Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rob C  (Read 227743 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Rob C
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:49:34 am »

Does anyone know what he's up to? I note that he's not been "active" here for a month, which is unusual.

Jeremy

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: Rob C
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:55:52 am »

Does anyone know what he's up to? I note that he's not been "active" here for a month, which is unusual.

Jeremy

I must admit to missing him as well. I never agree with him almost as a point of principle but he has 'old school' way with words which I do greatly admire.

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:15:44 am »

Jeremy,

Rob has closed his LuLa account and no longer participates.

Regards,

stamper

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:18:11 am »

But he might be lurking? :)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:26:57 am »

Too bad. I will miss him. He wrote with real wit and insight, expressing an original mind and a generous heart. I disagreed with him often enough but learned from him much more often.
Ken Cameron

Ray

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:34:45 am »

I'm surprised he has closed his account. Hope it's not because of failing health. I wish him all the best whatever the reason.

jeremypayne

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:38:26 am »

I'm surprised he has closed his account. Hope it's not because of failing health. I wish him all the best whatever the reason.

His account is not closed and this is not the first time Rob has taken a break from the forum.

Not saying he's gonna be back ... he has not been active on the site since October 15th ...

stamper

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:02:34 am »

Jeremy I think you are probably correct on this. I have had my disagreements with him and I believe he had computer trouble a while back. Hopefully he will soon be adding his wisdom again to the site in the future. :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 09:27:59 am »

Rob is fine, as is his computer. He just felt forum debates were starting to take too much of his time.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:28:34 am »

I was getting a bit worried myself - I even sent him a PM last week.  Did think about starting a thread like this one, but didn't want to be alarmist.  I expect the miserable old so and so is sat on the beach photographing the young ladies! :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »

Slobodan's right. I've been in correspondence with Rob since he dropped off, and I'd very much like to see him back, but I think he decided trying to discuss anything, including photographs, with the kind of posters who were rattling their heads in "Mitt Romney's Halo," was pretty futile. I tend to agree. On the other hand, I'm sure I can attribute at least some of what I saw to youthful inexperience. I think Churchill had it right: ""If you're not a liberal at twenty, you have no heart and if you're not a conservative at thirty, you have no brain." So take a look at that scale and see where you fall.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »

Jeremy,

Walter, I don't see anything to suggest that his account is closed. I hope he'll be back; it's not the first time he has taken extended leave from his posting duties here.

Jeremy

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 03:05:57 pm »

Slobodan's right. I've been in correspondence with Rob since he dropped off, and I'd very much like to see him back, but I think he decided trying to discuss anything, including photographs, with the kind of posters who were rattling their heads in "Mitt Romney's Halo," was pretty futile. I tend to agree. On the other hand, I'm sure I can attribute at least some of what I saw to youthful inexperience. I think Churchill had it right: ""If you're not a liberal at twenty, you have no heart and if you're not a conservative at thirty, you have no brain." So take a look at that scale and see where you fall.

We would all like to hold a debate under our own terms but alas that is seldom possible especially across the national and cultural divides that the web attempts to bridge. In this world there are gentleman's clubs of leather chairs and fine dinners and there raucous low life bars but when we venture upon an online forum we never know quite which we are entering. To make any attempt at vetting the membership will ultimately be self defeating as you will end up with the same half dozen good ol' boys getting utterly bored with each other and that is terminal.

WalterEG

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:26 pm »

Walter, I don't see anything to suggest that his account is closed. I hope he'll be back; it's not the first time he has taken extended leave from his posting duties here.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I am not sufficiently savvy of the ins and outs of LuLa to know.  But Rob has told me that he is now unable to post, whatever the reason.

He has admitted to looking in and I guess if anything is going to test him, this thread will.

Rob and I go back a long, long way and it is true that he has taken sabbaticals from time to time.  But I have also known him to withdraw completely.  Time will tell.

Regards,

W

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 04:38:28 pm »

We would all like to hold a debate under our own terms but alas that is seldom possible especially across the national and cultural divides that the web attempts to bridge. In this world there are gentleman's clubs of leather chairs and fine dinners and there raucous low life bars but when we venture upon an online forum we never know quite which we are entering. To make any attempt at vetting the membership will ultimately be self defeating as you will end up with the same half dozen good ol' boys getting utterly bored with each other and that is terminal.

Right, Justin, you can't vet the membership, but you can drop out. That's what Rob finally did.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jeremypayne

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 06:11:42 pm »

the kind of posters who were rattling their heads in "Mitt Romney's Halo,"

Everyone except you, right Russ?  ::) ::)

Ray

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

Very well put, Justin. Speaking for myself, as a rationalist, I have no objection to counter views on any subject as long as such views are expressed coherently. It's the 'ad hominem' attacks which are the problem.

As a general guide, posters should refrain from posting comments which they would not dare to make if they were speaking face to face with the persons they are addressing. It sort of smacks of cowardice to insult someone under the anonymity of the internet, or the safety of long distance.

However, poking a bit of fun and a bit of sarcasm now and again has to be tolerated. One should not be too thin-skinned when engaging in debate on internet forums.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 12:18:56 am »

Perhaps we can lure Rob back, if he is lurking, or celebrate him, if he has truly gone, with a few appropriate images. He likes fine automobiles, as I remember. I wonder what he would make of this - hunted down at home in Pasadena, where they are far from endangered. Maybe a bit vulgar for his taste, and I am pretty sure it would never have left the bitumen.
Ken Cameron

Ray

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:15 am »

Perhaps we can lure Rob back, if he is lurking, or celebrate him, if he has truly gone, with a few appropriate images. He likes fine automobiles, as I remember. I wonder what he would make of this - hunted down at home in Pasadena, where they are far from endangered. Maybe a bit vulgar for his taste, and I am pretty sure it would never have left the bitumen.

No! no! no! The cropping is far too tight. Makes the vehicle look a monstrosity. It needs to be surrounded by the sort of environment the vehicle was designed to traverse.  ;D

stamper

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 03:56:53 am »

Sorry Russ....no cigar. If he was unhappy with one thread then he can ignore it and engage in other threads. Rob can certainly make his point of view therefore if he gives it he has to take it? Over 7000 posts so he knows the score. Russ where are you on the scale? I don't think you are a shrinking violet and should have a look in the mirror. I will leave it at that for the sake of harmony. :-\
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up