. The hurricane-like "storm" gallery is quite recent, the other galleries are also very nice. If I remember correctly, Mitch explained that for his famous Shiprock Storm photo (2008), he spent about ten days shuttling between Farmington and Shiprock, early morning, in December. He wrote that he stayed the whole day, from sunup to sundown waiting for the best light. He must be very patient to spend full days there, it's such an empty placeā€¦
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:24:49 am by francois »
Francois

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:35:23 am »

Those are certainly beautiful photos.  I think the guy I was talking with, though, was inferring more along the lines of The Weather Channel or something fairly immediate.  He said where this un-named third guy was selling was paying very well.  I know that all of the local media just expects everyone to give them their storm photos along with the copyright for the privilege of seeing their pic on TV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up