Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mt Rundle  (Read 2148 times)

sdwilsonsct

Mt Rundle
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:30:52 am »

...in Banff National Park. Suggestions, edits, etc. appreciated.

churly

Re: Mt Rundle
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »

I enjoy the shots of Rundle, particularly the light in the first one.  They bring back lots of memories.  :)
You might want to go after the noise in the sky a bit.
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:04:40 am »

You might want to go after the noise in the sky a bit.

Good point: thanks! I often overlook sky noise.

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:34:19 pm »

I like the photos.  They capture the beauty and fun of scrambling up peaks like Rundle, but also show that you should be prepared for all kinds of weather.   I often thought about scrambling up Rundle, but there are so many great peaks in the Canadian Rockies that I never got around to it.  How did you get the photos?
Dean Erger

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »

How did you get the photos?

Hi  Dean,
I followed Hans Kruse's tip to use a 70-200 mm lens and shot from the pull-out just north of Banff townsite. I was lucky to get wind, snow, and a dark cloud in the background.

Some other recent pics from Banff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59795859@N00/sets/72157631994742013/detail/

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:27:26 am »

I like photo #1 and photo #2. I'm leaning toward #1 for my favourite, it offers a broader view of these majestic ridges and the spindrift is perfectly visible.
Francois

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:04:11 am »

In total contrast to Francois ( :)), as a composition, setting aside its subject, I like the third much the best - I love it. The others are interesting as records of the subject, but, compared to the third, feel a bit unbalanced as compositions, as if the crop of the mountain were a bit arbitrary.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:06:30 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

francois

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:53:12 am »

In total contrast to Francois ( :)), as a composition, setting aside its subject, I like the third much the best - I love it. The others are interesting as records of the subject, but, compared to the third, feel a bit unbalanced as compositions, as if the crop of the mountain were a bit arbitrary.

I dismissed #3 (and made mention of it) only because it seemed noisy (it might be the snow) or out of focus on my display. The composition and mood is the best of the three for me.

Edit: should be "and made no mention of it" instead of "made mention of it". Sorry for this mistake.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:19:57 am by francois »
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:27 am »

interesting as records of the subject, but... feel a bit unbalanced as compositions, as if the crop of the mountain were a bit arbitrary.

I agree, but most mountain shots seem a bit arbitrary to me. What to include?

#1 is the most popular shot on my Flickr site, and I was curious as to how it would be received here. Thanks, Francois.

#2 is just a close-up of the spindrift and the edge.

#3, as you can tell from the shape, is a more thought-out crop. Glad you liked it. It is mostly obscured by falling snow, but the closest trees should be in focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up