Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spurn point  (Read 2366 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Spurn point
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:34:22 pm »

Shot about a year ago, one side of the Humber estuary UK is formed by a fragile thin spit of land....with a lighthouse on it.

Spurn point lighthouse by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

francois

Re: Spurn point
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:55:22 am »

I like the square crop an the B&W processing. At first, I thought that the electric posts could be cloned out but in fact, they add depth to this image.
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:45:01 am »

I like the foreground grass and the light on the tower. Nicely seen.
I mention an apparent halo on the right side of the tower only because I am struggling with a halo in one of my own shots right now. Maybe I just need new glasses.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:46:35 am by sdwilsonsct »

francois

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:20:27 am »

I like the foreground grass and the light on the tower. Nicely seen.
I mention an apparent halo on the right side of the tower only because I am struggling with a halo in one of my own shots right now. Maybe I just need new glasses.

I noticed the halo but thought that it might be the JEPG compression.
Francois

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:33:22 pm »

Thanks for feedback...i checked the full res processed file re halo...none to be seen maybe is the compression or glare off the lens glass?
shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

churly

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:25 pm »

I notice the halo as well but wrote it off to glare from the sun lit rounded surface.  Not so sure because there seems to be a light band and a slight slight shadow on both sides. 

Does anyone know if the compression struggles with gradients?
Chuck Hurich

Larry Heath

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:32:58 pm »

Quite nice.

My suggestions

1. I’d like to see a slightly darker sky overall and more graduation of the sky top to horizon. The contrast between the light sky and the dark foreground is just a tiny bit too much, as well as the contrast between the light house dark sections and the sky. I’d like to see just a touch more detail in the dark portions of the lighthouse.

2. The beautiful light patch of grass in the foreground runs out of frame, I’d like to see all of it in frame if possible.

3. I’d also like to see a wider crop to the right again if possible so the cloud in the sky mirrors the foreground grass, with both in frame. Both the grass and cloud elements run out of frame leaving me with an unfinished feeling, like there is more to the photograph that I am not getting to see.

Still all in all quite nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up