Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P45+ Points in details  (Read 3929 times)

stefsite2

P45+ Points in details
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:48 pm »

Hello, i have some problems sometimes with the phase one, lens are schneider 55 and 80mm. In little details, points appaers. It makes like scales a bit, it's really digital effect. This is for small details like grass, or small rocks, slim things like this. Even i reduce sharpness of course and other options to reduce points alone...somoene saw the same?join here a detail of a pic, at 100% size....regards
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:34:52 pm by stefsite2 »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: P45+ Points in details
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:09:42 pm »

Is this in capture one 6 or capture one 7?

stefsite2

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:40 am »

on capture 6....

Doug Peterson

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:56 am »

Try it in v7 or send me a link by email to the raw an I'll try it in v7 for you.

stefsite2

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:08:04 pm »

can i have you mail?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:34 pm »

Of course. It's in my signature...

Dep@digitaltransitions.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:33:35 pm »

Got your raw file. As I suspected the rendering of this sharp high frequency detail is significantly better in C1v7 than C1v6 or LR4. 

If you're new to the platform what you're running into are generally referred to as artifacts. It is expected with any bayer-patterned camera, and becomes more prominent the sharper the lens and with sensors lacking a low-pass anti-aliasing filter.

Capture One v7 handles the translation from bayer pattern (R/G/B sensor) into color with better detail retention and less aliasing artifacts.

Depending on your desired aesthetic you may wish to apply 10-30 points of single-pixel noise reduction in C1v7. Most of the remaining single pixel sized detail as shown in v7 is very likely actual scene detail, but, unless you're trying to be 100% literal you may find a low amount of single pixel noise reduction to produce a smoother and less abrasive rendering.

Capture One v7 is available as a 60 day trial. It's brand new and has the usual first-version bugs, so you probably don't want to use it on, for instance, a tethered shoot with a high-pressure client. But I think you'll be very pleased with the rendering for your high-detail shots. See this relevant thread for instance.

stefsite2

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:40 am »

unfortunatly, my windows doesn't accept 64 bits....:( thanks for explanation..this is so, arctefacts! but i'm still surprised a such great and expensiv camera bought by professionnal and perfectionnists personns have this kind of big problems...for me it's a big problem..i have almost sold my P45+ because of this!

stefsite2

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:13:52 am »

thanks a lot Doug, for the example i received.... effectivly, sharper, smoother, more details..all together, the V7!!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:43:25 am »

unfortunatly, my windows doesn't accept 64 bits....:( thanks for explanation..this is so, arctefacts! but i'm still surprised a such great and expensiv camera bought by professionnal and perfectionnists personns have this kind of big problems...for me it's a big problem..i have almost sold my P45+ because of this!

Situations like this illustrate of why working with a knowledgeable dealer can really pay off and save you headaches.

The alternative to these artifacts (before v7) is an AA filter in front of the sensor that reduces sharpness. If you've ever wondered why, at 100%, a Canon/Nikon file does not appear as sharp as your P45+ files it is because of a combination of this AA filter, the lens quality, and the extent to which the raw processing is catered to make the best final image. So all else being equal I'd much rather have no AA filter.

Now with Capture One v7 you get the best of both worlds: the fine detail and sharp rendering of a sensor without an AA filter, with minimal artifacts.

Re: your computer not being able to run 64 bit... Even an entry level Mac Mini, or baseline Dell would provide you a system which would run 64 bit Windows, Capture One v7, and in all likelihood would far outperform your current computer. I think you'll find many more professional software packages which require 64bit in the coming year or two, so now is probably a reasonable time for you to upgrade. I know it kind of sucks that we have to upgrade our computers every several years, but that, frankly, is the reality of the situation.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:46:43 am by Doug Peterson »

stefsite2

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03:10 pm »

thanks a lot for you precious advices!!
do you know a forum where i can post my phase one pictures?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »

Doug did a clear and perfect explanation.
You might also try softening areas that don't get cleared up, as I see these more in high contrast areas spilled into the highlights.
You can post them here in the MF DB topics

If you want to sell the DB, let me know
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up